Bell’s Palsy? Never heard of it, now I have it.

Deathray

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 20, 2018
Down on the upside
Went to the emergency room yesterday morning, thinking I was having a stroke. One side of my face was drooping, that eye is barely blinking, difficulty drinking fluids, etc. after scanning my brain, checking my blood, and ekg, doing a neurological exam, they say it’s Bell’s Palsy.

I’m told it’s caused by a viral infection. I’ve been being treated for bronchitis in the last week, was feeling much better, and now this! ER doctor said that it can be from the herpes simplex virus.
At any rate, it’s supposed to get better, in an unknown time frame. It’s actually gotten a bit more intense, but research says it could take a few more days to peak. It only affects the nerves in the face, but I have to tape my eyelid shut to sleep. I’m on an anti viral, and steroid treatment. I sound like I’m drunk when I talk, and I have an important interview for a promotion coming up.

Anyone here have any experience with this condition?

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Wow, that's a downer. Sorry to hear you're going though it. Be your own advocate... do lots of research and find out what the latest (peer reviewed, double blind, clinical studies) treatments are.

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida
Went to the emergency room yesterday morning, thinking I was having a stroke. One side of my face was drooping, that eye is barely blinking, difficulty drinking fluids, etc. after scanning my brain, checking my blood, and ekg, doing a neurological exam, they say it’s Bell’s Palsy.

I’m told it’s caused by a viral infection. I’ve been being treated for bronchitis in the last week, was feeling much better, and now this! ER doctor said that it can be from the herpes simplex virus.
At any rate, it’s supposed to get better, in an unknown time frame. It’s actually gotten a bit more intense, but research says it could take a few more days to peak. It only affects the nerves in the face, but I have to tape my eyelid shut to sleep. I’m on an anti viral, and steroid treatment. I sound like I’m drunk when I talk, and I have an important interview for a promotion coming up.

My neighbor had it about 12 years ago, and my daughter got it about 6 years ago. Both recovered within a few weeks. My daughter took some therapy and some drugs. It can be brought on by stress, or systemic factors like the bronchitis you mentioned. Your in luck that wearing a face mask is now a common practice , so you can easily hide the sagging-face effects and avoid being stared at. It shouldn't effect your promotional interview if you are a valued employee....s**t happens.

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Sounds really unpleasant. :( Friend was in the USA with his wife on a business trip and they went somewhere very cold (I'm talking the sort of cold we never get over here). That gave his wife Bell's Palsy, with the symptoms you describe, and she still had it several years later. However, what caused her BP was completely different to yours, so I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

hiasakite

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 28, 2021
UK
Sounds like me 4 years ago.. will post a longer reply later, but in short, take steroids fast (within 24 hours of start.. so hopefully already done in ER) and the rest/ take it easy...

Will post more later..

Last edited:

Davono

Strat-O-Master
Aug 17, 2021
Ireland

Balls but phew. My mother has it. Taxi drivers and people who drive for a living in cold places get it. Something about the window being open,and having temperature differences across your head. My mam does not look after herself that well. Diet, hydration and rest are important. Nerves need to actually regrow so you need to optimise your general health to achieve best outcomes. Get a doctors note for that promotion interview. Ask for an extra 15 minutes and some understanding as the condition should he temporary. Swift revocery to you.