Belated NAD (Vox handwired)

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Chmason85, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

About a week or so ago I got a Vox AC15 handwired from sweetwater. I’ve wanted this amp for quite some time and worked a good deal with my sales rep. I am blown away by this amp, it is seriously the nicest I’ve ever owned and exactly the sound I’ve had in my head. I was mostly playing my Gretsch 6228 with it, but decided to restring and give my strat a fresh setup and am totally blown away by how it sounds through this amp with the stock single coils. It screams through the top boost channel. Also got the Earthquaker devices “Plumes” overdrive pedal and highly recommend that as well!
    655FE4E1-27ED-4035-A245-28DF88E13FAD.jpeg 35ADAB6B-7629-4D5B-AAEF-7A61A067B535.jpeg 9F6FF535-0CA6-41F6-BA6F-0408C852D1E3.jpeg

sam_in_cali, bsman, Voxman and 20 others like this.
  2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Nice rigg !

Congrats ;)

Is that Seafoam Pearl ?

Chmason85 likes this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

HNAD! It certainly has all the looks of cool! :cool:

Sarnodude and Chmason85 like this.
  4. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

That's Nice!!

Chmason85 likes this.
  5. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

Thanks! It’s just surf green, I think the color of the amp behind it is making an optical illusion

6. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

That's a great amp! I've been eyeing up the handwired AC30 for a while.

HNAD:thumb:

Chmason85 likes this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Senior Stratmaster

Congrats on your fine new amp.
    I would like to have one to run my Gretsch guitars through it. Everyone says they are a great combination.
    Enjoy yours while I dream about one.

Chmason85 likes this.
  8. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

HNAD. I've had my eye on one of those for ages now, but figured it wasn't worth the grief of 'oh another amp' from my wife until I create some space clearing other gear out. I just hope there is one available by the time I'm ready...I love a nice Vox amp. :cool:

Chmason85 likes this.
  9. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

I was on a waiting list for a fender supersonic 22 that wouldn’t be available until October possibly, and I forgot about the handwired series and saw that sweetwater had a few left and I had to pull the trigger! I’m pretty sure the only thing that slowed me down was waiting on the response from my sales rep for a better price. We worked something out and three days later it was on my doorstep. I haven’t even tried it with any pedals yet, I’m about to see how the OD pedal works on the normal channel. This is a very versatile amp with four inputs and the little toggles.

Mr Jagsquire likes this.
  10. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Sweeeeet!

Chmason85 likes this.
  11. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

I used a second hand Supersonic 22 when I was trying out various Strats back in about October last year. I own a '64 Custom Deluxe reverb, so figured this would be close to my amp in clean tones at least, but I wasn't that impressed with it to be honest. To be fair I didn't get to really turn it up too much in the shop, but I'd considered a '22 for a while as a lower risk to taking my CDR out to gigs (it's also the hand wired version, but Fender charges a lot more than Vox, especially at UK prices).

I'm making do with a little Vox MV 50AC, but it's not even as good as my old Vox Night Train 15 watt head, let alone a AC15 HW...I'll get one some day for sure. I've got Fender and Marshall valve amps/heads, so I really need a Vox valve amp for balance. :)

Chmason85 likes this.
  12. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

This gets an amazingly close Marshall tone with an overdrive plugged into the normal channel with the bright switch engaged, not high gain but like a vintage Marshall. My pedal is supposed to be tube screamer-like and it works perfectly.

Mr Jagsquire likes this.
  13. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Stratmaster

Congratulations!

Nice amp and that would be the Vox amp that I would want.

Also a very nice guitar.

Chmason85 likes this.
  14. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

Grats!

The HW amps are great. I have the AC15 and AC30 and just love them. Sold off all my other amps.

Did you get the greenback or the blue?

Chmason85 likes this.
  15. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

I got the greenback, it was $200 less and I’ve had greenbacks before. I had read that the blues can be pretty bright/harsh until broken in. This is my favorite amp ever, it’s just amazing, so many tones hiding in there. I play mostly power pop/punk and was originally using the top boost channel in hit mode, but now funny enough the best OD tone for me is actually my Earthquaker overdrive into the normal channel with the bright switch on, sounds soooo good!

Voxman likes this.
  16. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

Greenbacks sound great with Voxes.

I had greenbacks in my AC30, but I put in some Alnico Golds I had lying around

Chmason85 likes this.