Wanted Beginners amp

Leofender

Plink... Need a restring!!
Silver Member
Aug 28, 2021
Australia
I’ve tried the whole line of Orange SS amps, and the 35RT is the best sounding, most tube like, out of the Crush line. It’s too bad that the OP isn’t in the US, I have an Orange crush 12 he could have. It just needs a power cord.

That's very kind of you. Everyone has an electric jug for the cable too!
I play the electric jug, tuned down to E flat on account can't hit to high notes, unless someone, who shall remain nameless, ie Mara! She leaves the damn power on! Then the high notes come thick and fast! :) :p

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
If you already have a few pedals, get a used Fender Frontman 25R off craigslist or FB marketplace. Great clean channel, more than loud enough for home use. You could also get a 15R... slightly smaller version of the same thing. Look for the "R" version to get reverb.

Use the clean channel with your pedals.

Less than $100. You could probably buy one used at a Guitar Center or Sam Ash near you.

nosmo

Strat-O-Master
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Gormenghast
In that price range, I'd recommend Fender Mustang I V2 20W or a Champion 20. Rarely or never used can be $ 50-100 and that should get you a couple of years easy. Decent practice amps and you'll have another $ 50+ towards whatever else you'll want or even bills. Next amp, these Fenders are always going to be a good practice or backup amp.

I'm also beginner, and real happy with both my Fender Champion 20 for $52 (used, but never USED) and my Line 6 $34 used. I only (try to) play clean, don't fool with effects.

nosmo

Strat-O-Master
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Gormenghast
The Mustang I V2 has a hidden feature, hold down the TAP button & power the amp on simultaneously, the amp is ready to play in a neutral clean channel, disabling the amp voicing sims, effects & reverb. To power it up with all the factory presets, just turn it off and back on again. With the simultaneous TAP & Power On, you can use your pedals to shape the sound from the amp.

I'd try it with a Champion 20 as it has a single channel as well, with the tap button.

Yes, the Champ 20 will do the same thing, I learned about it here.

Stingray70

Strat-Talker
Nov 17, 2021
michigan
Since you already have a multi effects pedal I think I would suggest as others have that you get a good basic solid state amp with at least a 10 inch speaker. A 12 inch speaker would be better... This isn't about volume its more about tone.. There are some good amps with smaller speakers but when you go below about a 10 inch speaker you often get a small cabinet sound. It sounds kind of like the amp is pushing too much sound through too small of a hole, at least that is about the best way I can describe it.. If you didn't have the effects pedal I'd suggest a small modeling amp..

One word of warning... Don't buy the 40 watt monoprice solid state amp. The price is low and it has some attractive features on paper including a 10 inch speaker but it has lousy tone. The clean channel is harsh and brittle and the drive channel is even worse. It doesn't sound good with a multi pedal either... Stay away...

wooders

Strat-O-Master
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
I ah e a black Star 1w head and 12" cab. Just lovely. I paid about £130 I think used in mint condition. Highly recommend.

GratefulDean

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 27, 2020
Colorado
I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd jump in. I bought a new Bugera V5 and it is fantastic! It is an attenuated 5/1/.1 watt tube amp that can be had for under $250. I got mine for under $200 new.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
A used 50w Katana. Superb pedal platform.
How?

They don't even have an fx loop!

That, imo, makes it only half of a decent pedal platform to begin with. The other half, the fx loop, is MIA.

I'd save a few more $ and get the 15w Monoprice Stage Right/Harley Benton tube amp combo. Whichever is right for where you live.

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO
How?

They don't even have an fx loop!

That, imo, makes it only half of a decent pedal platform to begin with. The other half, the fx loop, is MIA.

I'd save a few more $ and get the 15w Monoprice Stage Right/Harley Benton tube amp combo. Whichever is right for where you live.
So, you believe that in order for an amp to be a good pedal platform it must have an effects loop? :rolleyes:

There are probably two dozen or more classic amps pros and semi-pros have been using for decades that lack an effects loop.

Ya' must be a real youngster if you never run a pedal chain through amps with no effects loop. LOL

rockbreaker

Strat-O-Master
Jun 3, 2011
Suffolk Co.
Well...this IS the classifieds so I wouldn't blame someone for "trying to sell you" an amp. I'm sure plenty of people here have what you're looking for...
Good luck though...