Avri '62 Pickups With Unknown Markings

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by GitboxBowhunter, May 17, 2020.

1. GitboxBowhunter

GitboxBowhunter New Member!

Any help identifying these pickups would help! Thanks! 20200321_193833.jpg 20200321_193833.jpg 20200321_193833.jpg 20200321_193847.jpg

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

guitarchaeologist likes this.
  4. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, it's a full shield, so I'm guessing a '62 reissue from 2000 (based on pot codes), but as mentioned by @Guitarmageddon we need to see the wire color and pole piece tops.
    If I am right in my dating and they are original, I believe they should have beveled pole pieces and orange/copperish wire. The EC written on them does not look factory to me, but easily could be... if so, no idea what it means.

Pickups.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    GitboxBowhunter likes this.
  5. GitboxBowhunter

the magnets are an exaggerated bevel. I'll snap a picture in a few... the windings are definitely copper colored.

6. GitboxBowhunter

I appreciate the info. I knew those things, but still much appreciated. I'm more so wondering about the markings... no idea. I haven't found any other pictures online anywhere of other avri's with similar markings. I believe, when I got her in March this year, that the guard and neck had never been removed before. you can kinda tell by certain details... thanks for the reply though. I'm kinda thinking they might be a mistake custom shop swap. but then again... idk.

7. GitboxBowhunter

BTW... Neck reads 5.97k, middle 5.84k, and bridge 5.63k. Best sounding pickups I've had. bell tone\chimey\srv style. thanks guys.

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Then that makes them Fender 57/62 pickups - I have them in one of my Strats and I think they are the best vintage sounding Strat pickups out there...the only drawback is hum in all 5 switch positions

9. GitboxBowhunter

yup, but I don't mind the hum... maybe the guy who put them in just wanted to put his initials on em. either way... I agree, best strat single coils I've had. had the custom shop fat 50's, the pure vintage 59's.... couldn't compare. 20200517_191226.jpg 20200517_191240.jpg 20200517_191401.jpg

guitarchaeologist likes this.
  10. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

It looks to me like there's been some subsequent soldering done.
    In particular, the folding over of the black pickup leads is a trick some installers (myself included) use to allow further mods without the need to extend leads.
    I've never seen Fender themselves use the technique.

As to the "EC" markings, that seems rather counter-intuitive on a non-maple '62.
    Maybe someone's idea of applied "Mojo" ?
    Has anyone else seen Fender factory "EC" markings ?

11. GitboxBowhunter

I know you can't see it in the photos, but the volume pot date matches the two tone pot dates. The solder joint on the volume pot is unmolested. The ground and hot were touched up by me because the wires were only connected by half of them, the other half were brittle and broken. So, I unsoldered it, cut the bad section off and re-soldered it. Before me, they were unmolested as well and both matching in patina and diameter\materials. I loved the fact that when I got it, the only things that had been touched were the 3-way swapped for the 5-way, and someone added straplocks. I removed the strap locks and installed fender vintage strap buttons. The frets had some serious pitting in the lower register on the G, B, & high E strings. I tried a level, crown, and polish on them but unfortunately they were just too low for comfortable bends at that point. I recently put wide\jumbo frets on her. I gotta say... I'm loving the way she plays now. I had to swap the old nut for a new bone nut because after the re-fret, the A, D, & G strings buzzed at the first fret. I tried about 3 or 4 different truss rod settings, 3 different action settings and even took the neck off to see if removing the shim would help. It didn't. So new bone nut in, old melamine nut out. I was surprised to see it wasn't bone... it's marketed as being bone, but wasn't. Anyways, I saved the original nut, the frets even. lol. I'm kinda thorough and OCD with her. I wanted her to be as original as possible, but man!, she sounds like a howling bell monster! haha. best playing and sounding strat I've ever held. Body date is is from nov 30th 2000. Neck is Nov 29th 2000. actual dates could be from oct-dec 2000.