best computer for heavy video editing?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by circles, Sep 15, 2019.

1. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh wow, Motion looks like a good option.

I always found Final Cut a bit intimidating and that After Effects suited my needs perfectly.

When I retired in 2012 I was using CS5, so that's what I still use on my iMac.
    Unfortunately that meant I was stuck with Snow Leopard as my OS which ultimately Apple stopped supporting.

My solution was to pop in a 2TB HD and partition it with one side running 10.6 and the other 10.13.6

OS 10.6 lets me run all my legacy apps and High Sierra is still supported.

Of course I have to boot into the old OS every time I want to use it so I've been looking for alternatives.

So far I've found that the newest version of Affinity is a pretty good Photoshop replacement (Gimp not so much IMHO).
    I have not found a good replacement for Illustrator, so far Inkscape is iffy on OS 10.13.6.

My two other needs are replacements for InDesign and After Effects.
    Lucidpress might be a good InDesign alternative and I'll defiantly check out Motion and at $70 CND it might be a good solution.

simoncroft and circles like this.
  2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

I edit video using a 2019 13" MBP laptop using FCPX. :eek: It's a maxed out machine though: 1TB internal super fast SSD and lots of RAM. I'm not doing anything fancy but it's still surprising fast. If I get into 4K (should be doing that this year) I can still edit on that machine. There are even people running these laptops with external GPU's at near iMac Pro speeds.

I agree with what @ChuckHardwater said above. Pick your poison (app) and then the machine to run it. I'm just a weekend warrior when it comes to video editing and find FCPX to be fairly intuitive. Video editors tend to be a real PITA to learn. i.e. think about doing a complicated edit on a still image and then multiply the complexity by a factor of 10.

3. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

Yea, I mentioned earlier that I do that. Mostly I'm trying to size up Macs' abilities to handle heavy graphics. I don't think they could handle VR until recently. I have not shopped for a Mac since I sold my Power Mac, as my software of choice in those days, Maya 3D, stopped being ported to the PowerPC chip in it (thanks Autodesk!), turning it into an expensive paperweight with heavy metal edges that threatened to cut you any time you picked it up.

So yep I need to run AfterEffects and Premiere mostly. Offload my heaviest processing to that. I like the Mac Mini idea best so far, but then there's keyboards and a monitor to add. This laptop can do it (Razer Pro 17), but I see the need for a dedicated machine as my projects grow in scale. Currently my machine is a Razer Pro 17. I like it. Unreal Tournament anyone? :sneaky:

81+WJ3550UL._SL1500_.jpg

4. circles

What do you do with Illustrator? Any examples?

I used to use it a lot, not so much anymore. One of my favorite projects was this Vette.

rgbvette5.jpg

T Bone Slort, simoncroft and Raimonds like this.
  5. stratology

stratology Strat-Talker

These two are cross platform, but in recent years, Adobe has been slow at adopting new under-the-hood technologies in macOS.

That means, if you perform a task in Premiere on a Mac, it's possible that Premiere on a similar-spec PC performs it faster, and it's also most likely that Final Cut Pro X will be faster at performing the same task on a Mac than Premiere on the same Mac.

So if you do decide to go for a Mac, it's a good idea to test Premiere, FCPX, After Effects and Motion side by side, to compare both performance and usability.

circles and Chont like this.
  6. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

this was a huge problem for Avid Media Composer. We had top of the line HPs (at the time) but the Software wasn't even using all hardware it had at its disposal. Its gotten better but Avid tends to fix some things and break others ... it never ends.

7. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

FWIW, Adobe CS6 Premiere Pro, Illustrator and PhotoShop all work fine under High Sierra (10.13.6). I can't vouch for other programs in the Creative Suite.

circles likes this.
  8. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

The answer used to be get a MAC. Now it is buy a tower that you can install MAC OS on because multiple monitor systems built from proprietary MAC stuff is crazy expensive and not as good as the machine and monitors you can just buy straight up (you need multiple monitors for easy video editing). The hardware inside a MAC and the hardware inside of a Windows PC are EXACTLY THE SAME (except for MAC's proprietary motherboad with is nothing special) except you will pay 4 times the amount for a MAC as you would generic tower with Windows FOR THE SAME HARDWARE. MACS are insanely priced, insane, especially if you are a power user. I have been using dual OS (Windows and Mac OS) on my systems for 20 years now, you don't need to pay MAC prices to get MAC OS and frankly the MAC OS is the only superior part of the MAC platform and even that is questionable now because the MAC OS is just as vulnerable and annoyingly cluttered as Windows 10 is these days. The top video editing softwares are available on both MAC and Windows.

ChuckHardwater and circles like this.
  9. circles

Lack of competition destroys innovation. 2019 and we only have two companies capable of making popular computers? The system fails us, the users, again. I miss the SGI workstations of old, straight up graphics machines with NO bloat. Too bad the graphics cards killed them (in regards to workstations).

