Basic Delay, Reverb and Overdrive Recommendations

RPKennedy

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Apr 27, 2013
Oconomowoc, WI
There's a lot of recommendations here for the Carbon Copy delay, and that was the first one that came to mind. Simple, sounds great.

I also recommend the MXR M300 Reverb pedal. Simple, yet has the "standard" reverbs as well as some very cool somewhat experimental ones.

Overdrives are more challenging to recommend as they are quite amp-dependent. See the link below. But for my 5E3 amp, I just use a Bad Bob booster and the volume knob on my Stratocaster.

mmannaxx

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 4, 2014
Ohio
I have an MXR Carbon Copy for delay. With my 5E3 amp I use a Mr. Black Deluxe Plus for reverb and/or tremelo. The Deluxe Deluxe Plus has independent switches for those effects. OD, hmm? Too many options but maybe a Lovepedal Amp 11 which has boost and overdrive sides that will give you options for different amps or different levels of gain. If you need a compressor you could try something like the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Germanium Gold which can give you some extra grit if you need it. For just pure compression the Keeley Compressor Plus is a dependable choice. I know you didn't mention a compressor and I didn't use one for a long time but I now find it almost a must have.

Roger66

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 21, 2021
Port Hueneme
Need your recommendations for simple reverb, delay, and overdrive pedals. I don’t use my overdrive or delay pedals very much, playing blues. And I have no reverb pedal. I’d like to “go basic,” so I’m looking for your recommendations on each. Something with fewer knobs and switches. I started a pedalboard years ago with TC Electronic Hall of Fame, Flashback and MojoMojo Overdrive. I liked them, but then got caught up in looking for something with more knobs and switches to turn, tweak and twiddle.

Now, my turning, tweaking and twiddling days are over and I’d like to go back to something simpler.

Please offer your thoughts on any or all:

Reverb
Delay
Overdrive

I’m not a fanboy of any brand, so…have at it!

Thanks.
Here is my recommendations on simple reverb, delay and overdrive pedals. First is the Fender Reverb unit. Very simple. Next is a Fulltone tube/tape echo. Pretty simple, like an old echoplex, but more modern. Last is a Electro Harmonix TUBE 'English Muff'n' overdrive pedal. Great overdrive.
I use these 3 for my Marshall JTM-45 that doesn't have reverb. It's a 2006 Jimi Hendrix Ltd. Edition, that's point to point wired (no printed circuit board)
They also sound great through my '65 twin reverb. But that doesn't need the reverb unit.
These boxes I mention are all tube driven and sound fantastic for almost any application. They may be pricey, but well worth the cost. I have not had to even THINK about changing pedals in more than a decade! Every guitar I have sounds great through those things.
I swear by these boxes and have never had to swear AT them. Ever! I DO suggest putting good tubes in them. Not Chinese ones. I use old Telefunken 12AX7's in the English Muff'n, and RCA's or GE or Phillips ones in the echo and the reverb boxes.
Then you are all set to go and can stop worrying about your tone and get to practicing and writing.
Good luck! I hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20220917_143224369.jpg
    IMG_20220917_143224369.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220917_143306715.jpg
    IMG_20220917_143306715.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220917_143319921.jpg
    IMG_20220917_143319921.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 1

Mike Corey

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 27, 2020
Michigan
Need your recommendations for simple reverb, delay, and overdrive pedals. I don’t use my overdrive or delay pedals very much, playing blues. And I have no reverb pedal. I’d like to “go basic,” so I’m looking for your recommendations on each. Something with fewer knobs and switches. I started a pedalboard years ago with TC Electronic Hall of Fame, Flashback and MojoMojo Overdrive. I liked them, but then got caught up in looking for something with more knobs and switches to turn, tweak and twiddle.

Now, my turning, tweaking and twiddling days are over and I’d like to go back to something simpler.

Reverb
Delay
Overdrive

Thanks.
Very simple. Boss RV-6 reverb, Boss DD-8 delay, Earthquaker Plumes overdrive. or the Wampler Belle. I have all of them and they are great.

Mike Corey

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 27, 2020
Michigan

Reverb
Delay
Overdrive

Thanks.
I already replied but after seeing your amps, you might want to check the Wampler Gearbox for overdrive. It's Andy Wood's pedal and can do anything from light to burn your hair.

Restless Native

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 25, 2011
Scotland
At the risk of being shot down in flames, I cannot recommend the Boss ME50 highly enough if you want stripped down ease of use. I have one that I bought when it was a new model that I’ve traded in and bought back umpteen times. I also have £2k+ of premium pedals and a Boss ME80. I find myself going back to the ME50/80 for just as good a sound and avoiding option paralysis of the “big” boards I’ve built. Happy just going straight into the amp often too. Big plus is you can pick an ME50 up for pennies.

SIngles Forever

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 14, 2019
Montreal
Verb: MXR Reverb. It has realistic verbs and analog dry through, and thus sounds superior. Don't buy a reverb pedal without that feature. Why play all your blues through a digital conversion if you don't have to?

Delay: Boss Dm-2 (although carbon copy, memory man, Maxon will all do)

Overdrive: OCD V1.7 in 18v mode (not the current version). This sounds thick, chewy, a bit sticky and pushes nicely. Perfect for blues. 9v mode is even chewier, but has less clarity and definition.

Note: if you are looking for a less thick and chewy, 'clear and transparent' overdrive, check out the Vemuram or Timmy. But I vote OCD 1.7.

All the above are crazy simple, and totally classic.

Gridlock

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 18, 2020
Tampa, Fl
My three favorite after many years and dollars spent searching.

Reverb: Catlinbread Topanga
Delay: MXR Carbon Copy
OD: J-Rockett Dude

hrstrat57

Strat-Talker
Jun 11, 2016
RI
BD2
DD3
RV6

Wanna go crazy stack the Boss BD2 with a Ibanez TS9

Start with the BD2 and the DD3 might find no need for the reverb.

Have fun!