Join Strat-Talk Today

Best bridge pickup for Big Muff and overdrive - Fat 50s or CS '69

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Tobias Valentin, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Tobias Valentin

Tobias Valentin Strat-Talk Member

A lot has been written on forums about Fat 50s and CS '69.
    Still, I can't find a lot when it comes to this question:

Which of the two pickup sets has the best BRIDGE tones when a Big Muff or overdrive pedals are added?

What are your experiences? I'd be glad to hear.

Greetings,
    Tobias

2. Shepard_man

Shepard_man Strat-O-Master

Tag for interest.

3. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

There is no "Best" anything when it comes to tone.

The Strat Dude, Nate D and jrbirdman like this.
  4. Tobias Valentin

True.
    What I meant was "best - according to your experiences".

5. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

The Fat 50s bridge pup I had in my Am Std sounded awful with overdrive, as do most vintage wound single coils imo. The single coil for me is a wonderful middle and neck pup, but in the bridge position virually useless. Thin and wiry sounding, and especially with overdrive, noisy as heck. I replaced mine with a DiMarzio Virtual Solo which really improved things, and was hum free. In recent years I've favoured single coil sized humbuckers, first the DiMarzio Chopper which was great, and more recently the Pro Track. This pup sounds as close to a full sized PAF as I've ever heard in a single coil sized pup, and that's the sound in the bridge position that I think sounds best.

6. Fuggle

Fuggle Strat-Talker

I put CS '69s in the neck and middle, and an SSL-5 in the bridge. Roll the volume off the bridge a little, and the fuzz sounds really sweet.

7. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

In my very limited experience with fuzz, a low output single coil sounds really good because it still retains its clarity. Plus I really like the CS’69 pickups.

8. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

I don’t really have experience with either of the pickups you mention specially, but I’ll chime in anyway:whistling:

These pedals I’ve found to really thicken up a Strat bridge pickup:

Pigtronx Fat Drive
    VS Son of Hyde

As to hotter bridge pickups:

The Duncan SSL5 is REALLY POWERFUL- you can play Hard Rock and classic Metal with it
    a great pickup if you want the Power of a humbucker

The DiMarzio FS1 is a nice hot but not overly hot pickup

The DiMarzio SDS1- this isn’t really like a strat pickup at all, it’s very thick.

Seymour Duncan likes this.
  9. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

My experience, the amp plays a bigger part in a fatter fuzz tone than pickups. I don't care for Fender amps and fuzz tones, at least not Black or Silverface Fenders. My favorite fuzz tones come from amps with more mids to thicken it up a little.

10. Rydock

Rydock Strat-Talk Member

I have both of those pickup sets that I use interchangeably in my two strats. I play various big muff style pedals and both of those bridge positions sound great. They're both good for overdrive tones as well, though might want to wire the bridge to a tone control. I don't mind a little brightness, and both these pickups aren't shrill sounding if you have the heights dialed in properly. I don't get why people seem to complain about bridge single coils being thin and shrill. They should be bright and clear. It's like they expect to hear a fat sounding humbucker with they switch to the bridge position. I guess to say what I liked better, it would be the 69 in the bridge just SLIGHTLY more, but that's because I prefer to have very low outputs with fuzz. Honestly, they are both really good, so get the one that matches best with your neck and middle positions. I'd only get the 69 only as a whole set. If I was only changing the bridge, then it would be the fat 50. The 69 has its own special thing going on but the fat 50 might be a bit more versatile.

11. Tobias Valentin

Thank you all!
    Your posts are really of value to me.
    I will be back very soon with some follow up questions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.