At The Dark End Of The Street

Howard Emerson

Strat-Talker
Sep 20, 2019
Huntington Station, NY
Written in motel room in 30 minutes by Dan Penn & Chips Moman in 1966, this is an arrangement I've been working on for some time. Last night after having some pastichio, lemon potatoes & a Modelo, I set my iPhone 11 down, turned on the 1961 Tremolux w/15" Weber, bridged into a Fishman Loudbox Performer, grabbed Shelley and hit 'record'.

Hopefully I'll take it into the studio at some point, but this works.....open G w/low C, capo 4, D'Addario J-22 medium nickel wounds (.013-.056)

I hope you enjoy it.

Howard Emerson

WhiteWabbit

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2014
Canada
Written in motel room in 30 minutes by Dan Penn & Chips Moman in 1966, this is an arrangement I've been working on for some time. Last night after having some pastichio, lemon potatoes & a Modelo, I set my iPhone 11 down, turned on the 1961 Tremolux w/15" Weber, bridged into a Fishman Loudbox Performer, grabbed Shelley and hit 'record'.

Hopefully I'll take it into the studio at some point, but this works.....open G w/low C, capo 4, D'Addario J-22 medium nickel wounds (.013-.056)

I hope you enjoy it.

Howard Emerson

That was some nice Sunday morning listening. Just learned of this song via the Flying Burritos and that’s where I’m headed next. Thanks for sharing!

Tremendo

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 19, 2022
Kingwood (Houston) TX
I'm glad to see this classic is getting more exposure and giving some more pleasure!

I first became aware of the song through Ry Cooder's instrumental version on his LP Boomer's Story. His live version on Youtube with his Texmex 'Chicken Skin Band' and singers is astounding!

The Bajo Sexto backing during the solo is wondrous!

HE

Very cool cover you did. And this live version, the 2nd guy singing, the slide guitar, wow, love it..

TheMadStratter

Strat-Talker
Jul 5, 2014
Kentucky
I'm glad to see this classic is getting more exposure and giving some more pleasure!

I first became aware of the song through Ry Cooder's instrumental version on his LP Boomer's Story. His live version on Youtube with his Texmex 'Chicken Skin Band' and singers is astounding!

The Bajo Sexto backing during the solo is wondrous!

HE

Great version.👌

Love the sound of Rys Strat. Hard to believe this is the one he boogered up. It was fine the way it was. :(

Groundwire

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2021
Oregon
Really nice interpretation. Love the voicings, open strings ringing, and the not-too-busy bass lines. It’s easy to keep thumping the root notes on every downbeat, but the sense of space in this arrangement is really lovely. Well done!