best cable cheap

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by EXTRABLUE, Jan 16, 2021.

1. EXTRABLUE

EXTRABLUE Strat-Talker

Just so we have some idea of the prices we are talking
    Kirlin premin + is $16
    Mogami $25
    Fender $30
    GLS Audio $17
    Fulltone $35
    MXR $12
    Planet Waves Gold is $15
    Probably any of these would suit me well

2. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-O-Master

3. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

I took a capacitance meter to a retailer once and measured all the cables ... the more expensive cables had higher capacitance which will result in muddier output, some will think that means 'warmer' but it means that your tone will be darker. Cheap cables let the actual guitar signal go to the amp not act like you turned the tone knob down.

So buy cheap cables and when the molded plugs fall apart, replace them with metal solder-on styles and they will last forever.

publius and surfnturf like this.
  4. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

RobZ69 likes this.
  5. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

And a lot cheaper than buying prefab cables to connect all of my gear with 'minimum length' cables... I estimate I have about 50 to 60 meters left, and at 88 euro for 100m I still came out
    ahead.
    Although quality jack plugs are not cheap.

Bob the builder and StratoMutt like this.
  6. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

I like my less than $5 Switchcraft plugs and jacks. Even when I treated my cords badly, I never had one fail.

Tguitarfloyd and RobZ69 like this.
  7. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

Mogami

Stratoskater likes this.
  8. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Like I said cheap is relative. I used to use Martin titanium strings when they came out. They were $40 a set but that didn’t bother me at all since I was putting them on guitars that’s cost $3,000-$5,000. Cheap or low cost is different to each person, hell I’ve got an overdrive pedal that was $550 when I bought it from Sweetwater in June, that’s more than some folks spend on their guitar and amp combined.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. valor19

valor19 Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I should also point out a cable used for gigging has to be a lot tougher than those for someone who simply practices at home and does not leave the house. Most people would be content with a $10 cable. But those same cables would not hold up to the abuse a cable may get at a live show.

10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

You called? :D Let me see... I am sitting with 4 guitars I play all the time and a couple of amps and ain't got $550 in the lot. :D

ratdoc, 3bolt79 and Stratoskater like this.
  11. Stratoskater

And you are proof that it’s the player and not the gear who makes great music. I know I could buy much cheaper gear than I do but I really like toys :D

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Yeah. You get nice stuff. There are nice things I wouldn't mind having. :D

I have kinda met my match with all the drum stuff I buy for my son. Needs jazz kit? Done. Need decent cymbals? Done. Turn 18 a few weeks before Christmas? Here you go, boy, here is a 50 year old snare drum.... :D

Edit to add: The snare really sounds good, BTW.

3bolt79 and Stratoskater like this.
  13. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Other than the Belden low capacitance cables sold by Wilde Pickups (Bill&Becky Lawrence) the best alternative I've found are MXR. It's another low capacitance cable. Excellent quality too.

You don't need to spend $50-$75 on a fancy brand but you should be prepared to spend $20-$30 for a top quality 10'-12' low capacitance cable. It's all I will ever use anymore.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    3bolt79 likes this.
  14. Stratoskater

Funny thing with my 15 year old is he doesn’t ever want anything. I was buying a new pair of skis last month and was giving him a pair of mine I only rode 5 times. He has his daily driver pair from last season that are in fine shape so I was going to give him these for softer powder skiing. Then I felt bad that I got a new pair last season and was buying another pair this season so I offered him a new pair instead of me. He said no, I love my current pair and don’t want you to waste money on a second set for a few powder days a season. I was floored, at 15 if my dad told me he’d buy me a new pair of skis I’d have been in the car waiting before he could get his shoes on! Not sure where my son got his incredible self control for buying stuff, certainly not from me!

Tguitarfloyd, 3bolt79 and Dadocaster like this.
  15. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

My kid would have taken the skis.

16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I should add that Providence cables are made to order and you can pick how long your cables are. I was using Divine Noise cables and I still have them, but they were so incredibly expensive. Just like the Providence cables they are hand made.

I believe the Providence cables are just as good, and they what cost me 50 bucks from Providence was much more more expensive with the Divine Noise. I have one Divine Noise cable that cost 85 bucks. And if you ever do have a problem with them, Divine Noise’s turnaround time is at least a month. The customer service with Providence is excellent, and the turn around time was about a week IIRC, and they are in Japan.

I bought the cheaper cable for my granddaughter figuring that she wouldn’t take the best of care of it. But when I order my next batch of providence, I am going with the less expensive model. And IIRC, they can do Neutrik Silent plugs on them as well. I will order 3 or 4 at once just because the shipping will be roughly the same.

I used to just buy whatever Guitar Center had that was cheap. I had lots of cables, and they all failed. The only two brands I have used that aren’t noisy, and are high quality are the Divine Noise and the Providence.

The ten footer that I ordered for my granddaughter was surprisingly quiet and it was only 20 bux.

Stratoskater likes this.
  17. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

I make my own from Canare oxygen free cable and Switchcraft ends. Cheap and excellent quality.

18. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

I will 2nd Canare cable. Switchcraft is the old reliable. Neutrik make a nice 1/4 plug but my fave was the brass military phone plugs. So if you are making your own, and it ain't that hard, you will have that greatest flexibility. Plus the soldering practice will certainly help when you build your own 5E3 amp.

19. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

I couldn’t tell you what most of my long cables are. The best cable I’ve ever bought was a braided Peavey 20 ft cable that I’ve had since 2002. The damn thing is like new and I’ve used it countless hours in practice, at home, on stage, stepped on it and yanked it millions of times and it just keeps going.

I don’t recommend braided for stage use though-they wad up worse.

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. EXTRABLUE

EXTRABLUE Strat-Talker

Soldering is not a skill I want to learn as it always is the first time I do something I do it wrong. Let someone else solder I say.

3bolt79 and Bowmap like this.