AVRI 65 production date

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Crakeling, Jul 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Crakeling

Crakeling New Member!

Greetings! I got a used AVRI 65 in Dakota red. Everything looks correct but the only thing that is bugging me is that the neck is dated 2012 while the body is dated 2015. Pots are also 2012. I'm wondering if the body was replaced down the road? The part number on both body and neck are correct, and this is for sure a flash coat lacquer body. What do you guys think? Just fender being fender?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Guitartist Silver Member

An enigma.
    According to the Fender site, the serial shows a red 65 AV, but it does not give a year of production.
    According to the catalogs, Dakota Red was available in 2012 (matches the neck date) & 2013, but was not an option in 2014 or 2015 (Mar 2015 on body). In those years only Sunburst, Shoreline Gold, and Olympic White were offered, but I see no evidence of a refinish.

The body code (93575) and the neck code (93386) are both correct for a 65 AV.

Can you 1) show the fingerboard of the neck and 2) show closer views of the pots with codes?
    Maybe we can learn more from photos of these features.

EDIT: pot dates, neck date, and body color option all suggest a 2012, but the body date/color option present a problem. An enigma indeed.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Nate D and Crakeling like this.
  3. Crakeling

Crakeling New Member!

Thanks for the catalogue info, an enigma indeed. Here is a picture of the entire guitar. Pots are a bit tough but I can clearly see the pots are marked 1212 for the date, so week 12 of 2012?

Attached Files:

guitarchaeologist likes this.
  4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

Too long of a gap between 2012 to 2015 to have been issued as the original guitar...surely a parts guitar.Also the bridge pickup is not original which only suggests the parts guitar theory even more.

BlueCajun and AxemanVR like this.
  5. Crakeling

Crakeling New Member!

It came with the original pickup as well.

AxemanVR and sonny wolf like this.
  6. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I like to call em' hybrids :D

I don't think the name 'Parts guitars' or 'Partscasters' is right if they comprise high end FENDER genuine parts.

Cheers. :thumb:

Crakeling likes this.
  7. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Yes we know the story on yours @Parksie. However yours left 2 different factories and 2 different styles of guitars. A 60’s body with a 50’s neck. I can grab a bunch of factory built custom shop high end parts off eBay and build a hybrid or would it be a partscaster? Either way yours is a bit different then this one.

This is a true 65 strat made in the same factory and the same era 2012-2017 AV Strat. Yes there’s a oddity with the neck and body being a gap in years neck 2012 and the body being dated 2015 when the fender bible says the colour didn’t exist. Well is this catalog 100% accurate, was there info left out, we all know brochures and catalogs can be wrong.

Still doesn’t explain the 3 year gap but unlike Parksies guitar, this was all made in the same factory, same time period, same series. So could the neck have sat for a period of time?

Do you have all the case candy? What is the serial numbers with this candy, do they match the body?

8. Intune

Also looking closer at the pics, the neck heal only has what looks like 1 colour of paint transfer, which is red. I mean it kinda looks black with red but I think it’s just red. Could be wrong but if that neck had been on a different guitar you’d expect to see the original colour along with maybe same red transfer from this one. I only see the one colour.

9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

This is interesting. With Fender you can "never say never"; just a haphazard guess but maybe a factory warranty replacement body in Dakota Red for a defective 2012 body?

Intune likes this.
  10. Intune

Yes that could be a possibility also. I’ve had 2 custom shops now with factory neck replacements. They don’t put a date though just pencil in the serial number. Well at least that’s how it is on my strat.

You can never really go off the catalog or brochures for exact specifics for this reason here. The colour wasn’t available in 2015 or was it just left out of the catalog by mistake. Again I’ve had custom shops I’ve owned that said as per “the vault” available in so and so colour but I’m holding a colour not listed.

11. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

For those who may not already be aware, Fender’s catalogs aren’t always the best reference for what actually leaves the factory...

For instance, this 2006 Fender Frontline catalog lists "Brown Sunburst" but not "Three-Color Sunburst" as a finish option for their Standard Strats - but then clearly shows a Three-Color sunburst Lefty Strat!:

Strat.jpg

In addition, my 2006 Standard Strat body also clearly shows a Three-Color sunburst (notice the difference in color under the pickguard area):

2006 Std Strat c.jpg

Furthermore, here's a picture of a 2012 Fender American Standard Strat that I use to own, which is listed that year as having a "Three-Color Sunburst", but I always thought it looked more like Two-Color Sunburst myself... so go figure...

Strat2012b.jpg

Strat2012.jpg

To make matters even worse, Fender has "Brown Sunburst", "Two-Color Sunburst" and "Three-Color Sunburst" finish options on their color charts:

Sunburst (1).jpg

The so-called "Brown Sunburst" pictured above looks a lot like the finish on my 1996 Fender Standard Telecaster, but nothing like the later 2006 Standard Strat body shown earlier (the center is actually almost orange on this one!):

DSCN0098 small.JPG
    Sunburst.jpg

And the black part of the Two-Color Sunburst on my 2019 Fender Road Worn 50s Strat looks way thicker than the color chart picture, but, granted, still looks like a Two-Color Sunburst finish at least:

RW 02-02-2020 b.JPG

`

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  12. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Fender has never and does never spray cherry red part of the sunburst under the pickguard, since it's covered they save on paint.

13. Intune

I think he’s just point out that it’s actually 3 colours not just the 2 under the pickguard. Obviously if it was only ever 2 colour sunburst was does the rest of the body have 3 colours. I think that’s what he’s pointing out.

Regardless it just goes to show you that these catalogs are probably not made up by guys who actually know and play guitar. A marketing team and editors get the finally product and give the thumbs up to print, which might be the case. Then guys use these as bibles to prove people wrong or argue the fact that in the bible it doesn’t say it happened.

AxemanVR likes this.
  14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

`

Yeah, what @Intune said...

`

Intune likes this.
  15. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Guitartist Silver Member

Yes, assuming the available published factory material is generally (and often) mistaken is probably a much better way to approach things.
    We work with the resources we have at hand until something is shown to be more reliable.

16. Intune

No exactly, how can someone be wrong when it says right there in “available colours”, oh wait it’s not listed. I’ve seen this more than once and not just with guitars.

So yeah this is a odd one but you put some real world thought into it and see that neck looks like it only belonged to one body. Contact fender and we all know what they’ll say. Fender AV body and neck. Ok cool. I’d say if the serial on the neck plate matches the neck date then I’d take a wild guess the body was a replacement within the 3 year period.

Crakeling likes this.