1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Best '50s Strat color

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by MikeinMaryland, Oct 14, 2020.

1. yoreel

yoreel Strat-Talk Member

My go to is Olympic White with Rosewood board, but the iconic 50's Stratocaster colours are Fiesta Red & Sunburst imho.

Fender were pretty clever with their marketing, the custom colours Daphne Blue, Dakota Red & Olympic White were extra cost options on all of their top range guitars, but they appeared on the Mustang in 1964 as standard colours & advertised as patriotic Red, White & Blue ( on an entry level/student guitar ).

2. Stratula

Stratula Strat-O-Master

What? Five pages and no Sherwood green?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Strat-Talker

That's a pretty good "Trick" asking what are your favorite 50's Straticater colors "Best '50s Strat color"since ALL 1950's Stratocaster ONLY CAME IN TWO COLOR SUNBURST!

NO FIESTA RED, NO SHORELINE GOLD, NO BLUES OR GREENS OR WHITE! ONLY Two Color Sunburst! Only the Gullible Clueless who've never read anything authoritative about the history Fender or the Stratocaster believe this BS.

[​IMG]

Source Quote: "Above: This compilation pic shows replica guitars sporting a range of finishes known to have appeared on 1950s Strats. They are, left to right, top to bottom: Two-tone Sunburst, Fiesta Red, Vintage White (in this case with an anodised scratchplate mimicking the 0001 serial number Stratocaster owned by David Gilmour), and Shoreline Gold. Vintage White was really Olympic White, as demystified here.

This is a commonly misunderstood area of early Strat manufacture. The multi-coloured American and Japanese reissues built forward from the 1980s probably helped fuel the notion that ‘50s Strats were listed in a range of finishes. But in fact, there was only one standard finish for the 1950s Stratocaster: two-tone sunburst, black-edged, with a golden yellow centre. And in 1954 when the Strat was introduced, it wasn’t even a published fact that non-standard finishes could be obtained. Therefore, almost all mid 1950s Strats were outshopped in two-tone sunburst.
    [A Brief Guide To 1950s Stratocasters]

Get a CLUE people and stop living in a delusion, READ actual History.

jrbirdman and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  4. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talker

So this one is fake?
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/1955_Fender_Stratocaster_Serial_7589

And Fender is lying to us in this link.
    https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/the-history-of-the-fender-stratocaster-the-1950s

In this one Mr Fullerton is full of it.
    https://www.vintageguitar.com/12923/custom-color-stratocasters/

I've not really looked into it on any serious level, so I'll take your word for it. For the most part I just don't care.

That being said I have a hard time believing that one of the most well known (& innovative at the time) guitar makers in history only offered their new toy in one flavor for 6 years.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  5. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talk Member

+ the actual Fender catalog from 1958:
    https://reverb.com/ca/item/10070216...case-candy-stratocaster-telecaster-jazzmaster

jdto, Pandamasque and ibdrkn1 like this.
  6. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talker

jdto and J4ME5 like this.
  7. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

I know my favorite. Only have my Tele to show it but Strats came in this color too!

FBE76286-C67D-484A-BCAD-FE80410ECDB6.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    jdto, jtoomuch and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  8. billy1187

billy1187 Strat-Talk Member

The 50s color options are limited and there are plenty of other good colors but let me throw this one at you - charcoal gray metallic. Took one can of Duplicolor and this is pre-clear coat.

Not a Fender color, and not be confused with Charcoal Frost which has a blue-ish tint.

I’ve since repainted this guitar ice blue as I’m going to use the charcoal color for a Les Paul and a pickguard Strat with maple neck & matching charcoal headstock.

Attached Files:

Jerseystratfiend likes this.
  9. billy1187

billy1187 Strat-Talk Member

And I also needed something different from my sonic blue. Waiting on new pickguard to complete as I damaged this one drilling a control hole.

Attached Files:

10. gaddis

gaddis Senior Stratmaster

FC356CB3-F340-4956-8C3D-B4AC4F853D28.jpeg Sunburst always works for me.

HJR-, jrbirdman and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  11. Spats

Spats Strat-Talk Member

You make your point clearly, but is this not just a pleasant discussion on what is in truth a most frivolous of topics?

I just love looking at the Fenders colours!

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

I think any colour will look good with a maple neck, whatever you like.

13. Torvald

Torvald Strat-Talker

I'm not sure when Faded Sonic Blue came along but it's my current favorite. 20201010_075628.jpg
    I know Sonic Blue was there early on, so when those guitars aged I'm guessing they decided to reproduce the faded look?

14. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

To me, ANY COLOR looks great with a maple neck.

chicago slim likes this.
  15. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

Always thought this was the case:
    Custom-color finishes appeared on Fender instruments well before the company’s first color chart was released in 1960. The mention “available in a DuPont Ducco color of the player’s choice at an additional 5% cost” first showed up in spec sheets for the Stratocaster and Precision Bass circa ’56, but customer requests for non-standard finishes actually go back to the early ’50s.

Pandamasque, Rocket King and ibdrkn1 like this.
  16. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

Sherwood Green

[​IMG]

17. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talker

I have a "Greg Fessler Designed" 60's Classic Player in Faded Sonic blue. It's part of their Custom Shop Designed series & it looks like they went as far as to finish it in the normal Sonic Blue then "fade it" as opposed to just mixing paint that is the color Sonic Blue turns into.

Seems over the top, but I like it.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Under the pickguard, neck & back plate the finish is not faded.

18. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I came across this article that discusses 50's Strat colors.

https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2015/03/a-brief-guide-to-1950s-stratocasters.html

19. NavyChief01

NavyChief01 Strat-Talk Member

Love all the colors depending on neck, fretboard, and the endless visual changes a different pick guard can initiate.

lately though, I’m just loving white, especially as it ages. I love my 61 Strat with its dark tinted flame maple neck and dark Brazilian rosewood fretboard, and lightly yellowing white lacquer. It’s period correct and with its custom ordered Cruz pickups, it sounds from sweet to beast. Built by master builder Dale Wilson, it weighs in at just a tad under 7 pounds, and it’s like a piece of art I can not only enjoy visually, but play and marvel at the ear candy it produces.

Attached Files:

Torvald likes this.
  20. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

I second the Aztec Gold !! And blonde is good too !

NavyChief01 and CyFan4036 like this.