Beatles Remasters

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ActionFletch, Aug 27, 2009.

1. ActionFletch

ActionFletch Strat-O-Master

I just ordered my boxset from Amazon. (Works out $100AU cheaper than buying here in our shops!)

Are you looking forward to yours? Or have you pre-ordered the now sold-out Mono box set?

The mono mixes of albums like Sgt Pepper are SO much better than the existing dodgy stereo versions. But i`m hoping that the new stereo will improve on this.....:neutral:

2. ActionFletch

Guess not then! lol!

Interestingly both Mono and Stereo sets are now sold out at Amazon! And its still only pre-order!!!!

3. dhb2000usa

dhb2000usa Senior Stratmaster

How much is amazon asking for the stereo set?

4. Gordon Short

Gordon Short Strat-Talker

Hmmm I've got the original vinyls but they don't fit in the the little tray thingy!!!!!

5. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

hahahahahahha.....got the original stereo CD boxset. Not the same but I'll save my money. Oh yes and the original mono vinyls.

6. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Senior Stratmaster

After you watch it you'll have a whole new appreciation for George Harrison. The guy had monster chops but was so smooth he would lull you into thinking he was hardly playing. One of the best of all time. Some of the voicings he came up with were completely amazing.

7. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

One of our local newspapers' music critics came out with his review this morning and was positively religious about the new remasters. He literally used the words "hem of their garments". Seriously though, I knew him in college. He's a great guy, and he knows music. That's just how much these recordings mean to some people.

I don't have 200 USD to spend on a box set just now, or I'd definitely have it on order. I read tht Amazon.com has already sold out their pre-orders, but will put you on a waiting list.

JAMES

8. j2b4osan

j2b4osan Strat-Talker

Ill just Dl it for free!!!
    200 bucks for some cd's that have been out for 20+yrs thats a total rip.
    and all the good members are dead anyways so who is to profit? multimillionaire mcartney or just some record label scum.

9. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat

Wrong. It's not going to be Paul and if I remember correctly, Micheal Jackson bought the rights to the Beatles songs some years back.

I don't know who's going to profit. Moreover, I don't care. I own what I want of the Beatles. I would never knock any of the guys in that band, they all had more musical success then any of us will ever have.

10. TreRocker

TreRocker Strat-O-Master

I thought Mr./Sir McCartney was in the process of getting those back. Him and Ringo should sue. I don't own nearly enough of the Beatles. I have my dad's old 45's but am afraid to play them, because they are priceless now. Paul McCartney has more talent in his fingernails than probably this entire chat board combined.

I'll probably get this when the frenzy wears off, and supply catches up for demand. As some one said, they've been out for $20. But in a few months, the price could drop by like half, and $100 for the complete Beatles boxset would totally be worth it.

11. ActionFletch

Wow imagine that!!!
    I wonder if his toe nails are talented too?

Back to that last statement though - i say the entire membership of Strat-Talk should challenge McCartneys fingernails to a duel. Just his nails mind you, no arms or hands.... Who`s up for it?????

Just kidding - Paul is great, just ask him.;)

12. j2b4osan

j2b4osan Strat-Talker

Just for the record MJ had to sell most if not all the beatles catalog when he was getting sued every 5min for molestation.

As far as paul's talent I only can say that fame is a poor judge of talent. Wings was just horrible, his solo work is sub par at best. And who are you to judge the whole forums talent level? For all you know I could be the next great song writer of our time.
    And Dylan was and always will be a far better song writer that all the beatles combined.
    Imo The only members of the beatles that actually had some real musical creative insight were john and George who both could care less about beatles CD sales.
    But I guess the nauseating beatlemania that even the band hated and contributed greatley to their demise is alive and kicking.

13. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

[But I guess the nauseating beatlemania that even the band hated and contributed greatley to their demise is alive and kicking.[/quote]

Your youth is showing! If you'd been there in 1964 you'd probably feel different. I was sixteen & whenever I see clips of the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show I still feel the ghost of that old visceral excitement I felt then.

There were lots of great bands then, but NONE that had the effect on people the Beatles had. Paul was a big part of that, multi-millionaire now or not.

It was like our generation suddenly woke up! That was when "the Sixties" really began. Before that society was just a continuation of the Fifties. After the Beatles, everything changed. Everything was possible. We woke up, we knew we could make a difference, and we did.

I hope when your'e sixty there will be a band from your teen years that will still mean that much to you my friend.

14. Poseidon9447

Poseidon9447 Strat-O-Master

I picked up Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper yesterday a t Target for $11.98 each and buy two get a five dollar gift card. That's a great deal I think. They sound great.

15. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

I have the mono-box on order and looking forward to revisiting all those classic tunes!

16. Poseidon9447

Poseidon9447 Strat-O-Master

I was surprised at how good they are selling. Target had a four sided rack that only had a few of each left on it. The display of Beatles Rock Band looked untouched. They must of just brought more of them out from the back.

17. dhb2000usa

dhb2000usa Senior Stratmaster

I have to agree with orcslayer. I was actually at the Beatles performance in Dallas on September 18, 1964. I was already a huge fan so it was awesome. It's true, they lacked the technical sophistication of later bands and musicians, but there was a certain purity to their sound you don't hear today. They sounded just like their records without an army of signers and musicians (something else you don't find these days) and Paul's voice and energy was incredible. The other 3 were no slugs either.

18. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

The amount of work the Beatles did in Germany before they cracked it is amazing, hour after hour day after day in Hamburg. Anyone thinks they didnt do their time is way out of line. A very hard working outfit

I was a huge fan, i think "Please Please Me" was the 1st tune that got me playing harp in 64, i developed my drum style around them and my early vocal style then the guitar. They were also very competent blues players but obviously this wasnt going to be their selling point.

19. ActionFletch

All our Aussie shops are sold out and i`m still waitng for my Amazon order to arrive (boo hoo!!)

20. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat

Sub Par? Paul. Your joking, right. And your telling us all that Dylan is better then the entire Beatles band ever was. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing that with us. Good Luck in your quest to be the next great song writer.