Beginner/intermediate Strat choice

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Trudo97, Jul 18, 2020.

1. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend trying the Player series, and using it as a benchmark. If you are looking for more of an overdriven sound, some Squier's and MIM models, with ceramic pickups, might work better for you. Although factory setup may not be consistent, it's always a little easier, if you have a baseline to compare different models.

Jmart1212 and Tim S like this.
  2. Tim S

Tim S Strat-O-Master

I don’t think many of us bought our first electric based on advice from strangers on the Internet.

You need to do your own homework and try a few in person to determine what feels right to you. You might be surprised by the unexpected tone from some guitars.

Basically, stop shopping with your eyes and start shopping with your hands & ears.

Once you’ve narrowed your choices to a few particular models, then I’m sure the gang here can help answer any questions you have.

RobZ69, Fenderguy710 and Jmart1212 like this.
  3. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

Hello there,

Charvel MiMs don't have Squier silk screening on them, and they rock!

Jmart1212 likes this.
  4. kdines

kdines Strat-Talker

Good comment. For example, I now realise that I really like 6105 narrow tall frets and just seem to play better/more easily with them.

5. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Senior Stratmaster

Just remember to put aside some money so you can get a professional set-up.

After I’ve bought (and sold) a lot of guitars the past years, I can’t believe how bad some guitars are set-up. No wonder they’re selling them :)

6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

There are some really excellent Squier guitars, I’m particularly fond of the now discontinued Vintage a Modified line.

The problem is, used prices meet or exceed MIM prices.

I have seen offset Fenders in the sub $700 range on the local craigslist.

Jmart1212 likes this.
  7. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

I recently bought and immediately returned the contemporary active jazzmaster....neck felt like a toy (wood was too soft and had a weird finish) no way the nut was even 42mm, paint felt like enamel not like a poly clear coat... I so wanted to like it, being an offset in surf green with active humbuckers, you know, for a change of pace; that guitar was $449.

I Ended up buying a schecter sun valley shredder with actual Emg actives in seafoam for like $649. Not even a question of what actually felt like a real instrument and what didn't, especially over the usual $299 threshold of beginner vs intermediate instrument quality.

And in no way does price determine what you can do with it, Im sure (insert your favorite guitar god here) can play a silvertone guitar and make it sound great, but at those price points we mortals want some quality.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Rocket King likes this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

That is not a normal 'high end' Squier, that has a low quality finish on the neck almost bare wood......feels cheapo.....

That is a major exception.....you haven't tried Classic Vibe they're WAY better :)

9. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

If I would it would have to be something cool and not your standard strat or tele.

10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Classic Vibe Jaguar, Mustang, or Jazzmaster.....

Caddy and Jmart1212 like this.
  11. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

A proper setup can make all the difference.

Jmart1212 likes this.
  12. JamieHenry

JamieHenry Strat-O-Master

Welcome. I admire your wish to step up and find a legacy. If you want something truly special to remember, that has an HSS setup good for metal, leap up to the aptly named Strat Ultra. Not the new one, the 90s one. Yea, that's some money, but they aren't getting any cheaper. Amortized over the rest of your life it's peanuts. I have one, and it was my favorite until I found the only thing I liked better.

jtoomuch likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

I see the recommendations but I'll either go for Squier bullet/affinity for low budget, MIM for medium budget, or MIA for higher. All the in-between "it's only $50 more for this next version" marketing splits are useless.

What you want to do is first find a great local guitar tech. Plan on spending $100 for a full fret level+setup. Then go out and buy any guitar that catches your fancy at any price point. That guitar tech with the fret level can give you the playability of a custom shop guitar. From. any. guitar.

Otherwise, skip all the hype and find a used MIM Standard or Player Series. Get a pro setup for $50 and play away. Otherwise it's all overthinking the mess.

Make sure you look at Harley Benton and Glarry guitars.

14. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I agree.

This Squier VM Tele Custom is a killer guitar by any standard. I've had it for 4 years, and have played the snot out of it. Both at home and with the band. It has never failed to please. I have no problem choosing it over my more expensive guitars, because it can hang with the best. Every time I pick it up I am reminded how good it is, and I can't put it down. As a matter of fact, it's the one I've been playing for the last 2 days.

C730CAF4-E7F7-4E26-9FE5-13D2FB25B4B2_zpsrfhasuim.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't say "Fender" on the headstock, and it is made in a country I've never been to, but I would put it up against any high end Fender MIM any day.

The only thing I have done to it is a setup, and replaced the pots, switch, caps, and jack. The old parts were ok, but the pots were getting scratchy, so I figured I'd just upgrade all of the guts because it doesn't cost much to do. Other than lower quality electrical components, everything on this guitar is great.

I also have owned a CV Strat, and it too was a very high quality guitar.

I always scoff at the "Squier is not even close to MIM" comments.

15. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Buy a Gibson SG Standard and Angus your Heart out.

RobZ69, AxemanVR and duzie like this.
  16. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

Just grab the $120 Squire Bullet HSS. Watch a bunch of YouTube videos on how to set it up. Get it #sweet.
    That will serve you just fine for the first year or so of playing.

fnd0370005580_1.jpg

17. Antman

Antman Strat-Talker

I have a vintage modified 70s squier and it plays as nice as any Fender I own.

Attached Files:

18. hardwired

hardwired Strat-Talker

OP says "I don't want a Squier" so don't pitch one LOL

I'd look at the Fender Player Strat HSS. What's your budget

Bladesg, JB74 and AxemanVR like this.
  19. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Senior Stratmaster

As others have said - there ain't nothing wrong with a Squier. I have a couple of them as with MIM and MIA strats......They are so much better than the cheapies that were around back in the day. (microphonic gold foils, 2x4 necks, etc.)

BlurgyWurgyWibble likes this.
  20. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

I’m also in the “If you want a Fender, then get a Fender” camp... since loving your guitar will make you want to play it more.

A Fender Player or Vintera are the most affordable, high quality models if you’re planning on going new.

If going used, you can get an American Standard for around the same price - but buying used can also be tricky if you don’t know what to look for.

If it were me? I’d be happy with either the Player or the Vintera myself...

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Bladesg, chicago slim and JB74 like this.