1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Bassbreaker 45 or Mojotone 5E3 Kit?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Dudeman7, Sep 19, 2020.

1. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I have not found a use for a 5e3, But I have used a bassbreaker several times and found it quite versatile for my setup.

xland, KillingTone and Dudeman7 like this.
  2. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

AlNiCo speaker is a must. My favorite is the Red Fang. But its only available used. The next one would be the Celestion Gold.

Stratoskater and Dudeman7 like this.
  3. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

A friend had an Uncle Spot (Ron Veil) 5e3 amp, I played through it a few times, sounded glorious, but what do I know i like my modded Blues jr

Dudeman7 likes this.
  4. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

The 45 is the only one I have played through and I was quite impressed with the OD tones. Part of the appeal for me is the EL34 power section.

Overdriven EL84s don't do much for me. The Bassbreakers may well be the exception, though. The typical Vox drive is not something I have ever been drawn to but if the BBs do it better than Vox, it may be an option down the road.

KillingTone likes this.
  5. pierce

pierce Strat-Talker

Mojotone jtm45 kit

Dudeman7 and JoeCon like this.
  6. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Those are two very different amps, so it is almost unfair to compare them. Don't be swayed by the 5e3 bias here in this thread. If you search around, you will find tons of people who have BBS and love them. I had a BB and it was fine. But eventually I sold it, and after some twists and turns ended up with a 5e3, which I think is a keeper.

The advantage of the BB is the features. You have different channels, different voicings and gain stages, all the modern conveniences on the back (effects loop, direct XLR out, etc). The amp sounds good, and there are a lot of tones in there, so you are bound to find one you like. It's very versatile, so if you are looking for all these features, then it's not a bad choice. And yes, it is mass produced.

The 5e3 has none of that stuff. No reverb, no line out. It's old school, and though you can get a range of tones, to my ears it pretty much always sounds like a 5e3 no matter how you set it. So the question is how much you like that particular sound. Plus, in your case you would have to build it, so it's also a question of how much you want to do that.

For $1,000, you have a zillion choices available to you.

7. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Check out Greer Amps. Nick Greer makes some of the best Amps and pedals at affordable prices. He has it dialed in and you can talk to him directly. He really knows his stuff. I own many vintage tube and boutique amps. Currently in my studio setup I am using two of his amps through a UAOX into my recording rig and I get every sound I could ever want through this system. I use the amazing 3 watt Mini Chief and his Lightening 30 watt Amp. The Mini Chief can cover all the bases of the small tube Champ style amps and then some, because you can make it sound huge. And the Lightening 30 watt is similar to my Matchless and is very versatile.

Dudeman7 likes this.
  8. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I had a BB15 when they came out. After a few months I was ready to toss it off my third floor balcony

StummerJoe and Stratoskater like this.
  9. Whitebeard

Whitebeard New Member!

I didn't read all the posts but do want to mention that Weber also offers a 5E3 kit. tedweber.com/5e3-c-kt/

StummerJoe and Dudeman7 like this.
  10. no jimmy p

no jimmy p Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

can't go wrong with a 5E3 , or any of the tube Deluxes ... Tweed , Brown (my fave), Blackface , Silverface , with or without reverb ...

don't really care for the BassBreaker series .

Scott Baxendale and Dudeman7 like this.
  11. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

That will likely be the second kit. Cool amps for sure!

12. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

5E3.

Dudeman7 likes this.
  13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

I can't comment on the Bassbreaker as I've never played through one, but I'm an eternal sucker for a DIY project.

14. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

Please be aware that the Mojotone "JTM45" is not a JTM45. No offense to Mojotone (I'm using their pickups in my Firebird) and I've always heard that their amp kits are first-rate. But words mean something and that is NOT a JTM45.

The specs in what they are calling a JTM45 are nowhere near an actual JTM45. Wrong transformer, too much wattage, and wrong tubes. Using EL34s (actually some variant of an EL34), and making it 45 watts actually puts it--if anything--closer to a JTM50 Black Flag. Not that that's a bad amp. The actual Black Flag was a great amp. But it is not a JTM45. The JTM45 was about 30 watts, and used 5881s in the beginning and then moved to KT66s a little later in the run. They didn't used el34s until the JTM50. They don't sound anything alike.

So, that's just something to be aware of. If you are looking for the sound of a JTM45, and want to do it in kit form, I'd recommend another manufacturer. But if you are looking for something closer in sound to a Marshall 50 watt 1987 or Black Flag, it's probably a great kit.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    lavrgs, Rocket King, EC Strat and 2 others like this.
  15. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

Good info and right you are. Thanks!

dante1963 likes this.
  16. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Build their Bassman and it'd be closer. LOL

17. dbolt

dbolt Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Not familiar with Bass Breaker. My amp search ended when I completed my Mojotone 5e3 with Celestion Gold.

CB91710 and fezz parka like this.
  18. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

And this is the source of some (much?) consternation on the Blues Jr, BB, and many other modern Fender amps.

To be blunt... EL84s (and EL34s) don't belong in a "tweed" or tweed-like or tweed-tribute amp with a Fender nameplate.
    Leo used the 6V6s and various grades 6L6s, later designs going to the 5881.

Take a Blues Jr, put it in a larger cabinet and better speaker, or run it into a 4x10, and it still won't sound like a tweed amp.
    There's more than one reason Marshalls don't sound like Fenders, and one of those reasons is the EL series tubes.

dante1963 likes this.
  19. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

6g9 Tremolux started with 6bq5's. It sounded just like a Fender.;)

[​IMG]

pierce, CB91710 and JB74 like this.
  20. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Right. It ain't the tubes, it's the circut.

Triple Jim and fezz parka like this.