ATTN: Dead Heads

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Rogue Bohemian, May 11, 2013.

1. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT?????

Oh sure. It's my post. Figures. It's a good thing I don't believe in any of that stuff.:D

2. jerrygator

jerrygator Strat-Talker

Sad anniversary day fellow heads. Nothin left to do but smile......

3. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

4. Stark

Stark Still an idiot

Yep...the real Last One, Soldier Field 07/09/95

5. Rogue Bohemian

I thought that it was the beginning of the end of an era. But, his legacy beats strong in the hearts of many and is the inspiration for the rest of the band to continue in their own projects and collaborations with each other. It has branched off in several directions.

And that's all just Dead related. That whole thing is happening with the JGB and work with Grisman.

And Jerry lives on in the hearts of thousands like me and Stevie. That spirit of living life will never leave me.

6. Stark

Stark Still an idiot

Yup! The double-punch of the music of the Dead and Albert King in 1990 knocked my @ss into an orbit that I'm still in now, far beyond "normal" and definitely beyond anyplace I'd been as a punk rocker, and I am still inn that orbit. I don't ever want to come down. ;)

I think the end started with the loss of Bill. I think it was in Dennis McNally's exhaustive biography where Jer was quoted as saying something on the order of, "with Bill gone, there was one less person who could cut through the BS"

7. Rogue Bohemian

Maybe it's time for someone new to cut through the BS. We'll discuss this in more depth in person. We're already a pretty good team.

8. michplayer

michplayer Senior Stratmaster

Was there.
    I have to force myself not to think about Jerry's death. Also Brent's.

I recall when Jerry passed, I was living in a small town between tours. I went down to the corner store that morning to buy milk. Guy behind the counter looks at hippy me and says, "Dude, Jerry died."

I didn't know what he meant, figured he mistook me for someone else. On the walk home I began puzzling over it: "What was that guy on about?"

Then it slowly struck me. I walked in to my house and turned on CNN and knew I'd have to settle down somewhere and get a job... horrible.

Greatest moment among great moments was a show at Buckeye (?)... it was pouring before the show, all the equipment covered by tarps. I thought they were going to cancel. Then, tarps off, yay! Then the first notes of the Beatles "Rain" floating out of Phil's amp... we rejoiced, we danced, we churned that mud.

I'll always miss hearing his silvery, liquid tone bouncing off my eardrums. His knobby knees, his goofy grin.

I just watched Downhill From Here, I was at all those Alpine Valley shows... and whoever did the text lyrics committed every mistake to the screen.

Attached Files:

9. curtain_with

curtain_with Senior Stratmaster

Good to see this thread still truckin along. Almost at the Days Between...

10. michplayer

Smiling on a cloudy day.

Attached Files:

11. Rogue Bohemian

12. michplayer

Ooh. I was all up in those shows like a burrowing tick.
    That's a book of my life back then.

I can recall staying at the same hotel as Billy. Didn't know it until he sat down at the breakfast table with us and asked if we "Have room for a drummer?"

13. Rogue Bohemian

That would have been cool. So, did ya'll let him stay?:D;)

14. michplayer

My brain was so not there that morning I'm sure my eyes actually boggled, with an Aa-oogah sound effect.
    I hope I didn't embarrass myself or him too much. We tried to be cool and forget he was a rock star. He didn't stay all that long but it sure was neat.

15. Stark

Stark Still an idiot

16. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

hey,buddy

I went to a sort of music revival type thing last weekend and the first guy who played did an acoustic medley of earlier Dead material to open. he kinda looked like RB-buddy .

i liked it :) .

17. Stark

Stark Still an idiot

Hey good dude!

That must have been quite a sight to behold!!

18. curtain_with

curtain_with Senior Stratmaster

Hey man, what a great experience! Sounds like you were lucky enough to have a lot of great times on the road. I was born a little too late, my first show was in Spring 93 when I was 16. Saw them 9 times before Jerry died.

It's nice to have another deadhead on the site! And I like your Bender av. I'm a big Futurama fan too. I'm not around much anymore, just getting pulled in different directions right now. But I come back from time to time just to check in on all the great people here. Nice to add you to the list.

19. michplayer

Nice to be on it!
    I'm really happy there's a Dead thread here, and it isn't one devoted to smack-talking them.
    I've always felt the only people who deserve to really criticize are those who loved them.

They gave me so many memories. The time on the left coast when a guy I'd known in high school walked through the crowd right in front of me... we were stunned to see each other... met my first wife at a show... the epic road trips with my best friend logging thousands of miles ... the INTENSE rush as everybody heard the first notes of the return of Dark Star, we hollered almost through the first verse...

20. michplayer

Okay.
    I'm listening to Cold Rain and Snow, 9/16/90

Good Lord that's the worst keyboard playing I've ever heard. Again.
    Wow. It's just awful.