AVRI 54 Strat - Bridge

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Ratylird, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Ratylird

Ratylird Strat-Talk Member

Hi guys,

So I have the chance to buy a AVRI 54 strat, but the seller says that the trem arm snapped inside the bridge. Just wanted to double check that I’d be ok to replace it with a pure vintage trem? Assuming that’s what they use on the reissues?

2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken I think the 54 reissue had a specific trem bar with a bakelite tip since the 54 reissues knobs and covers were made of that.

Ratylird likes this.
  3. gmann

gmann Strat-Talk Member

A good tech can get that term arm out.

4. Ratylird

Im not too worried about replacing the arm, is the bridge the same? I’ve saw that some reissues have a different trem block and have the Fender stamp on both sides as opposed to the Pat pending stamp. I’ve asked for photos but he hasn’t got back to me yet. Spacing would be the same wouldn’t it?

5. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

Pretty sure it has vintage size mount on them like all the AVRI has..

Ratylird likes this.
  6. Ratylird

thanks, I’m assuming the pickup routes are the vintage shallow kind? Or are they the more modern deeper ones? Never had an avri so just want to make sure I have all the info. The listing doesn’t mention anything about that

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Mine has the "FENDER" script on the saddles and AFAIK this is normal: https://www.fuzzfaced.net/american-vintage-56-stratocaster.html

I would not worry too much about this specific detail. It's a great guitar, and if you get it at a good discount for the term arm I'd snatch it, have the tip out, and buy a replacement tree arm.

8. Fenderbaum

Not sure about the pups. Let others get on that.
    I ordered a pure vintage trem myself recently, and the only difference beween a vintage trem and pure vintage is that the pure vintage has the pat. Pending stamped saddles.
    Should mount well on your guitar.

9. Ratylird

I knew that about the vintage/pure vintage, just weren’t sure if that’s what was used on these or if it was something else entirely.

10. Ratylird

Thanks for the info man. Do you know about the pickup routes? Are they the shallow vintage ones or just modern standard?

I’m definitely tempted in buying it. Always heard great things about these guitars.

11. Fenderbaum

I would just put a callaham block on it. Keep the rest of the old trem.
    You get a more firm and floppy-less arm.

Arm piece is not snapped inside the bridge.
    It is stuck in the tremolo block.
    Now.. If it is the 60th Anniversary 54 Reissue, (Which is probably one of the most vintage correct guitars Fender has made) i would try and salvage the old block, get a tech or someone with an idea how to get the broken piece out.
    Unless it is screwed all the way to the bottom, that piece should be lose.

Thinking mostly about resale value and keep it stock and original.

Would still put a Callaham block in it though, and keep the original block.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Ratylird likes this.
  12. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-Talker

Pat pend saddles or fender/fender saddles can go on any vintage trem.

blocks themselves can be different.
    The usual vintage style, or the Eric Johnson style, that have very shallow holes for the string ball end. not sure what’s on yours. Below shows both types.

The ej style block and the pat pend saddle parts are the most correct for a 1954 strat.

I have no idea what’s on a AVRI 54?
    if I was building a 54 style strat I would use them parts. styrene plastics, no line vintage tuners. That is 54 style. To me it matters.

but that’s just me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Ratylird likes this.
  13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Sorry, forget all I said. I misread and thought you were discussing the AV56. Never had a 54 in hand, though I've only read great things about it and again I'd surely buy it at some discount for the PITA of removing the tip.

As to routes: I never knew routes could be "shallow" or "deep". Here are those of my AV56 in case this may help any.

Happy quest!

IMG_1047.jpeg

Chipss36 and Tguitarfloyd like this.
  14. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

In any case, if you buy it be sure to ask for the broken arm, if the seller still has it. You'll want the bakelite tip from it to put on a replacement Fender arm.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  15. Tguitarfloyd

Tguitarfloyd Strat-Talker

I used to have a '94 40th Ann. 54 reissue and at that time the saddles were Fender/Fender. They changed that to pat.pend. saddles in later year reissues. Spacing would be the same. Do you know what year this particular 54 RI was made? As far as the body goes, I'm sure all Fender's vintage style guitars have the vintage routing for pickups and go even as far as differentiating between 50s and 60s routing for the pots and switching area, with 60s style having the extra ledge for that pg screw south of the 3 way. I am admittedly a Fender fanboy, but after 60 years of playing, have grown to trust the brand (along with their big competitor Gibson). Don't have that 54 RI now, but do have a nice 56 RI in roasted Ash that doesn't weigh down this ol' boy. I would recommend picking up this particular 54 RI you're considering.

Chipss36 likes this.
  16. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

Just chiming in here to note that the 2012-2016 American Vintage guitars are not given the RI and are known just as AV '54, AV '59, etc... The earlier models are the AVRI. This is the terminology that has been accepted because the 2012 and beyond AV's were more a continuation of the original production than they were a reissue. In addition to original specs, they included original case candy, wax and oil caps, and on the '59 rosewood, they had the "clay" dots. Some of these features weren't present even on custom shop tribute guitars.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  17. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

Ah ok...I understand now.Yes the 54 reissue has the same bridge assembly as my 56,59 and 65 ones.The pure vintage series has the Fender/Pat pending engraved on the saddles and the strings ends sit deeper in the block.The bridge assembly from the previous AVRI 57/62 say Fender on both sides of the saddle with no Pat Pending and the strings are a little closer to the outside the block not as deep in.