Awesome new hum/noise cancelling device

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by ilovenoise, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

I tried this once too, before I understood why it doesn't work. The impedance of a second pickup changes the resonance of the primary pickup, in some way that is audibly different. The dummy coil has to be designed in a way that it generates maximum noise voltage while not also loading the pickup. The dummy coil can be wired in series or parallel with the primary pickup, either way it loads the pickup.

But the dummy coils with a wide area are able to produce just as much voltage without the high impededence, so they're more invisible to the primary pickup. They will still impact the primary coil to some degree, so you might still hear a difference, but it shouldn't be half as bad as using a second pickup as the dummy.

Diamond D, The_Whale and Bob Spumoni like this.
  2. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-O-Master

Someone with a handle on electronic math could probably write about a two-page set of instructions for a $10 diy version. The math is needed to get the right match for the p/u. Note that Ulrich has diff. versions for various impedances and rw/rp.

3. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

IDK, if that hum's so bad, get an acoustic!

Part of the whole electric guitar thing is that hum in the background, reducing it is good, but am I the only one who feels like eliminating it, entirely, is sort of like a castration !

SalvorHardin likes this.
  4. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Looks like a cool thing.

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Yep, a rose by any other name...

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

I
    I second that.

7. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Bingo.
    Traffic signal detector loops are 3-4 turns 6ft in diameter.
    DCR is effectively zero, yet their inductance acceptable range is from 50 to 500 microhenries.... about 10% that of a guitar pickup.

The_Whale likes this.
  8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Strat-Talk Member

I've never been able to talk myself into compromising my pickups sound. I just live with the hum which isn't so bad when buried in the music. And by the way, nothing heard from the OP?

Dibbs likes this.
  9. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

He only posts every 7 years.

10. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Long standing accounts must be a commodity for turning product endorsements. How much can I demand for putting in a good word about a product? 6 years, 4k posts.

The_Whale and CB91710 like this.
  11. CFFF

CFFF Strat-Talker

Good question. I think the answer can be be quite a lot. I discovered your work by accident when I read your analysis of the Donlis Double Cream humbuckers. I and I know that many others buy them since then. I am delighted with the ones that I did buy and I got more. Great company.

I know that you have a large collection of pickups that you pay in total a lot of money. If I was to begin to sell pickups I would send them to you free with no obligation for you to review but not offer money. Respect to you :)

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  12. stratman103

stratman103 New Member!

That's a lot of money for a dummy coil.

Ebidis and CB91710 like this.
  13. jaymenon

jaymenon Strat-Talk Member

Well I installed an Ilitch back plate on my strat.

Middle Pickup is RW/RP, and so the coil is connected such that it is inactive (out of circuit) in positions 2 & 4; and comes into play only when individual pickups are selected.

in my experience hum-cancelling pick ups sound lovely on their own but don’t have the magic of a set of traditional Stratocaster pick ups in the in-between positions. The Ilitch preserves that ‘quack’ tone.

There is one problem however. My Stratocaster is very nicely screened with foil and graphite paint. Since the hum-cancelling coil is on the back of the guitar (outside the screening) therefore when I take my hands of the strings/metal parts I do get inductive buzz in positions 1 3 & 5.

my solution:
    [​IMG]

CFFF likes this.
  14. coolrene

coolrene Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, basically the same method as the Ulbrick system. Certainly less sexy, but seems to work and won’t cost you more than one of your old, unused pickup…?

15. coolrene

coolrene Strat-Talk Member

What if you were to wear long pants :p?

16. GlockandRoll

GlockandRoll Strat-Talk Member

My friend has one, it works excellently.

17. Ansilgregory

Ansilgregory New Member!

Just a quick question, Have any of you all ever tried taking a smalle optoisolater the cost about 11 cents. Connecting the middle pickup directly to the pot via the isolater. A simple feedback system tells the guitar to add in the middle pickup when you stop playing or the threshold is reached. Works in 1 and 5 positions. Doesn't affect tone. Its your pickups 2 and 4 already have it. And well I designed it and I don't play on middle single coil so I didn't care.

18. aviavi

aviavi New Member!

I have the Ilitch (same as Suhr I believe) dummy coil system on two guitars. On the first, I used a toggle switch to be able to turn the dummy coil on and off because I was paranoid about tone kill. On or off, the difference turned out to be negligible - like 99% the same - except for hum was dramatically reduced. And that 1% maybe was better? Certainly not worth worrying about. (I believe there are Youtube videos showing this switch in/out difference with the Ilitch system.) On the second guitar, I installed it without the toggle. I think much of the "tone" difference people discern is simply that hum is kind of part of the sound that we're used to. And some hum is usually totally fine, except when you find yourself either on a stage with some gnarly lights or trying to record in front of a computer equipment.

It might be possible to wire up the Ulbrick on a toggle switch too. It is a bit cheaper than the Ilitch system, but the Ilitch is embedded in a pickguard or backplate, making it perhaps more convenient to install.

Anyway, personally I love the Ilitch system.

EC Strat likes this.
  19. Yelloman

Yelloman New Member!

I installed an ILitch system in a '64 strat that my friend and customer would not use live because of the noise problems.
    It is available as a pickguard or backplate. It was amazing, no tone change, pricey yes, but worth it if you want to play your vintage instrument without noise suppression toys or finding that "sweet spot" position that reduces the noise. I am not affiliated with Ilitch, I'm an independant luthier in the NYC area. https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/. You can actually talk with the creator himself....a sweet old man.

20. Yelloman

Yelloman New Member!

Its all about the noise floor, play loud enough and you dont hear it! Well until you stop playing. LOL

Diamond D and soulman969 like this.