Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Berklee online ? Reviews/recommendations

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by kwikrp, Nov 5, 2017.

1. kwikrp

kwikrp Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2014
    SE Mass
    I saw that Berklee if offering online degrees and certificates in many music studies. They have an online certificate program for guitar. I was thinking of enrolling. I was wondering if anyone has done any of the programs or classes? Was wondering about your thoughts and experiences?

Thank You

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Hello,

No, I haven't completed anything on-line I'm sorry....But....

Around 25-years ago, the main "guitar" tutorial I had to go through whilst completing my Dip. in Jazz & Pop, was a most excellent book from the Berklee Series....

" A Modern Method for Guitar, (books one through three), by W.G.Leavitt ".

Awesome stuff !!! But be warned in advance, you need to put in the time & effort to reap the rewards...

All the very best of luck, enjoy yourself, & stick at it !

Cheers,

Rastus

abnormaltoy likes this.

3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    What's your long term goal as a musician?

abnormaltoy and fezz parka like this.

4. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    No one actually graduates from Berklee. You go for a year then drop out to form a progressive rock band.

Bera, Duotone, velvet_man and 4 others like this.

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Totally untrue!!! Some are sax players who join fusion acts.

Bera, otto6457, abnormaltoy and 2 others like this.

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Wow, Brad Whitford. That's a little surprising.

7. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    Berklee has a very big guitar faculty. I’ve seen that Rick Peckham is doing some of these lessons and he is a superb guitarist/teacher.
    Be sure to ask exactly the content you are about to study because a lot of these programs are standardized and since last time I checked they are kind of expensive ask them and check out some sample videos in you tube and be sure that this is what you need and look for otherwise results can rank from too simple/boring to stuff beyond your theory/harmony level.

If the program includes private lessons that’s another story but still Berklee has a faculty of more than a hundred guitar teachers from metal to reggae so do a little bit of research to know if the guy suits your needs or will be able to inspire you and give what you need right now.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    abnormaltoy likes this.

8. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    I live in Boston and had a buddy attend around 1981 or 82 and I got to hang out there a bit and jam with some of the students. If you want to teach music or be a jazz cat or prog dood then you can benefit. Most rock guys and gals and pop music types probably will not get much from it. Intense classes at least in the actual physical school I would guess the same online..

abnormaltoy likes this.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Elliot Easton went to Berklee. Education is good.

For the OP, I'd find a teacher who you can sit across from. In person. One in person lesson from a teacher who gets what you want to do is worth 10 video lessons.

10. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    +1
    I haven't done a guitar course, but did a different online music course with them a few years back, and found it overly simplistic. Kind of like a survey for interested hobbyists, but not serious training for pros. The instructor was kind of phoning it in according to the set structure. Surely not all instructors or courses are the same, but my one experience there was pretty shallow and impersonal.

Rastus and abnormaltoy like this.

11. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    Berklee is quite a bit more rock/pop aware and friendly now vs then. Competition happened, it had to change to stay relevant.

12. kwikrp

kwikrp Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2014
    SE Mass
    Thank you all for the responses

abnormaltoy likes this.

13. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Didn't Pat Metheny graduate (and teach) there?

14. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    Many famous alumni didn’t graduate. As far as I recall Pat Metheny began teaching at berklee shortly after he enrolled as a student.
    Yeah education is good at berklee no doubt about it, but what’s best there is networking and making contacts... many also go there till they make enough connections in the business and then follow they own path as John Mayer for example.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Paperback Rocker likes this.

15. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    You take the courses if you need that kind of paper work on your resume. Otherwise get the books, a good instructor, and people to play with. The real power with higher level music education is all the time spent playing with really good people. Sweating it out in front of the crowd is how you develop as a musician.

16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    Heart O' Dixie
    Isn't that kind of ironic? The teaching ranks had to create a curricula to "teach" a music that was never formalized, and created by non-students? I'm thinking of 200 and 300 series classes like:

Unreading Music (not required, but recommended for previous students)
    Music Anti-theory
    Tabulation without Standard Notation
    Intentional Dissonance Theory
    Anti-Pedagogy I and II
    Clashing 3rds (American Trends)
    Learning not to Learn I, II, III and IV
    Writing Music without Writing I
    Structure: Unlearning Scales and Chords
    Structure II: Unhearing the Romantic Period
    Supplementation: Eliminate Bad Habits like Rudiments
    Implementation: Reducing or Eliminating Constructive Practice (emphasis on maximizing leisure-time)

Just having fun!

17. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Man I watched some of the videos on YouTube. I don't know. Have you ever picked up a guitar before?

If the answer to that question is yes, then I think you have already graduated. At least based on the limited guitar tutorials they have on there.

Edit : Yes I do realize those are free and everything. Just seemed kind of gimmicky to me.