Been saying it for years

mikej89

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2016
River Falls, WI
I wish computer's/replay existed for the Drew Pearson pushoff that was clearly offensive pass interference and led The Cowboys to beat my Vikings in 1975. But as with most things in life history doesn't care about the details and winners aren't judged by "how".

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
USA
I wish computer's/replay existed for the Drew Pearson pushoff that was clearly offensive pass interference and led The Cowboys to beat my Vikings in 1975. But as with most things in life history doesn't care about the details and winners aren't judged by "how".
We need better historians.

I volunteer.

Voxman

Strat-Talker
Dec 11, 2020
USA
I agree. From game 1 of the series where the same pitch is consistently called a ball for one team, and a strike for the other, to inconsistent calls in other games (I'm talking to you Angel Hernandez) to bad calls in the final game.
Giants frankly have been lucky and their luck ran out.

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers.
It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time...
This field, this game; it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.

When I watch my favorite team play...it makes me feel young again. Reminds me of watching Willie Davis round second and lose his helmet on the way to a triple. Or Maury Wills stealing home. Watching Walter Alston kick dirt on home plate because of a bad call and getting ejected from the game.

The umpires are essential to the game. Replace them with a computer and it'll kill it.

Last edited:

jrbirdman

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Member
Feb 3, 2016
Puget Sound
Umpires are a big part of the game. Each umpire calls the game differently and strike zones do vary from one to another.
But for the most part they stay consistent with their calls.

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
USA
I agree. From game 1 of the series where the same pitch is consistently called a ball for one team, and a strike for the other, to inconsistent calls in other games (I'm talking to you Angel Hernandez) to bad calls in the final game.
Giants frankly have been lucky and their luck ran out.
They might well have lost either way.

But luck doesn't account for 107 wins. It's a talented and well-managed team. Just like all those 90s Braves teams that got hosed. Looking at you, Kent Hrbek and Eric Gregg.

Human error is not something to embrace, not when it's so easy to do without on this case.

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
USA
The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers.
It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time...
This field, this game; it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.

When I watch my favorite team play...it makes me feel young again. Reminds me of watching Willie Davis round second and lose his helmet on the way to a triple. Or Maury Wills stealing home. Watching Walter Alston kick dirt on home plate because of a bad call and getting ejected from the game.

The umpires are essential to the game. Replace them with a computer and it'll kill it.
They're in the way.

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
USA
They're in your way. They're not in mine.
There has to be a way to overturn bad calls in every case.

And if we can review all of it, then we don't need the umps in the first place.

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, the sanctity of The Game is on the line when umpires who are $h!tty at their jobs exercise undue influence on the course or outcome of a game.

This is my youthful call for justice at play. Deep down, I know there's no justice in this world. But it has to be the play, the players, not umpires, determining the outcome. This is worth fixing.

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
USA
No it isn't.

It's been like that for a century. It's part of the game. The instant replay stuff is BS. Call it, accept the call and play the game.

Televised sports in the modern era has screwed up the game.
To me that sounds like saying "we know too much now".

I want it all seen, heard and known.

If computers make the call, we don't need all the replay.

Also, Dez caught it. And Sefarian Jenkins scored.

Neil.C

Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
I agree re the use of umpires, they are vital to the game.

Obviously we don't play baseball here but with cricket we still have umpires although with modern technology test teams are allowed two reviews if they think there has been grave injustice.
Once they are gone they are gone.

In the vast majority of cases the umpires are proved correct in the reviews.