Join Strat-Talk Today

best computer for heavy video editing?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by circles, Sep 15, 2019.

1. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm starting to shoot and edit lots of high resolution video, and I'm looking for my next computer. Any suggestions? I'll probably be focusing on towers/desktops for the best bang for the buck. My laptop is powerful beast, but some of these processing times are still running too long.

Question: How do you compare graphics processing power between Macs and PCs? PCs are easy to rank, but I don't know how to compare the apples to the oranges in regard to graphics card and pure chip power. I don't care about anything else, this will be a rendering engine.

2. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

Unless you're doing lots of 3D compositing then HDD rather than GPU will be your bottleneck. There's a free app for the Mac called Blackmagic Disk Speed Test. It will tell you what your mac can do in terms of video - and what it can't.

simoncroft and circles like this.
  3. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

well ... i work in Avid tech support so i know that product and the supported hardware but not much help in off the shelf stuff for third party software so take this with a grain of salt.

We Have HP Z840s. For the most part they have older Nvidia display cards that have 1GB of video RAM. These can be painfully slow depending on what you're wanting to do so obviously you're going to want to get the display card that has the most video memory you can get. You just have to be cautious that if you are upgrading from an existing card, you get a card that the PSU in the CPU can power... otherwise you have to either have to return it or rig up something. I've set up an external power supply outside the tower to be able to power a display card that we had to install that was more than the CPU could power. It was ghetto but it worked and it rendered and transcoded pretty fast.

jack mccarthy and circles like this.
  4. circles

That make me think, I could have someone build me a no frills dedicated machine running Linux or something.

ps I don't like Windows 10.

5. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

My wife's best friend's husband does vid editing
    He says Mac....
    All the way...
    I've no idea the strain nor vintage...
    How much help is that(NOT)....

circles likes this.
  6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Why Linux...
    Just asking....

I remember when it was FREE
    Not so much anymore...

7. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've been editing video on Apple OS for more than 10 years and wouldn't use anything else. James Cumpsty, a professional photographer and videographer I've worked with a lot, uses system running Windows exclusively: https://www.facebook.com/james.cumpsty.7/videos_by?sk=wall&lst=100009846126996:614504401:1568566568

The difference is, I set up my own Mac system, while James buys pre-configured editing systems and leaves them that way. I prefer Adobe Premiere Pro to anything else (but alas you can only rent it today, whereas you could buy PP CS6). Almost any Mac 'can' be used to edit video, but a Mac Pro with a multiple core i7 process or and plenty of RAM will speed your workflow.

Apple's Final Cut Pro is also very good, but works in a way I find totally unorthodox.

@Raimonds works in broadcasting and could tell you what they use where he works.

8. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

4 core Mac Mini with external SSD drives over thunderbolt 2. Job done.

9. circles

Cool, I was eyeing those.

10. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Get an iMac and be done with it, but if you're talking pro level video it's going to be about your GPU then your CPU.
    Real time effects, real time rendering, 4k to 8k capable, an example of a good card, nvidia's Titan which clocks in at 3 thousand dollars.

But for 4k everyday type video and you don't need everything real time the iMac is a good choice, otherwise build your own PC.

11. circles

My footage is 5760 x 4880, that adds up quick.

Another question:

It takes about 1 hour per gigabyte to upload a video to the web. Does this sound about right?

Yes, free is one reason. Also it is much safer from 'prying eyes'. It also has come a long way, and is not so complicated to install as it used to be. You can even run a Mac on it. Ubunto is one 'flavor'.

https://ubuntu.com/download

12. simoncroft

What would worry me about going the Linux route is what video editor I'd use: https://ubuntufy.com/2018/08/28/top-video-editing-software-ubuntu-1804/

I learned the hard way that just because a package is offered by a 'big name' it doesn't mean it's any good. The cut down versions of Adobe and Avid's offering's are simply awful. I've never encountered such slow render times. I thought I'd be sacrificing features, not dealing with progams that had been deliberately crippled to the point they were useless for anything longer than a 30 second clip.

What editing packing do you want to work with? Once you've answered that, everything else will fall into place.

circles and Chont like this.
  13. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever stung by a dead bee?" Strat-Talk Supporter

Mac all the way.
    When I was in the commercial film industry the majority of the non liner film editing I saw and I saw a lot, was done on Mac platforms.
    Sometimes Linux but mostly Mac.

14. Chont

I think a lot of big facilities would ditch Avid if they could or haven’t already. Avid falls short In many ways but isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

There’s talk of us moving to premiere but can’t really see that with 300+ edit stations plus the infrastructure integrated with Media Central and Interplay on countless producer seats. Not to mention LA, Washington, Chicago and London locations

We just upgraded our workgroups and it was madness people adjusting to the new version. Can’t imagine people suddenly having to switch platforms LOL

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  15. circles

I'm addicted to the Adobe suite, even though it is subscription (boo). Yea, I've just started to entertain Linux, will investigate further. That might be the deal killer, Adobe is not supported on Linux due to it's relatively small user base. Hopefully that will change.

Capture.JPG

https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-adobe-creative-cloud-linux/

16. simoncroft

I followed the link, and the thing I think I read was "and after that, you're on your own, boy". If you go down that route and have problems, I don't think you can turn to Adobe for help, despite the fact you're paying them a monthly fee. If you don't want to shell out for Apple hardware, the other way to go is a Hackintosh. I got almost six years out of the one I had before I sold it, and as far as the software developers were concerned, I was on an iMac. :sneaky: Having said that, I'm back on a Mac now, and it's a lot less hassle when it comes to system upgrades.

Chont and circles like this.
  17. jack mccarthy

jack mccarthy Strat-Talk Member

I was thinking about taking a class at a local community college to allow me to take advantage of the student rate for Adobe Premiere myself. Supposedly if you continue with the subscription, you'll continue to get it at a lower rate than if you started out not going the student discount route.

I've read that if you like the after effects, it's a cheaper route than buying Final Cut Pro for a Mac and the cost of all its after effects (at least for several years).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Chont and circles like this.
  18. Chont

If you are looking at pursuing picture editing on a professional path I would choose Adobe Premiere and After Effects before Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Pro 7 was used in a lot of post houses but as soon as they moved to FCP X everyone went back to Avid or to Premiere. They took away a lot of the features that people relied on for broadcast use. I have my own gripes about having to support FCP 7 back in the day but when it switched to X it was unusable in our environment. Something to think about if you are looking to get work in a studio environment. Working for yourself is a different story.

fezz parka, jack mccarthy and circles like this.
  19. stratology

stratology Strat-Talker

Have a look at the upcoming new Mac Pro and, especially, the upcoming displays.

Both target video professionals, with the performance - and price - to match. The displays directly compete with current displays in the $40,000 range.

A free 30 day trial of Final Cut Pro X is available here.

Also, have a look at Motion. It competes directly with Adobe After Effects, but at a much lower price point (€55).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    T Bone Slort and circles like this.
  20. ChuckHardwater

ChuckHardwater Strat-Talk Member

I think the question you should be asking yourself here is "What software will I be using". The answer will govern your choice of hardware.

nederemer, circles and johnnymg like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.