Been saying it for years

muttonbuster

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 14, 2020
República de Cantaloupia
Bad calls left to stand completely ruin any game.

You cannot be serious!

R.25c8d14e90524e40d7634f3ce29b7a9f

Bob Spumoni

Senior Stratmaster
May 5, 2019
New England
"Making things better" rarely works. However, in the interest of diversity, that b---h goddess of the TicToc set, shouldn't there be a place in baseball for aging fat guys with glaucoma? I mean - like totally - let's be equitable in all things.

Gag me with a spoon et cetera. How's that for cranky, cranky?

Tone Deaf

Stratosaurus Magnificus
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2009
New Jersey, USA
I think for calling balls & strikes that the computerized system would be the way MLB needs to go.
I watch almost every Yankee game on TV and I am appalled by the inconsistencies exhibited by home plate umps in calling balls & strikes ( for and against BOTH teams ).
To me, their “lack of vision” can frequently be “a game changer”.
Ball 4 versus Strike 3, etc, etc.

We still need umpires though - I firmly believe that.
We already employ the replay for close calls in many professional sports.
Amen to that!
But - we need umps. Can you imagine if they used a replay for EVERY play?
The game would take “days” :) to finish.

edit
Besides, I STILL NEED to BOO somebody. ( I’m an original Philly Boo-Bird ).

Last edited:

Strums

Strat-O-Master
Feb 27, 2014
Section 43
If it's ok to review and overturn a close play at first base, why not review a season-ending check swing call?
MLB needs to reconcile its inconsistant use of technology.

Just my $.02

And quit showing nostril hair close-ups of pitchers and batters when there are runners on base. Show us the game on the field!

Last edited:

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
Who is this we you speak of? :)

The human element of the game has to include the calls. It's what makes it real.

No computers. Not now. Not ever. Never.

You're just pissed because the Giants lost. :D
I like the Giants.

But I love baseball.

I didn't grow up with a team. My parents didn't follow any game or team. Baseball just came to me. And it was part of my escape as a kid. It's a beautiful balance between team and individual, strategy and instantaneous, tension and release. (Not unlike soccer . . . at least soccer outside of the US). And the banter that comes with it . . . none of the tough-guy acts that come with matriculating the football down the field in the national football league.

But unlike soccer, a baseball umpire makes a call on every single play/pitch. We don't need that guy and the inconsistent, game altering calls.

Let the game be determined by players and players only. They are the human element that should be determining who wins and loses. And in baseball, this is a totally feasible thing. It's no less human with umps either out of the picture or playing a diminished role.

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
"Making things better" rarely works. However, in the interest of diversity, that b---h goddess of the TicToc set, shouldn't there be a place in baseball for aging fat guys with glaucoma? I mean - like totally - let's be equitable in all things.

Gag me with a spoon et cetera. How's that for cranky, cranky?
Their place is in the stands or at home. Wherever it's most convenient for them to consume their legal weed.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
The pandemic made me realize I don't care about professional sports any more. It's one big lie and gambling scam. Teams fix rosters, refs blow calls and then the league can't even interpret their own rule book with rational logic. I mean they didn't know what a catch in football was after 100 years, didn't know the concept of breaking the plane of the end zone with possession was a TD. They even had 2 foot rule = 1 knee = a catch,so when a player lands on his rear end with possession and breaks the plane of the end zone, that somehow that wasn't a TD for some teams, but for others it was.

So now they don't know what a strike is, or whether a bat goes far enough to be a strike/swing or not on a check swing to be a ball instead ?

End of the day, NCAA players are gong to be compensated. HS recruits are going to become just like the top 1st round draft picks at that level. Colleges & Universities, education will cost even more because someone has to pay the players. I refuse to pay more, so they'll have to make that money in Vegas and the game fixing is just naturally going to be one big fraud & abuse of a Ponzi Scheme. So that leaves me where I was during the pandemic fraud sport seasons, just not believing the Miami Heat were a Finals worthy opponent vs the the Lakers. I just don't need to watch sports ever again really.

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
The wild card thing is BS.

The three divisions as of 1995 are BS. Increase teams to 32. That way you have 16 AL and 16 NL. 8 teams per division.

West and east. Divided by the Mississippi. Eastern division champ plays western division champ.

Return the World Series to October where it belongs. Imagine Reggie Jackson being called Mr. November.

No extended money making. Because that's what it's really about.

The Giants should have played the eastern division champs. Like it should be. The Dodgers should have been planning for next year. :)

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
robots

they can replace physical umpires, and we get the benefit of their heightened senses.

I used to watch 100 Yankee games or more each year. Now I watch 1 or 2.

robot umpires would bring me back to baseball

They can eventually replace physical players too. Imagine Nolan Iron throwing 150 mph while Rusty Baker jacks a 750 ft homerun. I'd buy a ticket for that! :D