Avri 70 Strat neck specs

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by IanB, Mar 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. IanB

IanB New Member!

For 70 Strat reissue owners- how thick is the neck? There’s no specs. U shape, 7.25 radius- That’s All, I would like to buy one, what to expect? Neck determines tone as well so knowing 56,65 and The new Original series I don’t know nothing about 70 RI tone. It’s alder one with rosewood fingerboard that I’ve found

2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

The re-issues started in 1982, and, to my knowledge, there never was a 1970 re-issue Strat.
    So I'm confused as to which model you are looking at.

3. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

There was an American Vintage 70s Strat in the 2000s - it starts in 2005 and goes until 2012. It was discontinued when Fender revamped the AVRI series to the AV series in August 2012, but there were an FSR run with matching headstocks in either 2013 or 2014.

EDIT: It came out mid-year in 2005 and shows up in the 2006 catalog (page is numbered 55 but for whatever reason its "59/235" in the PDF's numbering):

https://guitar-compare.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Fender-2006-Catalog-Pricelist.pdf

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Erik_C and ptb1 like this.
  4. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-O-Master

I had one and got rid of it...the U was a bit chunky for me. But I have small hands and am most comfortable with modern C.

IanB likes this.
  5. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

Approx 21mm at the 1st fret and approx 23mm at the 12th fret.

The shape and measures it the same on the MIM 70s Classics too.

IanB likes this.
  6. possumkiller

possumkiller Strat-Talker

I always wondered what exactly was different between the avri 70 and classic 70. Apart from one less string tree, everything else seems to be the same. It doesn't have the correct round laminate rosewood fretboard or 7mm pearloid dots. I guess USA would mean a bone nut and avri bridge. What sort of pickups came in it?

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

You can't really say anything about tone from knowing the profile of the neck. A guitar is an entity, not a bunch of standalone parts.

I don't have an AVRI or a reissue (I did own a MIJ ST-72) but I do have an actual 1977 Stratocaster. The measurements stated above, 21/23mm is pretty accurate for mine. The neck has a U shape but is anything but chunky. It feels very slim, without feeling like an Ibanez, if that makes sense. The neck on my MIJ ST-72 was identical to this one when it came to top/bottom measurements but it had a different taper.

The neck on my 77 is one of the most comfortable I've ever played and when itbcomes to sound Ibhaven't played another guitar that sounds like this one. Nothing else sounds "right" after playing it.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

I´m not sure. Listed as Vintage Style Alnico 5.

Mine is a really early Production - oct 2005
    Looks like this:

IMG_1189 (1).JPG
    As you see - the BP in mine was a SL-59, but I have now replaced it.

IMG_1192 (1).JPG

possumkiller likes this.
  9. weavzy

weavzy Strat-Talk Member

Ive got a 2006 model. Love it. Great guitar. Neck feels good to me. Was my number one for 14 years. Gigged with and played heavily...

But..

About a year ago, the finish developed air bubbles underneath and huge (HUGE!) chunks of finish began to flake off.

But i still love it.

Its the bottom sunburst one. The back is pretty much bare. I might get it resprayed oneday.

20201112_090748.jpg

10. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

^ Strange that the headstock logo on your´s deviates from mine?!?

IMG_1823.JPG

Can´t tell that I ever have seen a 70s AVRI with the logo on Your guitar.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  11. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Me neither. Very unusual.

Then again I always assumed they were reissues of the very first of the '71 three bolts. Single string tree was only about for a brief period before two became the norm in '72 and the earliest guitars did leave the factory with the old two piece bridge and bent steel saddles I believe that he AVRI has. Assuming Fender were bothering about such details on AVRIs then you'd think they'd get that right even if the MIM Classic Series 70s and Vintera 70s can't get the later block saddles right and that would mean they're recreating a very very early three bolt guitar.

There was a debate in the thread for CBS headstocked or 70s strats about whether any of these early 3 bolts with bullets ever got the older decal from '68 on with the large 'With Synchronised Tremolo' script. It was certainly still being applied to some of the last of the 4 bolt guitars from around spring '71.

Whether it could be vintage correct is one thing but why that particular AVRI is different to the others is quite another. Of course that combo is perhaps available on other strats now ... the Robin Trower I think has it from memory.

12. John C

Well Fender did call it the "70s", not specifically a "72" or "74"; I think their goal was to have something that was evocative of the 1970s Strats without recreating the things people would typically replace - like bridges. So they just used the AVRI bridge.

I think that's ultimately why this model didn't stick around - the Classic 70s (and later Vintera 70s) model did the same thing for less money. If the ultimate difference in the two from a specs standpoint was the pickups then it was still cheaper to buy a Classic 70s and modify it with the pickups of your choice than to buy the USA model (and possibly still not like the pickups).

Hopefully Fender will figure something out from a wood perspective and bring the Vintera 70s Strat back - maybe with an alder body? - to fill that hole in their lineup.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

You could say that about all AVRIs or AVs in comparison to all Vinteras though surely.

What does an AV62 have really that a Road Worn Classic Series didn't? .... Different pups? Pat numbers on the headstock decal? Anything else ... Pat Pend saddles? How about an AV59? Just different pups and saddles and one less screw in the pickguard?

Ultimately you'd hope it's also better wood selection, the best most vintage accurate finishes (target bursts, chocolate bursts, 3tsb with faded red on the '59s etc), better quality steel in the hardware which itself is closer to the originals all on top of those few visible differences.

PS. Weavzy ... what is the maple cap? Looks like a Custom Shop '69 with a light relic finish?

Whatever it is it's gorgeous.

14. John C

At least back then you were getting a nitro finish (over poly but that's another rabbit hole) on the AVRI '57 and '62 vs. the poly finish on the MIM Classic 50s and 60s models; both the 70s USA and 70s MIM should have been poly (urethan on the USA, polyester on the MIM).

But I agree that back then you would have hoped for better wood selection on top of the better finishes and hardware on the USA vs. the MIMs.

15. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

I don´t think that it´s an 70s AVRI at all. Is it a partscaster?
    No strats from 2006 looked like that one. Here is some pics from the 2006 catalouge:

2006 69 Stratocaster.JPG
    70s AVRI 2006.JPG

16. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

My original 71 x 4 bolt Strat has a 1.575 nut width, which is typical for original Strats from 65-73-74.

17. weavzy

weavzy Strat-Talk Member

Yeah its an avri. I put the "WITH SYNCRO..." decal on myself years ago. And the black plastic ware.

18. weavzy

weavzy Strat-Talk Member

Its a 2020 FCS 68. And its amazing!!