Bad Reverb seller and no support from Reverb

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ian Ashdown, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

I recently ordered a used, but in 'Excellent' condition Electro Harmonix Good Vibes pedal. I paid about the market price for this pedal used.

When it arrived there was no power supply, so I messaged the seller. He responded that I should research the product I'm buying and just open the pedal and use a battery. Having previously done my research, I knew that this pedal is sold with a power supply and no facility to fit a battery. I informed the seller of this and also requested a refund with return shipping. The shipping cost was refused by the buyer and supported by Reverb. From the attitude of the buyer I now doubt I will ever receive a refund if I send the pedal back even at my own cost!

I fail to understand how an item can be classified as 'Excellent' when it is missing a necessary part. I should be able to unpack it, plug it in and use it right away! In my opinion this should have been listed as 'parts missing'.

Words of warning. If a power supply is not shown or specifically mentioned in an advert for a pedal, do not expect one to be included. Do not expect any support from Reverb. Do not expect any customer service from 'Synthetical Instruments'.

Ian
    SoCal

soulman969, circles, 3bolt79 and 5 others like this.
  2. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

None of the pedals I've bought ever came with a power supply. They've all used a standard 9v.

3. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

I have been a frequent and prolific user of reverb in the past. But I sold a guitar on there over the summer that was so awful mostly from reverbs parts that I don't know that I will use them ever again in the future. their customer service was absolute garbage and the amount of money that we were dealing with was a lot. I don't have a lot of good words to say about them right now.

3bolt79 and Baelzebub like this.
  4. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

Good for you. The OP is correct - the EHX good vibes pedal will run only using a power supply (that normally comes with the pedal). There is no battery compartment. However, in support of your contention (from the EHX manual):

9V Power Jack – Plug the output of the supplied AC adaptor into the 9V power jack located at the top of the Good Vibes. The Good Vibes draws up to 45mA at 9VDC with a center negative plug. The Good Vibes accepts Boss® and Ibanez® style AC Adaptors. Please do not exceed 10VDC at the 9V power jack!

Therefore, the OP should either have a power supply that will work (most of us do!) or can easily get one for a very few bucks. It's hardly a fatal problem.

93-Strat, Nick-O and Tone Deaf like this.
  5. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

I bought something on there from a Sam Ash store the other day. In the course of our discussion I mentioned that Reverb was on a downhill slide since Etsy acquired them. To his credit, he was very interested in specifics, because they sell a lot of merchandise there.

I personally don't bother answering their "how were we" emails and have little to no use for what seems to pass for their
    "customer service", and with the new fees and all the tax garbage, I would never use them to sell anything, and only would buy when/if it's a real deal. The idea of charging tax on sales of used goods between private parties is an anathema to me.

TheMadStratter, 3bolt79 and crawdaddy like this.
  6. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

I’ll be purchasing a new genuine EHX power supply in the next day or two. Apart from the dishonesty of both the seller and reverb, I’m disappointed. I have been practicing a particular song that needs the pedal and I was looking forward to it arriving so I could plug it in and play. This plan was foiled!

Oh well, talk about ‘first world’ problems!

Ian

7. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I’ve never sold on reverb , mostly to members on here and some on eBay...thankfully no complaints so far.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

Regardless of whether the seller is a first class Dbag or not. he didn't mention a power supply in his listing.
    he is under no obligation to refund you.

StummerJoe, 93-Strat and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

I’ve bought lots of stuff on Reverb with out any problems.... not that it can’t happen.

Morf2540, 3bolt79 and Stormy Monday like this.
  10. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Strat-Talker

Why did you pay near market price for a used pedal? I suggest paying a new one next time. Then you will have more recourse if there's a problem with an online vendor. I would write this off as a lesson learned.

StummerJoe, CyFan4036 and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I totally see the OPs point. Let's imagine you bought an amp in "excellent condition" and it arrived with no speakers would you suck it up and take it on the chin because the seller didn't state whether it had any or not? I don't think so. Anything detrimental to the operation of an item should be stated in the listing. That's my opinion anyway, YMMV.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

Near used market price . . .

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

Why do you think that something that is essential to the operation of the pedal, and the seller states that it ‘works perfectly’ should not be included whether specifically mentioned or not? I’m just asking; maybe it’s me . . .

14. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

if it doesn't work then you have a case but, as the ad did NOT specify that it came with the "included" power supply, I do not think he is liable for anything. the onus is on the buyer to ask ALL the questions, unfortunately that is the way of the world:thumbd:

StummerJoe, Mustafa Pants and 3bolt79 like this.
  15. Philo426

Philo426 Senior Stratmaster

Well I am sure that you have a power supply and connector cables for your pedal board.While he should refund the cost of the pedal supply it shouldn't be a huge deal unless the power supply is unique or difficult to obtain.

CyFan4036 and 3bolt79 like this.
  16. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Yes, the seller should have stated he didn't have it.

BUT

Due dilligence is 100% the responsibility of the buyer.

StummerJoe, CyFan4036, nadzab and 3 others like this.
  17. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

I had issues two times buying on Reverb. Both times Reverb was involved and help resolve the issue completely to my satisfaction.

The second time the first line Reverb staff could not resolve it so they kicked it up to their Resolution Team, I had my full refund in 24 hrs.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    3bolt79 likes this.
  18. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

@Ian Ashdown Sorry to read you had so much trouble. The dishonesty of people never ceases to amaze and disgust.

So it was Etsy that prompted the recent changes / price hikes. : /

I started to register to sell a set of pickups a year or so ago. Did not like the terms and conditions and bailed.

I did buy one item through Reverb and was pleased with the transaction.

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

I keep hearing how bad REVERB is...

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

As delivered it does not work, nor could it without the power supply. What am I not seeing here?

3bolt79, rgale and StratoMutt like this.