1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Bareknuckle Irish Tours & Fender Texas Specials

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by mr_hankey, May 4, 2006.

1. mr_hankey

mr_hankey Strat-Talk Member

Has anyone tried Bareknuckle Irish Tours?
    They are supposed to sound like Rory Gallagher and SRV. I will probably order a set of those; or a set of Fender Texas Specials. Any comments on those?

2. Cat

Cat Strat-Talk Member

Bareknuckles arent really anything like the Texas Specials but in my opinion they are the best strat pickups on the market. The Irish Tours are a work of art, absolutely beautiful tone, they are much more expensive than a set of TS's though.

Cat

3. jimmymackisback

jimmymackisback New Member!

If you are talking about expensive, superb toned pickups, I cannot recommend Texas Specials. I have a set in a guitar I am selling, maybe that's part of the reason I am selling it, but, after hearing Fralins, and Dave Stephens (Correct?), and then buying and installing Custom Shop Fat 54's, in a cheap Squier Start, I can not stand the TS's. I know many others have a big dis-regard for them as well. Now I know why.
    The CS Fat 54's cost the same $$ as a set of TS, unless they are trying to dump them! Enjoy.

4. sinnerboy61

sinnerboy61 Strat-Talk Member

Well, though Rory's and Stevie's guitars (I'm assuming they're trying to replicate Stevie's #1) are only a couple years apart, I'm not sure you should completely go by what either one sounds like. The amplifiers (which play a huge role in tone) were on two different ends of the spectrum. Who's sound would you rather accomplish?

If going for Stevie's tone, a vintage stock wound pickup through a Fender Twin Reverb, or Vibrolux would do it.

If you want Gallagher's tone, a vintage stock wound pickup through a Fender Bassman, or Vox AC30 (don't forget the rangemaster) would suffice.

Both are based off of a vintage (IOW - NOT overwound) pickup. 5.7-6K ohms would do it. Contrary to popular belief, you DON'T need an overwound pickup. They overwind the pickups which try to reproduce SRV's tone because with more windings, there's an increase in mid-range, making it easier to replicate his tone if a Twin Reverb can't be had. Rory used standard 10 gauge strings. SRV used 13's I believe. The huge strings contitute a HUGE tone. Also, 90% of it is in the hands ;)

So, with that taken into consideration, who's tone are you more after? What amp are you plugging into? How heavy are your strings, and how heavy is your right (or left) hand?

5. mr_hankey

I guess I'm mainly after SRV's tone; especially his cleans. I will soon have a Blues Deluxe; I do play with heavy strings, usually 12s; and wouldn't consider my picking to be that heavy.

6. mr_hankey

Why do you not like them? I've read that some find them too trebly; but others say that that is easily solved by lowering them a tad.

7. sinnerboy61

Well, after visiting the guitar center this week, I really gotta give it up to the Mayer strat. The pickups that are in that thing will give you SRV tones out the wa-zoo. I played it through an Orange Rocker 30 and IT was giving me his tones. I'd have Owen Duffy wind me a set personally. I'm not affiliated with him, but I've bought his pickups, and he can do anything one wishes.

8. mr_hankey

From what I understand, the Mayer pickups have a 'dip' in the middle frequencies; while the huge mids were a big part of SRV's tone. How does that work out?

9. sinnerboy61

I honestly have no idea. But it got the tone, dead on.

10. s-strats-D-rvb

s-strats-D-rvb Strat-Talk Member

My 2 cents,

I don't know what the TX Specials are all about, except to have a fat (H-bucker like) Strat. it's not a bad sound, but it's not SRV, Hendrix, Rory, Clapton. all the old guitars they played were not with over wound P-ups. for the sounds of those players, from Fender I'd go with either the CS54's or the CS 69's as well as 57/62's. a Black Face Super reverb wouldn't hurt either.

11. Nuno

Nuno Strat-Talk Member

Amps and pickups with not a lot of med frequencies plus high power and big headroom in the mix - on top of that you add a TScreamer or 2 wich punch a mid spike to the sound - all together you have a big tone happening... thats a nice recipe right?

12. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

SRV used a tubescreamer to get those mids. His pickups (late 50s) would have comparably more mids than Mayer’s (late 60s), but they weren’t all midrange.

Neither, for that matter, are the Texas Specials. The low end is what jumps off the page to me with those. They are heavy, boomy, angry sounding pickups. They can purr too, but they prefer to yell.

I can’t comment on the Irish Tours, but I have BKP’s Apache set in my Strat and they are unreal. I can’t imagine you won’t like any set they make if their description sounds anything like what you’re shooting for.

Nuno likes this.
  13. Nuno

Nuno Strat-Talk Member

Well, I have a bkp irish tour set that was on my main axe for a long long time. Somehow I went to overwound and handwound because it was the beginning of the hype arround handwound pickups. Also I was crossing over to single coil and I was used of having some power and compression going on. (although most of the time I split the coils up.. I guess I was slowly gravitating to single coil type of tone).
    The thing is, with the years passing by, I leaned more and more to vintage style single coil tone and push my amp more.
    This days I find one should choose the approach carefully - priority to the amp or priority to the guitar. What I learned goes as folliw - Low output pickups are not compressed, so you can push the amp more to tube compression tru volume (or a nice compromise) and keep guitar note definition. The other way around you just work in a lot different way, plus an overwound pickup is more mid heavy than typical singles, so the choice of amp and drive pedals or boosts are also very important to the equation. You have to choose where you get your mids from - amp, guitar, pedals?
    So the irish tours sound great (believe me) but now I find the bridge pickup specially to compress too much for what I need, and the eq curve makes it a bit too hifi through my deville eq. Makes sense?
    There's a reason those great guys used low output singles, it just makes sense. Even the amp natural eq curve. Fender amps usually are pretty shy on the midds, that's why tube screamers and fender amps match real nice.
    I guess its not a science, its more a question of thinking about it and choosing the gear as one needs, the hype of marketing is just noise, follow yourself.

David Garner likes this.
  14. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

My whole pickup adventure started with looking for an alternate to Texas Specials, and Irish Tours were the first set I bought at someone's suggestion. What I know now is that the neck and middle are effectively the same, but the Irish Tour bridge is hotter, made to spec match a Tele bridge pickup.

Nuno likes this.
  15. Nuno

Nuno Strat-Talk Member

But do you know if the neck and middle on the IT are "regular" 60s style? Or overwound or voiced differently?

16. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Both are barely overwound, inductances of 2.6 to 2.8 henries.

The Texas Special neck and bridge pickups are actually not hot at all. Even if you compare Fender's claimed specs

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts...p-texas-special-strat-pickups/0992111000.html

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/pickups-preamps/pure-vintage-65-strat-pickups/0992237000.html

The Texas Specials neck and middle are 2.4 and 2.6H, the Pure Vintage 65, which people seem to mistake for CS 69's, list 2.6 henries for all three pickups. Both sets are even enamel coated, which doesn't matter to how they perform. Contrast these facts with the strong opinions people have towards Texas Specials.

Nuno likes this.
  17. Nuno

Nuno Strat-Talk Member

I remooved the bridge IT and moved the neck and middle pickup tothe middle and bridge posicions respectively. On the neck I put a fender pure vintage 59 I had laying around. Still under evaluation.

So my 2 strats are as follows:

GUITAR ONE- 62 REISSUE MIJ
    Bridge and middle: the bare knuckle IT neck and middle
    Neck: Fender PV 59

GUITAR TWO- 54 REISSUE CIJ
    Bridge: Seymour Duncan SSL1 (rwrp) (because it was a tinny bit hotter)
    Neck and middle: Fender PV 59