Been saying it for years

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
The wild card thing is BS.

The three divisions as of 1995 are BS. Increase teams to 32. That way you have 16 AL and 16 NL. 8 teams per division.

West and east. Divided by the Mississippi. Eastern division champ plays western division champ.

Return the World Series to October where it belongs. Imagine Reggie Jackson being called Mr. November.

No extended money making. Because that's what it's really about.

The Giants should have played the eastern division champs. Like it should be. The Dodgers should have been planning for next year. :)
I'm actually okay with the Wild Card game.

They reconfigured the divisions after 1993 when the SF Giants won 103 games but didn't make the playoffs because they lost a tie-breaker to the 104-win ATL Braves (who somehow were in the Western division). SF had the second best record in all of baseball that year, yet they didn't go to the playoffs because of a rigid, outdated format.

The current layout of divisions and playoff teams is fine. In the current format, they shouldn't set up the brackets until after the play-in game was done, at which point they distribute matchups according to overall record. This year, the Dodgers should have played Milwaukee and the Giants should have played Atlanta.

The thing with divisions and wild cards is that everybody still has the same opportunity.

The thing with $h!tty umpires is that not everyone has the same opportunity.

jrbirdman

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Member
Feb 3, 2016
Puget Sound
my robotic team can beat your robotic team, we got the new Babe Ruth Model xxx3 with hyper swing

Rickety

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 6, 2021
Devils Lake, ND
Idk man, too much stuff has been taken over by technology as it is. I watch a lot of football and they will legit sit there and get their 4k footage out, zoom into a blade of frikkin' grass and say "Mmmm... Yeah he's definitely out of bounds, it's pretty clear there!!" it's ruining sports for everyone, not just the spectators but the teams as well.

In my opinion, get rid of all of it, go back to standard definition TV and let people play the game and let the officials call the games. That was one of the most important roles of the ump, what the umpire says goes, you just gotta live with it, do they make BS calls sometimes? Yeah, but it's part of the game and it makes it more dramatic and entertaining. I swear, I can't stand when a game gets delayed over and over again because they have to review every little thing just because someone got a little ticked off at a call. People only start bringing stuff like this up when a BS call causes their team to lose anyway.

Bob Spumoni

Senior Stratmaster
May 5, 2019
New England
Their place is in the stands or at home. Wherever it's most convenient for them to consume their legal weed.

I think efforts at modernizing baseball are doomed in any case. It was a sport suited to a much better America than we endure today." Improving" it is analogous to the work of those who apply makeup to people in coffins.

muttonbuster

Strat-O-Master
Nov 14, 2020
República de Cantaloupia
OK, let's go for fairness. We'll get rid of live umpires....and the Giants have to shed $114 million off their payroll so Cleveland has a fair chance of winning the WS. Sounds good to me. Let's face it. Without a hard cap, MLB is incredibly unfair in which to begin.

lammie200

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 25, 2016
San Francisco
I just want to add that MLB has already embraced replays. They have just done so inconsistently. That has made matters worse, not better IMHO. But they shouldn't turn back on technology. They need to go all the way in every aspect now that they opened Pandora's box.

My rant from TDPRI:

First off, I accept the fact that that series is over. One team won and the other lost. I get that. All I am saying is that we see checked swings called all year. That one was way under an unclear result. Sure you can say that the Giants hitting sucked. But they were only down one run with a runner on base. Teams have won (or at least tied) under those circumstances countless times. Wouldn't you have wanted the game to be called fair including the final out?

TBH, I think the powers at MLB have consistently made bad decisions about the game itself. We had (and still have) PED issues, we had blatant cheating, we have arbitrary rules for when reviews are allowed, we have the decision to have 7 inning games, we have an unfair playoff seeding structure, and so on and so forth. As much as I like baseball I feel that the game is not played on a level playing field all the time. That is unfortunate.

Morales on whether he had a different feeling after the replay (Barrett interjected): “Yeah, he doesn’t want to say.”

Morales on how tough it is to make a call like that to end a series like this: “In the playoffs, every pitch is big, every situation is big. That situation was big, obviously. But it was a high-pressure game the whole game, the whole series, really.” Sounds like an excuse for making a bad call to me.

Barrett on fans being upset a series like this could end on such a call: “I get that question from fans a lot. Whether it’s spring training and we’re in Scottsdale on March 1 or we’re in the seventh game of the World Series, we’re always trying to get the calls right. Try to call it the same way, and we try not to think about whether it’s a playoff game or whether a regular-season game or a spring training game. They’re all important, so we’re just trying to get our calls right.” Trying doesn't always work. Find a better way, IMHO.

And here’s what Flores said about the call: “I didn’t think I went. Every at-bat counts in a close game, but some things you can’t control. … I just didn’t think I went. I was surprised he called it.”

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
OK, let's go for fairness. We'll get rid of live umpires....and the Giants have to shed $114 million off their payroll so Cleveland has a fair chance of winning the WS. Sounds good to me. Let's face it. Without a hard cap, MLB is incredibly unfair in which to begin.
Milwaukee, Oakland, Tampa, Houston . . . and actually Cleveland until this year. All competitive, small market teams.

Giants payroll ranks 10 this year. Pretty good, I'd say. SF doesn't have nearly the market that the LA and NY brands have.

