Been a long time comin'...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Strategist, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Strategist

Strategist Strat-Talker

I've been wanting a Brazilian acoustic my whole life, and finally came onto this little 00-18. Happened to find the luthier in NC while drewlling over Wayne Hendersons beautiful masterpieces. He makes awesome acoustics with a ten year waiting list!! and is famous for 'Eric Claptons Guitar', the book.
    Mine was made by a understudy of his and I was in the right place at the right time to get this for a third of what Brazilians usually go for. Thought I'd share a work of art with you guys.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      53.8 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      57 KB
      Views:
  2. stradovarious

stradovarious Senior Stratmaster

Gorgeous!
    Happy NGD, and congrats!
    When saw your thread title I thought maybe you were looking for a classical.

Anybody looking for Brazillian rosewood classical guitar can easily find one, best classical guitars ever made, The Ramirez 1a from the entire 1970's, and every Ramirez made from the 60's.

They are laughably under-priced because they are out of fashion in the VERY tight-knit, copycat classical guitar world. In other words, students always buy a guitar built by the same builder as their teacher. Or the latest performer phenomenon.

So if Ramirez are "the best ever made" (and they are) why don't all the great players play them?

Well, the best Japanese player does, Kazhito Yama****a, and the greatest American player does, Christopher Parkening. He won't touch anything else. Neither of them will.

But the younger ones who "know better" and are carving out their own niche or tring to, go for something radicallyh different and then their worshippers copy them mindlessly. Like the pointy headstock Floyd Rose era in the eighties. Far inferior to vintage Strats etc, but everybody had to cioy the latest shredders.

That's why I have such immense for Yngwie. He never wavered or bent over and gave int "trends"

Anyway you can get a 70's Ramirez for a joke- like $3,000 sometimes, and they don't charge differently between 1a and 2a (usually). 60's Ramirez's, around $5,000.

They are worth ten times that amount. All those builders are now dead (the great ones), thus like Stradivari, Amati and Guarneri (del Jesu) in the violin world, all the best guitars have already been made, and now it's over. (Classical, I mean).

The reason they came up wiith "1a" and "2a" in the 70's is because the 1a's are Brazilian rosewood and the 2a's are Indian rosewood.

To be honest, sometimes i prefer the Indian from the 70's- depends on the guitar. Nothing can touch my Brazilian 60's Ramirez though.

3. stradovarious

stradovarious Senior Stratmaster

They won't let me spell the world's greatest japanes classical player's name because the **** come in where his name is spelled Y-am-a-s-h-i-t-a

4. Strategist

Strategist Strat-Talker

These little 00-18s have a common attribute to the classical guitars in that the bridge is set back more on the top tonewood because of the 12fret to body neck. That makes them vibrate more and the Engleman spruce top on this one is testiment to that. They most often come with a wider nut for fingerstyle but they are also a resounding flat pick guitar. I've had some mahogany 00s that have a nice sound but rosewood just gives thes small bodys so much more all across the spectrum. I've already changed my last will & testiment to be inturred with this one!

5. Laylas Daddy

Laylas Daddy Banned

Man, beautiful guitar!!!