AVRI pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by martin1964, Jul 27, 2020.

1. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

I have a couple of questions in relation to AVRI pickups and also Fender 57/62 pickups people can buy from Fender dealers. My first question is in relation to black bottom staggered pole 'vintage' pickups that were factory installed in both 'Fullerton' 57 and 62 reissues between 1982 and 1984. I am aware of red bottom and grey bottoms preceding the black bottoms and have stamped 82 grey bottoms in one of my 57 reissues. At what stage (year) did Fender stop using those exact pickups in their AVRI Stratocasters ? For example I have here a set of vintage USA black bottoms with staggered poles that are identical in appearance to the set in my 1982 JV ST62-115, same formvar coating and other details. I found them last week after recalling I had them in a 1989 MIJ ST57-70 but swapped them out for Texas Specials. The 1989 57 reissue came with USA vintage pickups just to clarify.

My second question is when did Fender first start marketing their 57/62 pickups and were they ever installed in AVRI Stratocasters ?

2. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

Red and gray bottoms were only used in 1982. Some '82s even have black bobbin pickups- and those were the exact same pickups (part #99-2043-000) used until at least 1998 (black bobbin, non-beveled poles, cloth covered lead wire, enamel (purplish) coated winding wire- NOT Formvar (orange). Post 1998 "Original 57/62s" (different pickups all together- part # 099-2117-000) had Formvar winding.
    You could buy '82-'98 57/62s from a Fender dealer back in the day, but I believe they were sold individually, not as sets. I bought several back in the late-80s/very early 90s. Wish I had kept the packaging because I haven't seen that type packaging since.

57-62 replacement pickup.jpg

As for 57/62s being available in AVRI Strats, that gets tricky due to using almost the same name for two very different p'ups "57/62" vs "Original 57/62".
    Also, the first series was the American Vintage series (1982- circa July 1998). After that they became the American Vintage Reissue series- also fairly different guitars.
    So, the 57/62s were not used in the AVRI series, but "Original 57/62s" were.
    However, like any change-over, there may have been a few with mixed parts I suppose.

CLICK on image to enlarge...
    Stratocaster Pickup Specifications & Identification v4.jpg

From a letter Fender wrote to me years ago when I had a question about one of my AV series Strats...

AV to AVRI change .jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    beaz likes this.
  3. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

I would like to thank you for providing such detailed answers to my questions. I did make a mistake in my original post as you have pointed out, I said formvar instead of cloth when I was referring to the hookup wire coating. I too have never seen that packaging for the 'Original '57 & '62 pickup' and wasn't aware until now that they were available from dealers albeit as singles rather than sets. That chart is great, detailing identification and specifications. The set I have here from the 1989 MIJ ST57-70 are black fibre bobbins, non-beveled etc. as you have described and identical to what's in my late 1982 JV ST-62-115. Thanks again for answering my questions completely and accurately. Cheers.

guitarchaeologist likes this.
  4. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Fender used the same "exact" pickups in all '57 AVRI and '62 AVRI Stratocasters from 1982 to 1998.
    The only difference was the colour of the fibre flatwork in 1982.
    Depending on which source of Fender literature you use for reference they were referred to as "'57 & '62" or "'57/'62".

The pickups were always available through the dealer service channel as replacement parts.
    They were jobbered for retail around the time of the CBS to FMIC transfer.

https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2012/07/fender-57-62-strat-pickup-first-reissue.html

IMG_20200728_025009_1.jpg
    Mid-late '90s package.
    This one carried the 1982-1998 part# and has dark marroon enamel windings with about 6.0k resistance, but curiously has the later type exaggerated bevel making it a 1998 'transition' example.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  5. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

Actually there is something else I would like to know more about and that's the grey and red bottom fiber pickups with staggered poles. I have grey bottoms factory installed in a JV '57 reissue from mid 1982. The pickups are dated with 82 date stamps. I'm aware that both grey and red (sometimes a combo of both) appeared in both early 1982 AVRI and early to mid 1982 JV . Did the grey bottoms with staggered poles only appear in 1982 or were they used before also ? I'm assuming there were grey bottoms prior to 1982 but when did grey bottoms with staggered poles first appear ? Also whether grey, red or black were all made in-house or did Fender use various contractors to supply them ?

6. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

Interesting. I've not seen those. Got any pix?

7. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

Thanks Tone Guru. I enjoyed reading that article describing the differences between the pre and post 98 pickups. Very interesting there was a 'transitional' version as you have described with the beveled poles. Great stuff, thanks so much !

8. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Fender makes their own pickups for US guitars.
    "Grey bottoms" with staggered poles first appeared in 1964 and were used in regular production until 1974 when flush poles appeared.
    The use of grey fibre flatwork in 1982 was only for a very short timespan (as was the red) before they settled on the 'vintage' correct black fibre.
    I'm not sure about feaures of the import guitars, I'm hesitant to speculate.

9. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

Thanks again I've learned a lot from you guys today !

10. stratoforce

stratoforce Strat-Talk Member

Hi,
    I have all three original pickups [and the electronics, bridge, tuners, and term bar from my tragically long lost Fullerton '57 reissue Strat. If you need more information.

Best,

stratoforce

11. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

So it sounds like you modified it and kept those parts and sold the guitar ?