AVRI’s Are they some of the best out there?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bluesman1956, Apr 3, 2021.

1. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Was wondering what the feeling was among the group with regard to the AVRI Stratocasters. Where they some of the best short of Custom Shops produced? I had one a while back let it go and started to think about a Custom Shop. After seeing the current prices of the CS I went back to looking for a AVRI. I found a beautiful 96’ in Candy Apple Red in mint condition and I’m going to buy it. I feel they are a great value on par with the CS models of the day and I’m not a big relic fan as well. Any feedback?

Attached Files:

2. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Yes absolutely. Great line of guitars Fender got it right with these

bluesman1956, NateH and StummerJoe like this.
  3. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I think they're great, and so do a lot of other folks. "Best"? That's subjective to the individual, but they're certainly up there amongst the better guitars they produce.

bluesman1956 and NateH like this.
  4. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

No.
    Mine was an absolute piece of sh*t.

Nice body, functional electronics, warped neck. Said warp ignored by fender's authorized service center until after the warranty expired. Despite repeated efforts to get them to address it.

That represented the last dollar fender ever got out of me. Anything else fender that passed through these hands was purchased used.

Handsome McClane likes this.
  5. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Mine is sublime

StummerJoe likes this.
  6. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I'd probably be salty too.

rolandson likes this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Only when I make Chefs Chocolate Salty Balls ....

children.

Guy Named Sue and StummerJoe like this.
  8. LTigh

LTigh Strat-Talker

There's a lot of good ones out there, as well as some dogs. A little too rich for my blood, not being a gigging musician anymore. If I want to strum on one I can pop over to my buddy's (he's big into the AO/AVRI stuff) or (well, not so much anymore since you've got to make an appointment now) pop by Norman's after work to hide from traffic.

Aforementioned buddy also let me try out a couple of his Nash models-- can't say I'm into the relic thing either, but those played real nice and gave the AVRIs a run for their money.

9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Yes. In some cases easily the equal of CS stuff, particularly the early AVRIs (which weren't called that at the time).

guitarchaeologist and NateH like this.
  10. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

My AV '59 is just a superb guitar. Easily the best Fender I own.

11. the dark sailor

the dark sailor Senior Stratmaster

We talking AVRI (82-2012) or AVS(2012-18)?
    Well I had an 83’ 57 and I loved that guitar. The nitro was beautiful with perfectly natural checking, the darkening of the maple neck, the 2tsb was was art in its purest form, the smell when opening the case was god like. Neck joint was good. Never noticed.
    Things I didn’t like. The pickups were too bright. No depth almost twangy.
    Things I hated. The headstock was/is the wrong profile. And the narrow 12th dot spacing. I get it though, early 80’s Smith era. But I couldn’t stand looking at it. It killed me. It was the first thing I saw when I walked in the room. And then there was the ack neck profile. Not a soft V. Not a large sharp V. Like a really small C. Probably the most important parts of that era strats. The the headstock and the back profile. All of theses issues were fixed through as that series continued and I believe by the 2000’s sometime it was all good till they fazed them out.
    Now the AVS 56’ that I have is a 2012 and I absolutely can not part with that. It’s perfect! Fit an finish, pickups, neck profile shape (large soft V), nitro. It feels good, it plays perfect, it looks incredible.
    My 2 cents.

Nokie likes this.
  12. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

my 2014 classic series 60's tele is a poor person's avri. the fit and finish is top drawer.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  13. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I'd like to find one that comes anywhere near my MIJ. It hasn't happened yet.

Ebidis and Stonetone like this.
  14. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

I'm more fond of its predecessor, my Springy's have 'better', to my liking, specs.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  15. stratman323

Does an AV59 count as an AVRI? I thought that term only applied to the 1982 - 2012 57& 62RIs?

16. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

AV is AVRI. Whether or not an individual year of American Vintage was vintage accurate, my understanding is that they were intended as reissues.

17. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Thanks for all the replies both positive and negative. I guess it boils down to a purely subjective conversation. Like any guitar it’s eventually up to the player to make that determination. Like I mentioned in my post my first inclination was to obtain a Custom Shop, the majority all being relics which aren’t for me personally. Then the prices, way over the price I can justify. I know they are top self they say but are they really worth the price. I have a Suhr Classic Antique that I would put up against one any day. Though it’s honesty a lightly relic guitar.

18. the dark sailor

the dark sailor Senior Stratmaster

I also owned a 1960 CS closet classic at one point and it was top notch. So with that experience imho, my vote would be that the “pure vintage series” produced between 12-18 are just as good as custom shop.

bluesman1956 likes this.
  19. stratman323

You're missing my point. My understanding was that only the 1982 - 2012 guitars were collectively known as AVRIs. Later guitars had different acronyms, such as the AV59 & AV65 which were collectively known as AVs.

Isn't that correct?

Nokie likes this.
  20. stratman323

The 1982 to 1987 AVRIs were made before the Custom Shop existed & many of the small number of people who worked on the early ones went on to become Custom Shop staff.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.