AVRI’s Are they some of the best out there?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bluesman1956, Apr 3, 2021.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

True. That's because y'all allowed Fender & Gibson to decide what was or wasn't allowed into the USA. We didn't. I never did understand why this was tolerated.

On the other hand, y'all pay a lot less for your American & Mexican Fenders than we do in Europe.

Are we still in Europe? :confused: It's hard to know...

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  2. OttoG

OttoG Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Dunno if it is an AVRI, but it is a 62 Hot Rod, and it is one of the best guitars Ive ever played.

62.jpg

3. stratman323

I thought it was 2012 but I may be wrong.

I briefly owned a 2012 AV59, & it was clearly of similar quality to the earlier AVRIs. Great guitar but the neck was fatter than I like so I let it move on to a more appreciative owner.

4. stratman323

That's an interesting point - does a 62RI Hot Rod count as an AVRI? I suppose they were the forerunners of the later AVs since they had fatter necks than the standard 62RIs.

Once again, gorgeous colour - Sherwood Green?

5. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Yes 2012 is what I thought too but there are early 2011 AV guitars. Yes that hot rod is the same as the AVRI series but different due to it being a hot rod version.

Maybe a easier way to remember is just to look at the year being reissuesd say just strats here.

So AVRI had a 57 and 62 regular and hot rod version. Then the AV series came and dropped those years and introduced the 56, 59 and 65 Strat. Now the new series dropped specific years altogether and just say 50’s and 60’s

If someone has a 62 reissue it’s safe to assume it’s a AVRI.

Nokie, Cymro and stratman323 like this.
  6. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Thrup'ny Bit and Ebidis like this.
  7. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

LOL!:D

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  8. OttoG

OttoG Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Yes! Sherwood Green, baseball bat neck. Hefty and with awesome sustain. Love it. =)

the dark sailor likes this.
  9. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Strat-O-Master

I know, just wanted to say it feels, acts, sounds like a real CS.
    Is Tropical turqoise...

10. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Here are my AVRi hot rod 62 compared to a classic player and a vintera modified. Clean tones only.

bikehomero likes this.
  11. stratman323

Gorgeous colour.

Erm, I don't understand what that means. What does a "real CS" feel, act & sound like? And how is that different to what a real AVRI feels, act & sound like?

12. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

I think my next guitar will be something MIJ. All of you forum dwellers have convinced me- I just wish the daybreak limited edition stratocaster was more readily available.

13. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

The 2012 - 2016 series of American Vintage has always received the AV (not AVRI) distinction from me because they were less a reissue and more an extension of Fender production, as if none of the subsequent "improvements" ever happened. They had the clay markers on the slab rosewood necks, the wax and oil cap under the pickguard, original case candy. On the '54 version they had the bakelite-type plastic, rounded edge to the pickup covers, and mini-skirt knobs that cracked if you just looked at 'em, as well as the proper Louisville Slugger thick neck, a very nice soft V on the AV '56. Fender didn't go as far with these deets in their pre-2012 American Vintage series or even with some of the CS models that were given vintage year titles.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  14. stratman323

So having knobs that crack is good? I don't get it man....

15. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I had an AV52 Tele from the 2011-2017 era. The series were actually called Pure Vintage, or PV52. I believe they were the most "vintage accurate" Fender ever produced. Certainly it was a beautiful guitar.

16. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I honestly didn’t know there was a difference in the naming.

17. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

Yep, they had knobs that cracked in a stiff breeze, finish that crazed at the slightest of temperature changes, big fat baseball bat necks that hurt your hands when you try a bar-chord, and we liked it!!
    Dana Carvey Grumpy.jpg

But seriously folks - I never said it was good.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  18. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

I have the AV54 strat and my extra polystyrene plastic kit is getting used up. Just pickup covers left now, one cracked tone know left!! @nutball73 This series was called American Vintage(AV) however the parts available during this period are called “pure vintage”. If you google fender pure vintage 56 strat it gets corrected to American Vintage. 2AED72A5-7853-4908-8CDB-C568B90E9D19.jpeg

Nokie likes this.
  19. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

Yeah, as an owner of the AV '54 and the 2014 60th Anniversary Heavy Relic, I keep a spare couple of those Pure Vintage '54 plastics sets unopened as I know the knobs will also crack shortly after installation. I let the original knobs crack away - and they all have. The spare sets are kept in case I ever sell the guitars. I won't put 'em on even then but will include them. Fender went way too brittle when making this formula. The previous 50th Anniversary Masterbuilt had a brittle plastic that didn't break as easy. I have that Strat as well and the knobs have no cracks

20. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Yeah it’s the whole reason why fender stopped using them. They also didn’t yellow either. You can always spot a 54 with swapped out covers/knobs as they are yellowed. I had to swap mine because the volume one wouldn’t stay on.

Nokie likes this.