Beauty of the Burst

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
I remember purposely going out to get a sunburst Strat because I’d never had one and I thought it was the quintessential Stratocaster look. I ended up coming home with a black one. That happened twice and then finally I found one I liked. Then I found another so I had two sunburst Strats. Then I realized my acoustic was a burst, my bass was a burst and my two semi hollow body guitars were bursts. I have no idea how I became so drawn to them but obviously I am.

View attachment 511997 View attachment 511998 View attachment 511999 View attachment 512000 View attachment 512001
You’ve got some beauties! I agree it is the classic strat look. So 50’s

joe_cpwe

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 21, 2015
WI, USA
I hope you're putting that silvertone back together.
Yeah, the Silvertone still needs help....another project that keeps getting delayed. The neck needs to be reset...and not by me! I had some money set aside and intention to schedule that just this week, but I bought a used Martin acoustic instead :). Before buying another guitar I will get the neck done.
The tuner buttons have also crumbled away so I need new buttons, or a set of new tuners and it will also need a bridge. Finding something original may be impossible. I will likely go with the shop's recommendation of using a tuneomatic bridge. Other than that, it's in great shape :)

Both times I talked to shops for opinions/options they offered for me to bring it in and sell it to them. That's not going to happen.

Mikeylefty

Be Kind
May 9, 2020
SE USA
Yeah, the Silvertone still needs help....another project that keeps getting delayed. The neck needs to be reset...and not by me! I had some money set aside and intention to schedule that just this week, but I bought a used Martin acoustic instead :). Before buying another guitar I will get the neck done.
The tuner buttons have also crumbled away so I need new buttons, or a set of new tuners and it will also need a bridge. Finding something original may be impossible. I will likely go with the shop's recommendation of using a tuneomatic bridge. Other than that, it's in great shape :)

Both times I talked to shops for opinions/options they offered for me to bring it in and sell it to them. That's not going to happen.
View attachment 512174 Here’s mine - a partscaster

Well it's all about that cool body so I wouldn't worry about finding original parts (probably not great); just drop in a tunamatic bridge and new tuners to make it play great. I guess neck reset is a pretty big deal though. Those original pickups probably have some major mojo going on.

Mikeylefty

Be Kind
May 9, 2020
SE USA
FG735S - I think it was the predecessor to the 830. GC special run, if memory serves.

I happened to pluck an FG830 at a music store last week and was impressed with its liveliness. Bound dreadnaught, solid Spruce top, rosewood sides and back, scalloped bracing. If anyone is interested, Sam Ash Stores is blowing some out on ebay right now for $253. I ordered one. A good kick around player when you don't want to take out your Martin.

nadzab

Play Don't Worry
Silver Member
May 15, 2009
New England
I happened to pluck an FG830 at a music store last week and was impressed with its liveliness. Bound dreadnaught, solid Spruce top, rosewood sides and back, scalloped bracing. If anyone is interested, Sam Ash Stores is blowing some out on ebay right now for $253. I ordered one. A good kick around player when you don't want to take out your Martin.

Agreed. This one sounds great, loud with lots of natural compression. It really likes DR Sunbeams, they seem to make it come alive like no other strings.

The Yamahas at this price point provide so much guitar for the money I bought an FG820-12 as well. Plays beautifully, but I haven’t found the ideal strings for that one yet - I hate re-stringing a 12.