Best amp speaker for John Mayer/SRV tones?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by matthammondshow, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

I am a JBL 120 freak...130 if you can swing a 15".... they take the beating without flubbing. Read in some of Stevie's tone chases...he would use JBLs...I have a cool picture of the back of his Vibroverb playing some state fair in 1980 or 81. I loved JBLs for Allman Brothers tone as well.

henderman and mabley123 like this.
  2. rze99

rze99 Strat-Talker

Try an American Sound pedal. Cheap and brilliant.

3. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Fender Dual Showman Rvb Head, and 2 JBL E130s will get you a good start.
    Get a Twin Rvb, take the Chassis out, and have Pete Mather make a head shell for it, and a 1-2x 15 cabinet. JBL E!30s all the way.

Stevie Super Rvbs have 85w Twin Reverb Transformers.

Run pedals heavy in the mids to make up for the neutral mids of the E130. E130 has HUGE Lows, and Highs. Mids need to be filled up.

Probably one of the reasons he used a Tube Screamer to increase Mids. Youll also need to totally rethink the EQ of the amp/guitar.

I love JBL, and Altecs both. I use 2 x 15 Altec 418H Ive had since 1973, along with a 69 Dual Showman Rvb I got in 73. I also have some Hemp coned JBL E120s in 1 xx 12 Ported Cabinets I love. Some have problems with the JBLs, and Overdrive, but Ive found the trick is to not be afraid to RE - EQ the amp in ways that arent normal for regular speakers like Celestion, and many others.

I also like JBL/Altecs with Marshall circuits. Robin Trower used to run Dual Showman Rvb cabinets loaded with JBL D130F - K130s. Not sure which model. Probably D130Fs though.

Hendrix also combined his Marshall(s) with Fender Dual Showmans/Blackface and 2 x 15 JBL D130Fs.

Monterey is the first example. 1x 1966 Marshall JTM45/100, and 2x 1967 Dual Showman No Reverb then/Blackface, with 2x 2x 15 JBL D130Fs. 4x D130Fs altogether

But to make it simple a Twin Rvb, and 2 JBL E120s will be a good start for making it easy. SRV also used EV10Ms, and 15L after JBL stopped making the E series.. I really dont know how similar they are to the 12L but you may also look into the 12L, and see if sounds similar to the 10M, and 15L. I myself would track down a couple E120s, or E130s if you decide on a 15. Use a Twin Rvb, Dual Showman, or rehouse a TW-rvb into a head cabinet.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Nick-O likes this.
  4. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-O-Master

What do those do precisely?

5. rze99

rze99 Strat-Talker

It’ll get you classic Fender blackface through to tweed tones. Clean to breaking up and pretty dirty. Very wide range in there. Works best in that. Dealing up area rather than dirty. Check out the vids.

it is so good that my second guitarist doesn’t bother bringing his Fender amps to rehearsal rooms, just brings his American Sound and plugsbit into anything to get his fender tones.

Opj77 likes this.
  6. Single Malt

Single Malt Strat-Talker

First speaker that came to mind is the GASC-64. Your Blues Deluxe will work well with the right tweaks to speaker and pedals. Sure, SRV used massive amounts of volume for his sound but that's rarely practical, so you have to become creative.

The path I took was to replace the stock speaker in my Hot Rod Deluxe IV with an EVM-12L (yes, there's room) and to replace V1 with a NOS 12AY7 to lower the gain into the power section. What I ended up with, and was shooting for, is an amp that isn't as loud, and sounds cleaner like when Stevie adopted the Dumble SSS as one of his main amps. Check out SRV Live at Carnegie Hall for a comparison of the Fender sound vs the Dumble sound. No, they're not identical, but the sound is very clean and is more manageable when it comes to volume. Great for around the house and for clubs where volume is an issue. When I need dirt, I step on my Maxon OD-808 40th anniversary (great pedal). My amp is a great pedal platform on a budget and I can get some decent Jimi sounds when I stack the Maxon with a Caline Englishman. The Caline is noisy but when used a boost, it really adds some fat clarity to my Strat's tone. Very little to no compression, so its a great always on pedal, particularly live. The Maxon provides the woody, compressed sound that Jimi got from his Plexis and 4x12 stacks. No, they are not identical, but they're believable and close enough for most situations.

BTW I only use the clean channel on my amp.

7. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

yes, thats a great speaker. if you get a weber, ive read the light dope option is best also.
    i have a weber non alnico 12 f 150 and its great. it was in my drri until i got my crayon melters on a red fang.

8. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Senior Stratmaster

Practice everyday for about 15y. Then but a Dumble $100G

stratmatt777 likes this.
  9. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-O-Master

Is this the tone you are chasing? If it is, then the Reeves Space Cowboy is what you are looking for. Couple that with vintage sounding pickups in a Strat...

10. gretev

gretev Strat-O-Master

First off, I gotta say to my ear John Mayer and SRV tones are different. SRV has that biting, nasty high‘s Strat tone and John Mayers Strat tone is more mid scooped and mellow. SRV to me is hands down an early 60‘s Strat (1960-1963) through a Fender Super Reverb. Huge amp, if you want the downsized versions get a Twin Reverb or Deluxe Reverb but they will not sound the same in my opinion. Add an Ibanez Tubescreamer for SRV overdrive tone.