Been saying it for years

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by cranky, Oct 15, 2021.

1. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Actually, not bait. Thinking more like London. Body cams, dash cams, street cams everywhere. The actual human is a just-in-case.

It's the only part of Fukuyama that pans out. Our world is now -- if we have the courage to let it be -- an endless set of technical and environmental problems.

2. Rickety

Rickety Strat-Talk Member

I'm going to let you in on a little secret... a little something that I learned from being in a relationship with a cop for the past six years and owning a home with her as well... obey the law and cops won't bother you... seriously... they just want to do their jobs and go home at the end of the day, just like everyone else. If you've had bad experiences with cops in the past, sorry, but I've had bad experiences with Best Buy employees, that doesn't mean I want them all to go away. Most cops just want you to cooperate so that they can send you on your way and they can move on to the next thing, and trust me... cooperating makes things happen a lot quicker and lot more smoothly. But then there are people who want to cause a scene and try to 'make a point' and they make the cops job more difficult, it's not 'brave' it's not 'freelance journalism' and it's not 'putting them in their place' it's just annoying and all it's going to do is get you hit with an obstruction charge... which, yes... is 100% legal... so save your anti-cop speech for reddit.

On to the rest of this dumpster fire... what would be the end result of what you want, anyway? What are you trying to really accomplish?

muttonbuster likes this.
  3. cranky

I want balls, strikes, and outs to be established objectively by computers.

Obviously a swing-and-miss, a simple catch, throwing someone out at first by a mile will be non-factors. Like most of daily life, the Blue isn't necessary. But when the situation calls for it, it's all on camera at multiple angles. No guess work. No human error in the call (the error is the guy getting himself thrown out or chasing a bad pitch or looking at a good one, not the umpire blowing the call). Truth prevails. The game is fair.

4. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Sure it is. This thread will now go from being about baseball to somewhere we aren't allowed to go.
    Encourage talk about getting rid of the police is political, pure and simple. ;)

Thrup'ny Bit and Rickety like this.
  5. Rickety

And remove the human element? You want 100% accuracy? So tell me... who's going to service these machines?

6. cranky

I've already said, the players are still human. Still plenty of errors to be made by the players.

This "remove the human element" rhetort is getting old. It's a (deliberate?) misrepresentation of the situation.

Servicing cameras isn't difficult.

7. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

8. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Same as in here:

9. cranky

I get you.

But if you go back and read what the guy was saying . . . I'm talking about baseball games and he's talking about life in general.

10. Rickety

No, that's not my point in this, servicing a camera is stupid easy, but you want it to be powered by AI I'm assuming, right? So who is going to service the computer that runs the AI that the camera is feeding to? I'm not saying that it can't be done, I just want to see you say who is going to service the machines.

11. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I have never parked anyone, but at times it's so damn tempting.

fezz parka likes this.
  12. cranky

I was only making a basic point about what I see as the actual lack of need for them in the majority of situations, coupled with the problems arising when they get it wrong.

This is how I see and talk about the world.

13. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

In spades!

The first official baseball game was played in 1846 and for the most part has remained true to it's roots to this day.

It's one of the few remaining historical cultural events we have and it would be really sad to see it invaded by technology.

fezz parka likes this.
  14. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Nobody would argue a call if a T-800 was calling the game.

15. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

The pebble you throw in the pond makes ripples you can't control.

Be mindful as to where you throw the pebble. :)

16. cranky

Whoever is doing it now. Because the tech is already there. All we have to do is let the tech make the call.

If the ball goes in the rectangle or touches it's perimeter, it's a strike. Easy peasy.

"Servicing" the tech is neither here nor there.

The problem is the umpires' lobby. They are no doubt influencing how the league decides to use or not use the tech.

17. cranky

Duely noted.

At times, I perceive the pond's indifference toward me, and I throw all pebbles to the wind.

18. Rickety

Okay, so I'll make it easy for you... people will service the tech... people... meaning that the ones who service the tech will still have an influence over how those calls are made. Who are they going to consult about how the AI should make the calls?... Umpires... they're going to consult umpires about how the AI should make the calls. What happens when the technology fails? What happens when the technology glitches and makes a bad call? Technology can't solve everything and it can't replace everything that humans do with their eyes, sometimes you need the human element.

19. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

You can't do that here. :)

20. cranky

Okay.

But, with the tech, the margin of error is so significantly reduced when it's a matter of "ball inside box?" or "bat reaches plane on check swing?" or "foot touch base first?" And that's the point. Tech makes it easy, and we can all see it.

Also, if I may double down on your argument for the sake of rhetoric. You've completely undermined any anti-tech argument that relies on the "human error is part of the game" line. So, thank you for that.