best cable cheap

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by EXTRABLUE, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

2 for 1 sale at AMS today.
    A few brands

Namelyguitar likes this.
  2. datsunrobbie

datsunrobbie Strat-Talk Member

I bought a couple ProCo Excalibur guitar cables over 30 years ago and they have not failed me yet.

3. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talker

I think Fender cables are terrible for the most part. I may have gotten unlucky but I have bought 3 with the tweed look and 2 were not usable, the third not usable for live playing but ok for messing around. Get the Planet Waves with the gold plating or MXR.

The_Whale likes this.
  4. EXTRABLUE

EXTRABLUE Strat-Talker

That looks like a great cable but it says he doesnt ship to the USA, otherwise Id like to go with that depending what the shipping was.

5. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

This question is easy. Buy any cable with a money back guarantee. Fender Custom Shop is one option. I have had only one ever go bad. I sent them a photo of the plugs cut off and they sent me another one. Can't beat that.

6. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

Also, take five minutes and learn how to properly roll up a cable. And don't step on them. Mine are all brightly colored so my bandmates can see them. They still step on them, but not as often. Take care of your cables and they'll last a long time.

7. MissingSomethin

MissingSomethin Strat-Talker

I bought 5 sets of 20' Whirlwind guitar cables around 2005 for $39 total.
    Can't really lose with that. I still use them.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I don't know if they're still the same, but I have these old Whirlwind cables...with the thick shrink tube covering right up to the plug...I guess I got them in the late 80s/early 90s and they have hundreds of gigs on them.

9. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

Whirlwind is good and they will repair/replace without a receipt, which is nice; you do have to ship them the cable. But he said "cheap", and Whirlwind isn't.

10. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

OFC is part of the hype.

11. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

Best cheap working class cable is good ol' pro-co. I'm done with the whole Monster/ Mogami thing. Tired of returning them. Take care of them, don't tramp on them all the time and they'll be fine for a long time.

12. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning Strat-Talker

Just don't go here. Really. Stu Hamm did a demo of cheap vs good cable at a week-long workshop I went to. Man, you could really hear the difference in the one he took of a student compared to the one he uses. Really hear it; the cheap one just drained tone and sparkle out of the instrument. So I went on a search to find as good as I wanted to pay for and came up with Sommer Spirit XXL and Neutrik jacks. Either make these up yourself or you'll find that spec out there in shops - used this for 10 years now - never disappointed. It's about $3 a yard and the jacks are $3 each. Very good made in Germany stuff. Comes in black or the one I use that looks like swamp water clear.

https://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cab...Instrumentenkabel-SC-Spirit-XXL-300-0071.html

The-Kid likes this.
  13. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

Middle of the road for me (I don't do cheap) D'Addario/Planet Waves American Stage series. Neutrik plugs, American cable, HelioFused soldering. Mine have held up for years of daily use, coiled, stepped on, etc. No noise, no failures. ~$40 now.

14. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I could replicate these overpriced cables for a quarter the cost. Do they come with a Gucci storage bag and a selfie stick?

15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I’ve never bought or seen either of those. I use mogami gold and Asterope.

16. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Dude gopher LLX. This cable is amazing.

Also to OP for an affordable cable or any looking for an affordable cable check out BTPA Cables. 20-30 bucks.

Yeah it's noT 5 or 10 dollars but they are worth the extra Couple bucks.....

Your gear is worth it :)

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  17. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Most cables at GC, Sam Ash, SweetWater etc etc or whatever are kind meh.....in quality, price, performance, value..........

These are what I recommend.

mXR is amazing for the money one can find these anywhere.

BTPA beats out most out there in any big big box online or in store for much less.

Sommer as well. These are amazing.Excellent quality.

Providence cables are awesome too for the money one pays.

But for a budget or affordable option would say check out BTPA or MXR. Either of these would be an excellent choice

If you have a few more bucks check out the German and Japanese cables, they are worth it too. Other than that does not get much better tbh

18. Dimarzio54

Dimarzio54 Strat-Talk Member

I just bought on Sweetwater 10 foot Dimarzio cable for $9.99 shipped. It looks solid. Also have the Planet Waves American Stage series which Dimarzio makes which is $29.99 for the high end stuff. I owned a Klotz LaGrange cable which was $89 bucks lasted 5 years the failed.

19. Bob Spumoni

Well of course you do.

20. Bob Spumoni

Cables available at a reasonable price are either:1) Disposable if you don't want to repair them when they fail, or 2) Fixable when they fail.

Paying more than $50 for a cable is just plain dumb, unless it's of outlandish length. If you're that desperate to have a cable you can bring to Show and Tell, buy some Switchcraft ends, a box of shrinkwrap, and a roll of cable, then make your own. At least then there'll be some slight empirical basis for the acclamation you long for.

JB74 likes this.