Bad Technique?

Stingray70

Strat-Talker
Nov 17, 2021
Michigan
In general I would go along with those that believe that good technique is as good technique plays.. HOWEVER, my poor technique led to some tendon damage...and reduced use of my middle finger on my fretting hand.. So, there are some reasons behind teaching proper technique...

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
What if they were great In spite of their lack of knowledge tather than because of it??
One has to define what an early guitar great is. Guitar existed long before 1960.

Charlie Christian.
George Van Epps.
Allan Reuss.
Freddie Green.
Carl Hogan.
Les Paul.
Hank Garland.

All had great technique.

If you make the music you want to make...that's all that matters. The rest is Internet goober hogwash.

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
One has to define what an early guitar great is. Guitar existed long before 1960.

Charlie Christian.
George Van Epps.
Allan Reuss.
Freddie Green.
Carl Hogan.
Les Paul.
Hank Garland.

All had great technique.

If you make the music you want to make...that's all that matters. The rest is Internet goober hogwash.
And were well schooled in music - even if only a "street" version of theory....but they knew their musical material!

92 Fiesta Red 62

Strat-O-Master
Apr 27, 2022
TEXAS
You know, all those players who use plectrums (or “picks,” as these barbarians call them) are using bad technique…at least, according to classical guitarists.