Bad Technique?

Chipss36

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
This idea I think comes from the stuffy solo classical academia set ,also many older teachers think the same way. and they are much more vocal about all things “proper” , what ever that means, bet they are not doing huge bends.

had a long conversation with a local teacher about this subject, we both had the same student. he never could tell me why his thinking was actually more proper…..I used srv and Hendrix as examples. And if they are improper, I personally want to be improper also…..this student was definitely not into learning classical style guitar. And why he came to me to learn…
That said, if teaching solo classical style, its Something to consider, Yet more an issue of neck size…and what’s physically practical.

If it actually sounds bad, it may be improper, hate to think I would stifle a young mind because I must be “proper”….or something.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
The fact that there are some players with bad technique that play well does not validate your bad technique. If you decide you should walk on your hands and sit on your face, that's your business and if you can do it with style and grace, more power to you. Unfortunately, that might lead others to walk on their hands and sit on their faces and it's likely they won't be graceful.

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
There is also the fact that some players, like Healey, like Iommi, like Reinhardt, and may others, have / had to adapt "classical" technique to cope with the cards the fates dealt them.

There is also the notion that if someone comes up with a new, better, way of doing things then that way shouldn't be dismissed just because it's not the way it was done 20/50/100/1000 years ago. If it were, we would be arguing by smoke signals and carrier pigeons instead of on our smartphones on the internet.

And all guitars would be acoustic lutes.

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South
The fact that there are some players with bad technique that play well does not validate your bad technique. If you decide you should walk on your hands and sit on your face, that's your business and if you can do it with style and grace, more power to you. Unfortunately, that might lead others to walk on their hands and sit on their faces and it's likely they won't be graceful.
No .

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I did nothing but classical for 5 years. I learned a lot and some guitars are more suited to classical technique, like flat, thin necks. But, my electrics fit in my hand differently, and certain things like bending require a different approach.

Some stuff requires thumb over to get the desired results. It’s good to start out properly, but once you reach a certain level of proficiency, you can do what works best for you, and view the rules more as suggestions.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
I did nothing but classical for 5 years. I learned a lot and some guitars are more suited to classical technique, like flat, thin necks. But, my electrics fit in my hand differently, and certain things like bending require a different approach.

Some stuff requires thumb over to get the desired results. It’s good to start out properly, but once you reach a certain level of proficiency, you can do what works best for you, and view the rules more as suggestions.
This is a reasonable approach. I took some classical classes in college and I worked with a couple of guys that went on to get doctorates in guitar. Watching them practice was really kind of inspiring to me. I never got as good as they were, but I was better for what rubbed off.

there are some basic elements of technique though, seem like no brainers. Economy of movement seems basic to me, regardless of what you play. Setting up your hands to be mostly in position for everything you need again, seems like a no brainer. I practice technique all the time but it's partly because I really enjoy it. I don't try to reach some kind of standard, I just gradually try to make things more efficient.