Baby Swallow rescue!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ChrisD, Aug 1, 2020 at 8:17 AM.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

I was just walking to the car this morning when I noticed a little swallow jump/scramble under the car. Managed to get a hold of it after it fluttered about a bit, it seemed weak and disorientated. I put it into an old nest box I had in the shed and for the most part it sat huddled up in the corner, I didn't think it looked too good!
    20200801_104330.jpg 20200801_120255.jpg

We have a very prolific cat so I thought it best to keep it in the shed out of the way!

I came back an hour later and tried to feed it insects and worms with a small set of tweezers but it wasn't having it, just sat huddled up. I was going to put it back when an adult swallow flew over and chirped causing the little ones eyes lo light up and it called back. I brought it out on my hand to see how it reacted and it flew away like a little rocket up over the tree's and around the side of the house where its nest had been!

I wish it well, I hope it makes it to Africa in a few weeks time. Amazing how a little thing like that can make your day:):)

hornpiper, Boubou, Ted J and 5 others like this.
  2. gutshank

gutshank Strat-Talk Member

Way to go, the little ones sometimes need our help. Not being indifferent makes us better people.

3. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

We have a Wren nest in a fire extinguisher box. The first batch did well a few months ago. But the second ones died yesterday. I'm guessing the heat didn't help

False alarm. Evidently my neighbor was mistaken. I saw them moving this morning

20200714_151042.jpg 20200714_151005.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 11:33 AM
    Engine Swap likes this.
  4. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Gold Member