Behringer Compressor help...

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by gcconspiracy, Jan 3, 2009.

1. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

Hey guys, I've just picked up a Behringer CS100 Compressor/Sustainer, and am wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to use it/set it up. It has a LEVEL knob, a TONE knob, an ATTACK knob, and a SUSTAIN knob on it. I'm pretty sure I know what the LEVEL knob does, but the rest are a bit of a mystery (and the single piece of paper they give you as an owners manual was not a ton of help either. Anyways, if anyone knows how to set up a compressor, or knows what the knobs do specifically, I'd appreciate the help!

-gcc

2. sparkeyjames

sparkeyjames Strat-Talk Member

There are 4 parts to a musical notes envelope though in most musical instruments this is highly variable due mostly to how a player chooses to play a specific note. 1. Attack 2. Decay 3. Sustain 4. Release. This is mostly useful for synthesizer but can be applied to just about any note played on any musical instrument. Please refer to the picture. I think you can get what those knobs do with a little imagination. O=amplitude or volume and t=time or duration.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  3. gcconspiracy

yeah, I understand this, but the pedal's manual seemed to contradict what one would think... As far as I can figure, the ATTACK button tells you how quickly the compressor will squash the note. Also, TONE seems to be a simple bass-treble knob (although the manual just said some really confusing stuff for this knob). As for the SUSTAIN, I'm thinking it simply takes the pedal from being a "limiter" on the counterclockwise side, to a "sustainer" on the clockwise side. Any corrections on this, or other info will be greatly appreciated.

-gcc

4. sparkeyjames

sparkeyjames Strat-Talk Member

Ah the ubiquitously crappy Behringer manual. I have an FCB1010 midi pedal board and the manual for that is crap as well. It is hard to say what the CS100 does as far as what knob adjusts what function just how far. I guess just playing around with it some will probably help more than any explaination can.

Ok I think I found some articles that explain compression/limiting fairly well. Try these links....

Harmony Central - Compression/Limiting

And this one ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_reinforcement

Finally this one....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_level_compression

5. gcconspiracy

wow, now that really was some worthwhile reading! Thanks so much for all the help sparkey, I'm really starting to understand the effect more (which in turn makes the knobs on my pedal a lot easier to figure out!). Thanks a ton for all the research you've done to help me out.

-gcc