Join Strat-Talk Today

Back to school....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by GuitarSlinger, Aug 17, 2007.

1. GuitarSlinger

GuitarSlinger Strat-Talker

On Monday I'm going into what should have been my second to last semester before getting my Associates degree in computer programming (now I'm looking at 2 more since a couple classes were cancelled).

Apparently after this semester I'll be "certified" in a couple different computer related area's (I better learn a lot these next 16 weeks :D) including webpage design and computer networking.

I went back to school last spring (after dropping out for a couple years of horrible manual labor work) to earn a degree as a fall back plan, JUST in case I'm not able to become a rockstar :rolleyes:

I want it to be over already, as it seriously cuts into my guitar playing time.

2. Strat-Talk

Strat-Talk Administrator Staff Member

Admin Post
    All those sayings are correct. Take the time to get a GOOD education. Don't expect that going to school is going to hand you anything. You'll still have to claw your way up out of the horrible jobs, but with good schooling you'll have more of the tools to do the crawling with.

I think my lucky stars every day for my college degree and I've been out of school for 35 years. (And I don't do anything today that I learned in college. But not a day goes by that I don't draw on what I learned there.)

3. GuitarSlinger

The only thing I want school to hand me is a degree when I'm done :)
    I've actually rather enjoyed it since I went back, and have been working pretty hard on getting good grades (for once). It's funny that you mention that you don't work in an area that you went to school for because thats how a lot of my friends and family are...it just seems that having a degree, any degree, lets employers know that you're willing to take an extra step to better yourself, thus opening the gates to more job opportunities.

4. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

Yup, back to the grindstone and time to start getting some stuff wrapped up, eh?

You know, I work as a children's ESL teacher. Every year I am reminded that my job has nothing to do with my college education. All that seems to matter is having the right pieces of paper. Gee, I'm sure glad that I majored in music! At least I can still enjoy my college education.

Good luck on your studies.

Bob

5. GuitarSlinger

Thanks for the luck, I may need it! I found out I'll only be going for one certificate, but I have a choice of which one to go for...I'm thinking CIW.

Thats awesome that you studied music, I really wanted to do that but didn't have the grades to get into college strait outta highschool (I was one of those never do your homework kind of guys).

They cancelled one of my classes on me last minute so that'll extend the time it'll take to actually earn my degree.

What does ESL stand for?

6. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

Hey,

I was one of the guys in high school that could barely read, subsequently I didn't start college until I was 24. But by that time I enjoyed reading and loved music. I sort of fell into it and am really glad that I did.

ESL = English as a Second Language (I am an English teacher)

sorry to hear that you had some classes canceled. maybe they will let you get your certifications somewhere else and give you credit for them. it wouldn't hurt to ask. They were the ones to cancel, not you. Give it a shot. Maybe you can get finished sooner and get back to the full time work force.

Cheers,

Bob

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.