Baby Copperhead Season

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stormsedge, Oct 15, 2021.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Chuck8436 and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Copperheads are the only venomous snakes we have in the immediate area. Luckily they're not terribly dangerous compared to some, and are not aggressive. They try to get away if something is annoying them. One of our dogs was bothering a copperhead and got bitten in the nose. She was a little slow for a day or so, but recovered fully. When my kids were young I relocated a few of the snakes away from our yard.

4. stormsedge

Yes...I've no beef with them. I know I have a kingsnake or two around here, so I probably won't see any anyway. As long as they are not under or directly around the house, they can live their snake lives in peace.

Edit: the last I looked, it was illegal to kill any snake in TN anyway...keeping the vermin under control.

Triple Jim likes this.
  5. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

One thing I hate is snakes.

6. stormsedge

7. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

I read somewhere, at least as far as rattlers are concerned, that young snakes tend to be more dangerous as they give all their venom in a bite, where as older snakes have better control.

Growing up in Thailand I gave snakes a respectful distance.

8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Had a little on on the back porch and a grown up up in a swallow nest during the last year.

stormsedge likes this.
  9. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

Snakes don't like me .

[​IMG]

Bowmap, fos1 and stormsedge like this.
  10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Right, we welcome black snakes of all types for that reason. I occasionally see one in the garage or even the house. I don't spend half a day tearing everything apart trying to catch it. I figure it'll eventually leave on its own, and it seems I've been right so far.

stormsedge likes this.
  11. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I've heard the little ones are more dangerous. They tend to over-poison victims b/c they don't know how to control the amount

bbarott likes this.
  12. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

33db likes this.
  13. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

A couple of years ago my wife surprised a 2-foot copperhead hiding under a rug on the outdoor patio.

She thought she might have been bitten, and so we took her straight to the local ER.

My wife survived the event, but the poor old copperhead died of the venom IT ingested...

space, stormsedge and ukoldgit like this.
  14. DJGranite

DJGranite Senior Stratmaster

I had Copperheads, Water Moccasins and even a Canebrake Rattler around when I lived in Eastern No Carolina (17 years)
    I actually picked up 3 baby Moccasins under the leaf litter on the banks of the Tar river while looking for worms while fishing. My first year there. Showed the nice fat worms to my friend who informed me as to what they actually were.

Another fishing trip from a Jon boat I was less then 2 feet away from a 5 foot+ Moccasin hanging from a tree branch over my head. The person operating the trolling motor, 14' away, was fascinated as he had never seen one so big. I was using my pole to try to keep some distance but it just kept bending. His mouth was wide open, very white and almost soft looking. I know exactly why they are called Cottonmouths.

The Canebrake was by the Alligator river, on shore in swampy land.
    Couldn't retreat fast enough, couldn't go around, so that snake didn't make it. just over 6' long, 12 rattles and a button.

Copperheads were more common though... still better than this.
    California woman who thinks snakes are under her house discovers 88 rattlesnakes - pennlive.com

stormsedge likes this.
  15. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

We don't have much in the way of snakes in the UK (@Thrup'ny Bit frightened them away), however, we do have the common adder which can give you a nasty nip, rarely fatal unless allergic but best avoided.
    Had to do a risk assessment for some of our guys working as Range Wardens on a live Army firing range picking up all the rubbish from firing programs i.e. all the fins/casings/shrapnel etc, this put them at risk of snake bites when picking up as they favoured the nice warm spots hidden in the ranges heather & gorse (the snakes not the wardens).
    One of the more odd RAs I have had to deal with.

Thrup'ny Bit and stormsedge like this.
  16. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-O-Master

I have a long-standing agreement with snakes of all kinds: You stay out of my way, I don't blow you into itty-bitty pieces.

Funny thing, I used to spend every free minute in the hills, and to date, I've never had a run-in with a snake of any kind "out there". In the family's back yard where we stored lumber, now, is a completely different story. My brother killed six copperheads at once a couple months ago, under a piece of leftover roofing. And, of course, my great-uncle's back yard - his house sat right on the banks of a small lake, and I damn near stepped on a big honking cottonmouth sunning itself on the path down to his place. It was a tossup as to who was the most startled, me or the snake. Moral: Don't let people tell you there are no cottonmouths in southeastern Kentucky. Might not be any now, but there sure as heck was at least one in the summer of 1967...

muttonbuster, bbarott and stormsedge like this.
  17. tubedude

tubedude Strat-Talker

And of course the notorious Black Adder.

ukoldgit and Wayne Adams like this.
  18. stormsedge

Anybody's guess. Do you know a good one?

19. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Duck duck go. As long as you don't need to map it or call the place.

Technically Google is the most powerful, but it comes at a price. Aka spyware.

stormsedge likes this.
  20. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-O-Master

As far as poisonous snakes go, we have Coral Snakes, Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes, Timber Rattlesnakes, Pygmy Rattlesnakes, Water Moccasins and Copperheads in GA. Copperheads are the most common poisonous snake around here though. Had to kill more than a few that were too close for comfort! In GA, you can kill poisonous snakes but not non-venomous snakes. Not to say I would just kill a venomous snake for the heck of it but if it's around the house it's gotta go!