Basic Delay, Reverb and Overdrive Recommendations

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
Need your recommendations for simple reverb, delay, and overdrive pedals'
I don’t use my overdrive or delay pedals very much, playing blues. And I have no reverb pedal.
I’d like to “go basic,” so I’m looking for your recommendations on each. Something with fewer knobs and switches.
I started a pedalboard years ago with TC Electronic Hall of Fame, Flashback and MojoMojo Overdrive. I liked them, but then got caught up in looking for something with more knobs and switches to turn, tweak and twiddle.
Now, my turning, tweaking and twiddling days are over and I’d like to go back to something simpler.
Please offer your thoughts on any or all:
Reverb
Delay
Overdrive
I’m not a fanboy of any brand, so…have at it!
Thanks.
The TC pedals you had are fine and should be quite easy to find used as well. You want simple and those are relatively simple, well made, and popular.

Another brand which I use myself is Hardwire. These were DigiTech's best offerings and although no longer made or available new you should be able to find them used .

The Reverb and Delay are both exceptionally good and while the Overdrive is also a decent pedal there are others I like better. For one I would suggest a Nobels ODR 1. It's a session players joy.

grritz

The guitar plays me
Silver Member
May 2, 2014
Rock Hill, SC
Which HoF do you have/like? Assume it is not the mini?
Also, do you use just the knobs/settings to get your preferred reverb, or do you use any of the tone prints?
I like the standard HoF. The mini is too limited for me.
I use knobs and settings to get the reverb I want. I'm not into Tone Prints, though every few months I may take a look and see what's available.

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
With that range of amps I’d suggest an OD with three band EQ. You got a mid heavy amp (5E3) and mid scoop Pro. This way you can sculpt it with each amp. I played hell finding an OD to work with my tweed Deluxe.

grritz

The guitar plays me
Silver Member
May 2, 2014
Rock Hill, SC
With that range of amps I’d suggest an OD with three band EQ. You got a mid heavy amp (5E3) and mid scoop Pro. This way you can sculpt it with each amp. I played hell finding an OD to work with my tweed Deluxe.
Yeah, I understand...but I won't necessarily be using the OD with all of the amps. And the reverb is part of the package primarily because the 5e3 has no built-in reverb. Out of curiosity, what OD did work with your Tweed Deluxe?

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
Yeah, I understand...but I won't necessarily be using the OD with all of the amps. And the reverb is part of the package primarily because the 5e3 has no built-in reverb. Out of curiosity, what OD did work with your Tweed Deluxe?
All I use with it are a fuzz face and a boost, no overdrive pedal. Same with my two rock.

Forpie

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2019
Montréal
I don't intend to use an OD with the 5e3. Certainly will use the reverb...maybe the delay.
It is all personal opinion in the end, but if we're talking overdrive and simplifying a rig, a Tubescreamer is pretty much the best option for lead playing... it's adding sustain, it's pushing volume and mids so you can get heard. If you were to use it more as an always on pedal, a bluesdriver or SD-1 might be more to your taste because their frequencies are a little bit more flexible...

Every other options are good options as well, it's just that they are more and more nitpicky and less and less simple.

J-Mart

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 17, 2020
Tx
I found a really nice tone this weekend with my Angry Charlie. Really warm, solid crunch. Dynamic I would almost say

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
Need your recommendations for simple reverb, delay, and overdrive pedals'
I don’t use my overdrive or delay pedals very much, playing blues. And I have no reverb pedal.
I’d like to “go basic,” so I’m looking for your recommendations on each. Something with fewer knobs and switches.
I started a pedalboard years ago with TC Electronic Hall of Fame, Flashback and MojoMojo Overdrive. I liked them, but then got caught up in looking for something with more knobs and switches to turn, tweak and twiddle.
Now, my turning, tweaking and twiddling days are over and I’d like to go back to something simpler.
Please offer your thoughts on any or all:
Reverb
Delay
Overdrive
I’m not a fanboy of any brand, so…have at it!
Thanks.
The TS9 Tube Screamer is hard to beat as a go to overdrive pedal. Reverb for me is always the spring reverb unit in my amp and for delay I use one made by Greer.

GratefulDean

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 27, 2020
Colorado
When I started out buying pedals the first two were: the RV5 then the Carbon Copy.

The Carbon Copy is a solid delay, I've moved on to more tape style like Wampler Faux Tape Echo and the Keely Darkside but that Carbon Copy is perfect for a straightforward delay.

While I have multiple OD's, Fuzz, delay etc I have one reverb pedal: The Boss RV5. It has everything one would need without a mind numbing number of options (I'm looking at you Strymon)

For overdrives... I go between my Archer gold and Tumnus depending on which amp I am using. One of those sits in front of my OCD, followed by JHS Bonsai then a fuzz. The OCD has been on every iteration of my pedal board since I got it.

You may want to look into a Blues Driver, I have never played one but, as I understand it, it is a solid pedal for blues.

luthierwnc

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 10, 2015
Asheville, NC
Keeley Caverns V2 is both reverb and a delay, I highly recommend it.

For OD, Fulltone OCD is a modern classic, but also check out the Nobels ODR-1, it is not a mid hump OD like a tubescreamer.

I second the RV-6 for reverb, that is a good sounding pedal and came closest to the reverb in my DRRI
I second the idea of a twin reverb and delay pedal. I've got both the NU>X Atlantic and a Wampler Ethereal. Both work fine. Reasonably priced. My favorite pure reverb pedal is an older Neunaber Wet.

For extra credit; a) get something that can handle both instrument and line level signals in case you want to put it in the loop. It doesn't sound like you play dirty enough to bother but it will be listed well down on the feature list. And; b) For strats a compressor can come in handy. Maybe not country squishy but something to step on switching guitars without having to redo all the other knobs in the dark. FWIW, sh

PS, love the Fairfield Barbershop with strats.

Della Street

Strat-O-Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2022
USA
my recommendations are $0.25 each. if you wish to receive three, please wire me 75 cents. pleasure doing business with you.

Latest posts