Audio to Tab transcription? Or something else?

BuckNekkid

Strat-O-Master
Nov 28, 2016
Virginia, USA
For years (decades?) I have been a fan of Quicksilver Messenger Service and the guitar work of John Cipollina (Gary Duncan ain't half bad either, but that's a different topic). Cip's playing was unique: He had a '59 Gibson SG that he wired specifically for his rig (which is on display in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) and that he played with thumb- and finger-picks and a whammy bar. Others have said he didn't bend strings, he used the whammy to that effect. His sound was as distinctive as it was inventive. Sadly, he passed away in 1989 from emphysema at the age of 43.

The opening track on QSM's debut album was their version of Hamilton Camp's Pride of Man (also performed variously by Gordon Lightfoot and Gram Parsons). Cipollina plays a 30-second solo that just floors me. I've played this song for years and always "faked" my way through it. Now I want to learn it properly.

I thought the days of playing a measure or two and repeating it ad infinitum until learned were past. But for the life of me, I can't find a tab of this anywhere (only chord charts). There is one guy online offering a YouTube lesson, and while he's got the solo down pretty well, his teaching style needs ...refinement. And no tabs.

There is a computer program called AnthemScore that purports to use AI to analyze a sound file and produce a transcript. The output can be musical notation or guitar tablature! I downloaded two versions, one for my Mac and the other for my Linux box. The Linux program dumps core immediately when I ask it to open a file, and while the Mac actually spins and churns and creates an output file, the resulting notation or tab looks nothing like the notes I know are in the solo. The problem may be in the source mp3, but I can play it in any audio player, so that isn't my first thought.

Okay, so to the question: Does anyone know of or have a tab to this song? Can you point me to a source (I have an account on Ultimate Guitar, but they lack a Pro version, and though I have requested one, there's no telling if or when they might create one).

If you're not familiar with the song, here is the version straight off the album:

(John's solo starts at 2:16 and runs about 30 seconds)

StratoStrummer

Strat-Talker
Feb 26, 2021
Puglia
I wish I could help you. But I don't have a tab of this solo, and I have myself faked my way through so many songs over the years (decades?) that I am in no position to offer any advice.
I have listened to this song for the first time today.
I wonder what is your technique, if you also play with thumb and finger picks, since the most fluid phrases of this solo may rely on this strategy.
Vibrato here... another beast to tame.
But why don' t you post a cover of the solo? I am now curious to see how really far ( or near?) you are from the original.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Perhaps if you used one of the tools that pulls individual instruments out first... then went back and tried to pull a tab from just the guitar track?

4wotitswurth

Strat-Talker
Oct 31, 2020
Texas
Yeah, always liked who do you love. This shows his technique sort of close up. The solo doesn’t sound that difficult on the above, but the combination of vibrato and picking with a pick would be an issue I think, his thumb pick makes that technique somewhat easier as it frees up his other fingers to lay on the bar… just my amateur opinion….

StratoStrummer

Strat-Talker
Feb 26, 2021
Puglia
Yeah, always liked who do you love. This shows his technique sort of close up. The solo doesn’t sound that difficult on the above, but the combination of vibrato and picking with a pick...

Tremendous.
I would not want to be the one who wants to learn this stuff exactly and in details.
Seriously, I think that the amount of improvisation in these solos should be considered. It makes things even more difficult to learn and replicate properly.

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
There are YouTube channels where the guy will transcribe any song you send them, for a fee. I can’t find them at the moment but I stumbled upon his channel while searching for a RHCP song.
Fat guy, ****ty apartment, wierd GF walking around in the background. But his tabs were spot on.
I mean they’re out there.

BuckNekkid

Strat-O-Master
Nov 28, 2016
Virginia, USA
I have often made a song "my own" by improvising bridges, comping chords and faking my way through. I've done this for years with Pride of Man. My goal in this case is to play the song live, acoustically (Hamilton Camp and others did it as a folk song) but make it more like the Quicksilver version. Cip's bends are almost impossible on medium gauge acoustic strings, so I already have to do slides instead of bends. In fact, I love improvising on this lead, but on the album version, it doesn't sound improvised. And I'd like to have the actual structure down before I stray.

(Incidentally, Cip once expressed amazement at the wowed reception the band got on the Who Do You Love Suite, saying "heck, it was only a two-chord jam.")

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
For years (decades?) I have been a fan of Quicksilver Messenger Service and the guitar work of John Cipollina (Gary Duncan ain't half bad either, but that's a different topic). Cip's playing was unique: He had a '59 Gibson SG that he wired specifically for his rig (which is on display in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) and that he played with thumb- and finger-picks and a whammy bar. Others have said he didn't bend strings, he used the whammy to that effect. His sound was as distinctive as it was inventive. Sadly, he passed away in 1989 from emphysema at the age of 43.

The opening track on QSM's debut album was their version of Hamilton Camp's Pride of Man (also performed variously by Gordon Lightfoot and Gram Parsons). Cipollina plays a 30-second solo that just floors me. I've played this song for years and always "faked" my way through it. Now I want to learn it properly.

I thought the days of playing a measure or two and repeating it ad infinitum until learned were past. But for the life of me, I can't find a tab of this anywhere (only chord charts). There is one guy online offering a YouTube lesson, and while he's got the solo down pretty well, his teaching style needs ...refinement. And no tabs.

There is a computer program called AnthemScore that purports to use AI to analyze a sound file and produce a transcript. The output can be musical notation or guitar tablature! I downloaded two versions, one for my Mac and the other for my Linux box. The Linux program dumps core immediately when I ask it to open a file, and while the Mac actually spins and churns and creates an output file, the resulting notation or tab looks nothing like the notes I know are in the solo. The problem may be in the source mp3, but I can play it in any audio player, so that isn't my first thought.

Okay, so to the question: Does anyone know of or have a tab to this song? Can you point me to a source (I have an account on Ultimate Guitar, but they lack a Pro version, and though I have requested one, there's no telling if or when they might create one).

If you're not familiar with the song, here is the version straight off the album:

(John's solo starts at 2:16 and runs about 30 seconds)

I found the guy I mentioned. This is an old video. Go to his home page.