Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best amp for a dirty bluesy rock tone?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Lightnin', Oct 5, 2012.

1. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Banned

May 6, 2012
    America
    Hi fellow people. I'm in a constant struggle tone wise, and I need some help. What is the best amp for a mean, raw, dirty, blues tone. I'm not wanting a high gain or metal amp. Just like what I wrote above.

2. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Peavey Classic 30.

3. steben

steben Senior Stratmaster

Aug 9, 2012
    Zulte, Belgium
    Bluesbreaker aka JTM 45
    no reverb however

4. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario, CANADA
    Love my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. 40 Watts, All tube, channel switching, classic Fender cleans, spring reverb. Some folks don't like the gain channels, but for me, it has a great range of tones from blues to classic rock. Its not a bedroom amp though - but lots of volume for gigging.

5. blues dues

blues dues Senior Stratmaster

Aug 11, 2011
    Washinton D.C.
    It depends on your budget & how much wattage you need for the size venues you play. As has been mentioned a Marshall Bluesbreaker is nice or a Fender Bassman for the big names. There are also a plethora of boutique builders that have a lot of great amps to pick from depending on the 1st 2 items I mentioned in this post, budget & wattage.

6. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

fender bassman, or a badcat for this guy. both are amazing amps. the badcat is just a touch harder to get your hands on

7. tommytele

tommytele Senior Stratmaster

Oct 14, 2009
    Mill Valley, CA
    Blackface Super Reverb

8. JinxOnU

JinxOnU Strat-O-Master

Mar 17, 2012
    Lincoln, NE
    Any nice low-wattage tube amp, Cranked tube-screamer type pedal, reverb to taste, and your Strat! :-D

9. Vlad

Vlad Strat-Talk Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Speaking of tube-screamers, Ibanez has a new series of all-tube amps with the pedal circuitry built in.

10. steben

steben Senior Stratmaster

Aug 9, 2012
    Zulte, Belgium
    which means a one trick pony.
    I don't like the idea

11. Tony6Strings

Tony6Strings Senior Stratmaster

Oct 3, 2011
    Washington State
    It's not an all tube circuit if it has a Tube Screamer built in. Still, I would like to try one out.

12. OLDGREYGIT

OLDGREYGIT Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Have a listen to some of the 18 Watt clones.
    Better than frying a squirrel in swan fat.

13. FASTLANE

FASTLANE Senior Stratmaster

Jun 11, 2012
    barnhart mo.
    anything with Fender tubes. I play a hot rod deluxe. it has beautiful full bodied blues tones.or you can go clean enough for country

14. Paulbiz

Paulbiz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 30, 2009
    Northern, Virginia

15. Valliere

Valliere Strat-O-Master

Feb 24, 2011
    Stillwater, OK

16. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Strat-O-Master

Dec 25, 2010
    Israel
    I love my JTM clone - however, to get dirty on its own it needs higher output pickups.

With a Strat and without an overdrive pedal I'll probably go for a small Fender amp - like the Tweed Deluxe. Blues Rock, in my mind, sounds better with a no-master-volume amp pushed hard - just like it did for guys like Eric Clapton, Paul Kossoff and Angus Young.

17. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI

That is sweeeet! I love that controls and features as well. Much more robust in that area than my previous Blues Junior.

18. ozzmcom

ozzmcom Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2012
    nyc
    agreed on bluesbreaker and blues deluxe reissue.
    I have a 40w one it sounds nice enough.
    Though a WARNING
    and do NOT underestimate this WARNING
    tubed amps especially +20w ones are extremely loud.
    You can turn the volume down to the bedroom level (0.5-1) although you'll loose too much tone and it won't be worth what you payed for.
    These are loud even on the stage.
    I cannot turn my amp to the crowd in small venues I have to face it towards the wall all the time.

19. JayJ

JayJ Senior Stratmaster

Nov 29, 2011
    Aurora IL
    This past Saturday I was at GC because I am really interested in getting a Fender Hot Rod amp; they had for comparison a 40W and both a 15W Blues Junior III and Blues Junior NOS (tweed covering and Jensen speaker).

At household levels, the Hot Rod 40 Watt was far too loud and unusable, I cannot imagine I would ever get it true potential unless I used a separate power soak on it. The 15 Watters, in comparison, sounded great and genuine at a reasonable volume level. Set at clean with a Tubescreamer it would, in my opinion, sound nearly perfect for the blues. Or really anything, short of heavy metal.

So yes in this case, smaller is better.