Salon, payroll varies a lot by year. Cleveland is at the bottom this year, but not every year. SF in 2018 had the second highest payroll and a terrible season (a lot of big contracts locked in from the three WS seasons). Whereas Cleveland had a middling 16th rank payroll and won 91 games.

My favorite part of the "big market /small market" factor is how the NYY always buy overpriced talent that either proves overrated or can't handle the pressure of playing in NY. Sabbathia, Stanton, Cole, etc.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/mlb-highest-payrolls-2021/

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/topics/payrolls/byYear.asp?Y=2018

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
Idk man, too much stuff has been taken over by technology as it is. I watch a lot of football and they will legit sit there and get their 4k footage out, zoom into a blade of frikkin' grass and say "Mmmm... Yeah he's definitely out of bounds, it's pretty clear there!!" it's ruining sports for everyone, not just the spectators but the teams as well.

In my opinion, get rid of all of it, go back to standard definition TV and let people play the game and let the officials call the games. That was one of the most important roles of the ump, what the umpire says goes, you just gotta live with it, do they make BS calls sometimes? Yeah, but it's part of the game and it makes it more dramatic and entertaining. I swear, I can't stand when a game gets delayed over and over again because they have to review every little thing just because someone got a little ticked off at a call. People only start bringing stuff like this up when a BS call causes their team to lose anyway.
Get rid of umps and cops. Replace it all with high def everything.

Knowing is better than not knowing.

jrbirdman

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Member
Feb 3, 2016
Puget Sound
you will need to implement this application right after T-Ball
Babe Ruth League
High School
Collegiate

where would it end??

Rickety

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 6, 2021
Devils Lake, ND
Get rid of umps and cops. Replace it all with high def everything.

Knowing is better than not knowing.
Why are we getting rid of police, precisely? Does that have something to do with calling the umps 'blue' and 'the boys in blue'? I'm not sure how those two things relate to each other. Either way... I don't think anyone disagrees that sports were more entertaining before the year 2000, and back then we had standard def CRT TVs and replays were just so that you could see the highlights. Now, everything is in 4k and the replays aren't for your enjoyment, they're so that butthurt coaches can nitpick and point out that one tiny flaw with a players form that will overturn an otherwise perfectly fine play.

My stance? Let the players play, let the official officiate, and let the coaches coach. Enough of all this stupid tech added to sports, the only tech that should be a part of sports is medical technology to keep them from getting serious injuries, other than that, just play the stupid game.

muttonbuster

Strat-O-Master
Nov 14, 2020
República de Cantaloupia
Milwaukee, Oakland, Tampa, Houston . . . and actually Cleveland until this year. All competitive, small market teams.

Giants payroll ranks 10 this year. Pretty good, I'd say. SF doesn't have nearly the market that the LA and NY brands have.

Salon, payroll varies a lot by year. Cleveland is at the bottom this year, but not every year. SF in 2018 had the second highest payroll and a terrible season (a lot of big contracts locked in from the three WS seasons). Whereas Cleveland had a middling 16th rank payroll and won 91 games.

My favorite part of the "big market /small market" factor is how the NYY always buy overpriced talent that either proves overrated or can't handle the pressure of playing in NY. Sabbathia, Stanton, Cole, etc.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/mlb-highest-payrolls-2021/

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/topics/payrolls/byYear.asp?Y=2018

Sorry, but this fact still remains. This was through 2019, "With the Nationals' World Series win last night, 24 of the last 25 World Series champions had an Opening Day payroll in the top half of MLB". The average team payroll ranking for those winners was 7.2.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/sto...ening-day-payroll-ranks-in-the-wild-card-era/

You can give me all the one off exceptions of The Yankees of late, or certain overpriced players, or the Giants one year all you want. That absolutely does not change the fact that if you spend more money, statistically you have much better chance of winning the WS.

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
Why are we getting rid of police, precisely? Does that have something to do with calling the umps 'blue' and 'the boys in blue'? I'm not sure how those two things relate to each other. Either way... I don't think anyone disagrees that sports were more entertaining before the year 2000, and back then we had standard def CRT TVs and replays were just so that you could see the highlights. Now, everything is in 4k and the replays aren't for your enjoyment, they're so that butthurt coaches can nitpick and point out that one tiny flaw with a players form that will overturn an otherwise perfectly fine play.

My stance? Let the players play, let the official officiate, and let the coaches coach. Enough of all this stupid tech added to sports, the only tech that should be a part of sports is medical technology to keep them from getting serious injuries, other than that, just play the stupid game.
I have bad experiences with cops . . . they have too much influence and authority. They affect and disguise truth as much as they tell it.

As for replays . . . anyone bringing up replay in response to what I'm saying about baseball umps isn't really considering what I'm saying.

And yeah, giving coaches those flags to throw (in a sport that I'm not even talking about) was a dumb idea too.

All beside my point.

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
Sorry, but this fact still remains. This was through 2019, "With the Nationals' World Series win last night, 24 of the last 25 World Series champions had an Opening Day payroll in the top half of MLB". The average team payroll ranking for those winners was 7.2.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/sto...ening-day-payroll-ranks-in-the-wild-card-era/

You can give me all the one off exceptions of The Yankees, or certain overpriced players, or the Giants one year all you want. That absolutely does not change the fact that if you spend more money, statistically you have much better chance of winning the WS.
Well yeah, that part is obvious.

So tell your Cleveland Baseball Team owners to spend more money!