Join Strat-Talk Today

Bad form!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Nadnitram, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Does anybody have any technical tips for better fretting on the heavy strings?

I've been practicing scale picking on a new-to-me Ibanez AS73, and I've been getting a lot of fret buzz. I think I've diagnosed two things I'm doing wrong. I am fretting too hard, and I'm getting too flat an angle as I fret notes. I'm fretting A and E with my pads, not my fingertips.

The heavy-handedness is something I just have to pay attention to. I also strangle golf clubs, pens and pencils, and anything else requiring any sort of grip.

But any technique tips are appreciated.

2. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

Make sure you aren't plucking the string too hard. on electric you dont need much plucking force.

And if that doesn't do it...
    Check the regular stuff...neck relief and string height.

Nadnitram likes this.
  3. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

Thumb behind the neck, fingers parallel to the frets and curled,
    and play with the fingertips.
    That's how i was taught, and thats how i do it.
    The only thing i do differently is my thumb is not directly behind my middle finger,
    because that feels cramped to me.
    i keep my hand open, so that the thumb is just slightly to the left of my index finger.
    HTH!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    CB91710, Nadnitram and Andrew Wasson like this.
  4. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

go slower, and dont even put your thumb on the back of the neck. not all the time, just until you do it better.

dogletnoir and Nadnitram like this.
  5. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

So true! I’ve completely fallen off the back of the proper left hand technique wagon but I used to have that down.

I had an awesome guitar teacher when I was 15 years old. He was a session guy, played classical and jazz. Taught me so much theory and foundational stuff and he also used to say, don’t move your finger until you need to fret another note with it. Keep it planted. Thumb behind the neck, fingers curled, everything in straight lines.

Then I joined a rock band and everything went to hell :eek:

I’ll have to get back on the left hand technique thing and see if I can improve it. I saw a lot of my technique issues in the first video. I’ve got double jointed thumbs and they’re not conducive to supporting the back of the neck. Because they’re double jointed, there’s no strength and the joint becomes the contact point. It’s painful. Maybe I could put a brace on my thumb to improve it though. It’s definitely something I think about when I practice though (better left hand technique).

dogletnoir and Nadnitram like this.
  6. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

Go up a string gauge. I find on short scale guitars, one gauge heavier feels about the same as a lighter gauge on a 25.5" guitar. I'd put 11s on it and so how that goes. Meatier notes too. Heavier strings, lighter touch. Let the HBs do the Work.

Nadnitram likes this.
  7. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

Use your picking hand forearm to stabilize the guitar in position,
    along with a properly adjusted strap (and Strat, LOL).
    Also play closer to the fret, if you've drifted more towards the middle.
    Then you won't need to squeeze the neck so hard with your fretting hand.
    Ideally, your sound shouldn't really change too much whether you have
    your thumb on the neck or completely off of it.

Nadnitram likes this.
  8. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

It is how hard you are attacking the strings. try using a thin pic. you can try using strings that have more tension, or raise the string height.

Nadnitram likes this.
  9. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Boy, ain't that the truth!. I'm an acoustic hack. I have electrics, but they generally hang on the wall or sit in cases while I play my acoustics. Years of playing a budget acoustic with medium-high action has encouraged my heavy-handedness with both hands.

I noticed my bends were choking out, so I raised the treble side of the bridge. It is going much better now.

GuitLoop and s5tuart like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.