Beginner/intermediate Strat choice

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Trudo97, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Trudo97

Trudo97 New Member!

Hi I’m looking to buy my first electric, I want to start by playing acdc nirvana alternative rock type riffs.

I don’t want a Squier, I want to buy something I love the feel of and the looks of so I keep it forever and doesn’t loose interest. I like kirt cobains style of guitars, offsets, sonic blue with red pick guards, black on black strat etc...

Other than i would need an HSS, what do you recommend as far as make model fretboard etc...

I’m considering new and used

3bolt79 and Stratafied like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Welcome to the forum!!

Why don't you want a Squier? If you have heard from other people that they're not good, you heard wrong.....their high end models are on par with Fender Mexico.....

I would recommend a Squier Classic Vibe 70s HSS - it is a good enough guitar for a pro, and good enough to keep for life....nothing needs upgrading....

https://www.long-mcquade.com/129472...tocaster-HSS--Laurel-Fingerboard---Walnut.htm

https://cosmomusic.ca/guitar-electric-squier-classic-vibe-70s-strat-hss-mn-blk-1.html

I own nothing but Squier, no Fender Mexico or USA products.....

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    macoshark, brians, 98bigapple and 9 others like this.
  3. StratLover66

StratLover66 Strat-Talker

+1 on the Classic Vibe Series. Though now discontinued, the Vintage Modified Strats were also a pretty decent series and the Duncan Designed pickups actually sounded pretty decent. If you can find one on the used market I recommend you give it a try.

4. Fenderguy710

Fenderguy710 Strat-Talk Member

Squire Classic Vibe guitars are really nice. If it has to say Fender on the headstock, new MIM start at $700. There are actually several used MIM HSS Strats near me on Facebook marketplace, going for $400-500. You may find a better deal if you're patient.

StratLover66, HazyPurple and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Vintage Modified. Great value for the money. My Squier VM Tele is the 2nd best Telecaster I’ve ever played.

6. Speedmaster

Speedmaster Strat-Talker

Welcome! I think a Fender player series HSS would make a fine first Strat. In fact my first Strat was a HSS player series. Plenty of colors to choose from.

AxemanVR, hardwired, jhigley and 3 others like this.
  7. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member

why do you want a strat if you like off sets...?

Welcome to ST

Stonetone, JB74, duzie and 2 others like this.
  8. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to strat talk. I totally agree with Guitarmageddon the squier classic vibes are great guitars. Fender player series are nice too.

9. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

Don't settle for a squier, they are not even close to even a Mexican fender. Just one touch of the wood and finish and you will see what I mean.I have two Mexican fenders and with some upgrades, namely pickups, and some work, like a proper setup and nut filing, they can hold their own. My mexican fenders are better than my buddy's American Standard, all day, but that's cause it's not setup right.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  10. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

Mexican strats run about 400 on ebay right now

11. Fenderguy710

Fenderguy710 Strat-Talk Member

That's not too bad at all. I'm the type of person to look for a nice used instrument to save a little cash for upgrading.

12. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-O-Master

Great recommendations from the group already - a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe would be an excellent choice, and by all accounts, a great guitar that at any skill level you can really enjoy. I picked up a used Squier SE (standard edition) for about $115 that plays extremely well - I’ve tweaked it a bit, but it’s my hss “beater” and I have to say it has exceeded my expectations in sound and playability.

Attached Files:

brians, Gadoffal and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

If you like Cobain styled guitars forget Strats.

I'm not a Squier fan personally so a Fender Mustang should fill your criteria.

Cheaper than the Strat equivalent, shorter scale so probably easier for a beginner too.

£479 over here, I'm sure cheaper in the US.

[​IMG]

mbonness, TN703800, billybuck and 6 others like this.
  14. Rocket King

Rocket King Strat-Talker

I say save up for a good made in Mexico Fender. There's plenty of models on the used market to choose from.

rlongnt, Fenderguy710 and HazyPurple like this.
  15. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

No, they're not. Unless you go up to the Vintera range at twice the price, the CVs are better.

brians, Cerb, Ebidis and 4 others like this.
  16. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

There is as you might expect little difference between the top range Squiers and the low range Fenders, after all they sit next to each other very closely in a very broad range (lowest priced starter Squiers up to CS Fenders... £190 - £5000.) so you'd expect quality to be close.

In my opinion China (who made the old CVs) and Indonesia (who made the old VMs) have both gotten production and quality control to exceptional levels and certainly on a par with Mexico's cheaper products.

The problem is it all just goes down to personal preference. Neck shapes, radius, body style, the sounds it's gonna make... it's all subjective. My 'best' guitar is a 2005 CIJ ST72 but to be honest my heavily modded Squier Affinity comes very very close. A good guitar that feels great to you is just that regardless of it's price point.

Get your mask on, put some hand sanitiser in your pocket to clean between instruments and get yourself to a store to try a few out. It's the only way.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

mbonness and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  17. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

IMO, the idea of buying your forever guitar in one try/purchase isn't realistic. You'll need to play lots of different instruments and find the specific features you like.
    Good luck in the search, but don't pressure yourself into thinking your first purchase needs to be your last.

18. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

Man throw in a Hotrail and that would be fun to play

Neil.C and HazyPurple like this.
  19. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Let me guess, you've never had your hands on a high end modern 2008 or later Squier Classic Vibe, have you? Your comparison is based on older lower end model Squier guitars.....

20. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I couldn't agree more !

We all know what happens when you get one .

Massive gas attacks begin :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Jmart1212 likes this.