BDRI troubleshooting help please

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Uncle Jimmy, May 27, 2020.

1. Uncle Jimmy

Uncle Jimmy Senior Stratmaster

Well, the trusty old blues deluxe reissue went and got all weird on me. volume went WAY down, at first thought a tube. Pulled the back cover off and fired it up. All tubes have a healthy glow, no redplating.

No sizzled anything on the pcb.

My money is on the output transformer. When I strum a chord, I can hear it, but it's faint and sounds very far away.

Any thoughts, advice etc greatly appreciated!

2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

I always start with a tube that might have gone

3. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Tube time. Start with replacing the output tubes and work backward from there.

4. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

no. start with the preamp tube first. Power tubes last. Low volume = preamp tube went out. But the Blues Deluxe and Deville are notorious for their terrible PCB's so do not rule out a grounding issue.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  5. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

In a dark room look very closely at the inside of the output tubes when you strum with what would have been a loud chord, if you see the inside of the output tubes flash up brite ( not the orange yellow heater color) when you do that then you indeed have a bad output transformer.

The tubes flashing up Brite proves out that they are driving the output transformer as they should and the rest of the amp is well, but but the transformer has a shorted winding.

Inside this hole,( or holes your tubes may have ) that you see in the photo of the plate structure of this 6L6 tube is where you will see the briteness increase as you play.

Note also that many times the root cause of a failed output transformer is a shorted output tube, even the effect of a long ago shorted output / tube fuse blowing session takes its toll on these marginal made output transformers and the heat brakes down the very thin Enamel insulation on the otherwise bare wires that the transformer is wound with.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Thrup'ny Bit and Robins like this.
  6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

`
    I agree with the others.

If it is the OT, that's one thing. But, if not, you can't always tell by looking at the tubes. Besides, you should always have a new set on hand anyway, because tubes will go bad eventually...

`

7. Uncle Jimmy

Uncle Jimmy Senior Stratmaster

Thanks all, waiting for a full set of tubes. Going to put a 12ay7 in v1 as ell.