Awesome new hum/noise cancelling device

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by ilovenoise, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Paying a lot of money to make a noisy guitar...less noisy(and def not noise..less) doesn't really appeal to me....this is for the...i want nitro instead of poly for the guitar to breath...guys....

SalvorHardin likes this.
  2. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Strat-Talk Member

Really hard to listen dot dot dot to your post dot dot dot. That's what it sounds like.

jbylake likes this.
  3. Dreamdancer

Use the dummy coil to block the dots.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Strat-Talk Member

As good an answer as I've gotten from most sighted posters in various forums. Whatever happened to the traditional sentence, one might ask.

5. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Strat-Talk Member

I have facebook looped in my hosts file, so I'm not checking this out, but remembering a password 7 years later is easy if you always use the same password. Also, browsers keep track of them and there's password managers.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  6. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

My view is that if the hum bother you, non-noiseless single coils probably aren't for you, and that's ok. It's how they breathe, when you suffocate them, you lose part of what they are. Can't get around it.

As with many things in life, you can't have the best of both worlds. Keep it simple and focus on the music.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  7. Dreamdancer

Traditions change over time...In the years to come for example people ll have perfect tones inside their phone and they ll talk about the time that some heathens used back breaking tube amps to get their sound.Just like with electricity and the wooden stoves....that dummy coil is your wooden stove....

8. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Truer than true. :thumb: Funny thing is we never worried about hum 40-50 years ago. We just plugged in, turned it up, and played.

But volumes have come down and if you record at all eliminating that hum is a must. I don't bother using mine at home because I'm not that loud and the hum from P90s is minimal but in some clubs they'd sound like a nest of angry hornets.

9. Fuggle

Fuggle Strat-Talker

May 21, 2010 was a big day for both of us. :thumb:

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  10. The Tortoise

The Tortoise Strat-Talk Member

Wow! Only $249 + shipping and you too can do what a brand new set of Fender Gen4 "noiseless" single coils does...for $50 less and free shipping.
    What at DEAL!! And you get to deal with international shipping. BONUS!!
    So glad the OP decided to post an advertisement for their new device...

byron0420 and myredstrat like this.
  11. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

TBH I'd sooner buy an overpriced Illitch knock off than stacked humbuckers. I took a chance on Areas, and they were supposed to be the best.

12. Antigua

I'd be interested in seeing that math, but none the less, it's probably better to just add wire until the hum noise is equivalent, which is to say cancelled, because non-idealities in real life components will cause the math to be worthless. In fact I think the Illitch system has trim pots that you're supposed to tweak in order to get the best hum cancelling.

With humbuckers it's not necessary to trim it or do any math, because two the two coils are practically identical in all respects. But when DiMarzio developed the Areas, they would have had to do some trial and error for the dummy coil, because it uses a different coil on the bottom (and that's why they're so much better than Fender Noiseless), and the top coil of the area ends up having an inductance of about 2.5H, but the bottom is only 0.7H, and the DC resistances are very different, so that would have involved a lot of fine tuning, probably just adding more turns of wire until it sounded good. The lower coil obviously poses less impedance, so it doesn't hamper the primary coil as much. It's obviously not going to be as good as a dummy with a coil area of some six inches diameter, but it will be a little better than just taking an ordinary humbucker, stacking the two coils and calling it done.

dirocyn, Bob Spumoni and CB91710 like this.
  13. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-O-Master

This is a fascinating post which I'll have to study more closely when I have the time. What is most interesting to me at first blush is the question - and it's a huge, even dire question more broadly these days - how one assesses the limits of math/science. Math and science are critically useful, no doubt ; but at some point, particularly in phenomena which are complex - and I actually think ALL phenomena are complex (particularly those involving human beings, or beauty), or that our understandings of them inescapably are - at some point intuition, insight, exploration through metaphor, the play of context or gestalt....have to play a role. Put more generally, ALL truths/insights are partial, and other truths, or modes of knowing, or methods of reflection, are necessary to supplement any understanding or method of understanding, including the scientific/empirical, mathy one. It reminds me of the place of music theory in our playing. It is absolutely essential in my mind, but to an important degree our goal ought to be to leave it behind, to listen, and play, taking the word 'play' very seriously.

Anyway, those are my initial, ill-written and muddled thoughts on it. I'll get back to you after the dentist has lightened my wallet.

dirocyn likes this.
  14. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning Strat-Talk Member

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it - a kit to 'stack' yer single ?? I'm not at all sure you could cut the hum and leave the output from the single unchanged

CB91710 likes this.
  15. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Seems like part of that math is here: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/coil-inductance-calculator/ but I'll admit my eyes glaze over...never was all that good at maths.

The addition of trim pots makes sense--different pickups have different output volume the more precisely the volumes match, the more complete the cancellation.

Probably you can minimize the change, perhaps even to the point most people wouldn't notice.

The Ernie Ball Music Man's "Silent Circuit" uses a smaller coil and then amplifies its signal (using a 9v battery and op amp) to match the volume of the hum. This type of system probably has less effect on the output signal than most people can hear.

16. Antigua

The amount of noise should correlate with the inductance, but inductance involves the whole coil, where as noise voltage is dependent on where the noise source is relative to the coil, which is why the guitar is more or less noisy as you turn your body. The DiMarzio's lower dummy coil has less inductance than the primary, by a lot, but it has a higher ratio of steel or iron in the dummy coil, which you can see if you look at the underside of an Area pickup, and that might increase the noise level relative to the inductance.

dirocyn likes this.