Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Behold my 1st home made Bass

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by JP Lace Master, Jul 31, 2017.

1. JP Lace Master

JP Lace Master Strat-O-Master

Sep 23, 2013
    Kent
    DSCF0512.JPG DSCF0513.JPG DSCF0518.JPG DSCF0517.JPG As some may know I am a builder and player of guitars and although I've made a double neck Bass/Guitar hybrid, I have not made a proper bass before, so I built one today.

The body is a 14 inch long Empty Chocolate Tin with a solid 18.5 Inch length of Pine going through the centre of it for strength and for mounting everything.

The neck came from an old Encore P-bass, made of a nice bit of Maple and has a 20 fret Rosewood fretboard.

The electrics are very simple (or at least would be with they were bloody working). The pickup is a Artec Bass Humbucker wired into a single B250k pot for volume control and that wired into a jack.

The bridge is a Wilkinson and has Brass saddles, I haven't intonated it, it ain't what I do.

Here's some pics, what you guys think?

vlxerdon, conehead, hornpiper and 7 others like this.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Very nice. Better than the original body. :) The necks were usually the best part on those things. How's the weight distribution?

3. JP Lace Master

Sep 23, 2013
    Kent
    The neck is a beauty, but its heavy and despite the amount of pine in the body, it is still a hollow tin. when you sit and play this thing you really have to support the neck, but its comfortable despite that

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

4. veehotel

veehotel Strat-Talker

Apr 21, 2016
    NL
    I expected a lot of Luthier wood work. But wow you surprised me!, I hope the chocolates where good ;) nice work, surprising how that books takes the tension of the strings!

5. JP Lace Master

Sep 23, 2013
    Kent
    The tension was a bit of a worry, but I worked around that, the strings are of a lighter gauge and I replaced all the screws that came with the bridge with longer, fatter ones, with the middle screw going nearly all the way through the tin. Plus there is a lot of framework between the bridge and the length of pine holding the neck on for strength.

The luthier wood working is always minimal with these builds, just need to run the wood through the planer 100 times and then hand sand and round off the corners and edges of the exposed wood.

And the chocolates were lovely, had the whole family enjoying them.

Nick Evans and veehotel like this.

6. JP Lace Master

Sep 23, 2013
    Kent
    Updates people: I have been unable to get the electrics to work on this thing, its definitely the grounding, but I've tried everything and still nothing. Gonna take the whole lot out and replace with a couple of Piezos.

7. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia

Maybe you could do dual output jacks, with the mag pickup and piezos on different jacks??

Wiring up a volume control only is not too hard... take a photo of the wiring and I will try to trouble shoot.

8. JP Lace Master

Sep 23, 2013
    Kent
    I've already removed it all, just waiting on the piezos. when I get back home (away at the moment), I will send a pic of the wiring.

9. JP Lace Master

Sep 23, 2013
    Kent
    Updates and good news people, the Piezos are installed and they are working a treat. I got a pair of a 25mm Piezo discs glued to the under side of the tin near enough directly underneath the bridge itself and the sound is awesome through my Fender Mustang Amp.

The tone is interesting, acoustically it has a good low end thump, but once plugged in, it has a lot of added mid range with a tone somewhat similar to Jack White's Bass lines in Seven Nation Army and Hardest Button to Button.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

10. CosmicRider

CosmicRider Strat-Talker

Jun 26, 2017
    NY
    Holy smokes man that thing looks neck heavy

11. JP Lace Master

Sep 23, 2013
    Kent
    Not as heavy as it looks, the neck has quite a bit of weight to it, but the body is hollow and the pine framework is lightweight but strong. I've got 6 string solid bodies that weigh more.

12. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Cool, and unrestricted access to those top frets.

13. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Wouldn't a tin of dark chocolates made a better bass?

14. JP Lace Master

Sep 23, 2013
    Kent
    I did look for one, but a tin that size is a rare one.