PS Yes Win10 sucks.

midwestfisherma and simoncroft like this.
  10. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

I cant deny that :D

I worked in video and film editing for 17 years and spent 14 years from that time with Avid, so my answer is definitely Avid, because it still has the best media metadata handling and it is real editing software, unlike others who pretend to do everything :)
    I moved to broadcasting 10 years ago and do not follow much whats happening with editing software. We have some 5 editing suites which are used for pretty simple tasks - add clock at the start, cut ends, etc; since we have some specific requirements for audio then the only software we can use is Adobe Premiere. Previously we used FinalCut7, but we had to retire because of lack of support for the latest video formats and codecs.
    Anyways, if you want to edit then use Avid, although I havent work with it last years, from my previous experience it was rock solid. Premiere was famous for the unexpected crashes years ago and still is - stability still is an issue. FCP X - I havent heard much it is beeing used as editing SW by professionals, for me that tells something. First versions were quite limiting and strange.
    Platform - MAC with better GPU, although latest windows running on server grade HW arent as bad as they used to be.

11. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Strat-Talk Supporter

Cool!

I used Illustrator for mostly graphics as I do now.

I didn't get into 3D stuff at first because I was a drawer and we didn't have computers when I started as a commercial artist.

But later on I did use an object based 3D program in conjunction with drawings for presentation.

We were MAC based so there were not too many 3D options until MiniCad became VectorWorks and upped their 3D vector capabilities.

I found it a time saver to build all my 2D plans in 3D then light them and render.

Of course this was mostly architectural stuff as I was designing sets but I could get some pretty decent renders form that program.

FRONT PANEL-REV3.jpg LAMP_COM_RL_r3a.png

circles and simoncroft like this.
  12. stratology

stratology Strat-Talker

MAC = Media Access Control. MAC addresses are hardware addresses for devices on a network.

Then computers are called Mac, short for Macintosh.

Everything else in that post is just as factually incorrect. Some of it may have been partly correct 15 years ago, but not even that...

Feel free to show off your home built Windows laptop. Curious how you handled miniaturisation, Thunderbolt, thermal management, replacement for the T2, magnetic latches, Touch ID, Force Touch, unibody housing,...

Suggesting to build a Hackintosh is suggesting software piracy, and building a highly unstable system that won't support OS upgrades, and where basics like Wifi and Messages don't work.

13. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have every reason to be supportive of your comments, because I used a Hackintosh for six years as my main machine, including a lot of paid magazine production work, as well as music and video. But there is a flip side, which is why I'm back on a Mac Pro. (All be it, eight years old, so pretty cheap for what I got.)

Upgrades are a lot harder when you're not on a bona fide Mac. Even though I used to be capable of keeping 25 Macs working in a newsroom, I never managed to upgrade my Hackintosh without paying someone to help me. So when the latest version of Logic Pro, or whatever software you'd like to upgrade to, only works on a newer OS, running a Hackintosh can be a lonely experience. It sounds as if you have the tech skills to work sound that, but I know I'm not the only one who is out of their depth sometimes without support from the manufacturer.

The other thing I'd say in support of Apple's own hardware is it's generally very well built. The fact that I can access all the drives on my Mac Pro without needing a screwdriver, then pull a drive caddy and swap the SATA drive with only four screws is a feature I value. Also, I'm confident the thermal management is adequate. I've fried a few drives in the past because there was space inside the PC, but the machine wasn't really designed to incorporate them.

Ah yes, Silicon Graphics. The closest I ever got to one of those was peering over various operators' shoulders while they unveiled the wonders of CGI in one form or another. It's a sad paradox that as Macs have become ever more powerful, Apple's need to support pro users has become less-and-less. If the corporation wasn't making such huge money from consumer devices, we could probably still have Macs that were better focused on the needs of creatives, rather than throwing in what I can best call "life-style functions".

I installed W10 about a month ago, on the vague notion that "it might be handy". Since then, I've spent about 15 minutes on it. As Windows goes, it seems OK, but I haven't found a compelling reason to use it as yet.

Good to have the input. Adobe and Apple no longer work together as closely as they used to. In fact Apple's recent macOS does a lot that PhotoShop can do within the included Photos app. Strategically, Apply may want Premiere to under-perform against FCP. Shame, because I personally think it is the superior video editor.

Dick Blackmore, johnnymg and circles like this.
  14. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Blasphemy!!! Windows 10 is the best operating system that windows has released!!

15. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

You can buy commercial distributions of Linux, but in the 20 years we've all been running Linux here, I've never paid for it. I just upgraded my computer to the current version of Fedora, which is free.

simoncroft, circles and stratology like this.
  16. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yup.

I’m in broadcast as well. If you follow mainstream media news and politics I’m at one of the 3 main networks.

Avid is never going to go away. Well. I hope not anyway or we’re going to go through a major upheaval

When I was in Support at the last post house I worked at everyone was ga ga over FCP 7 on XSAN. One reality show had a utter nightmare with shared projects and while we were trying to untangle their mess they asked me about the folks who were editing a big sports event (well it was poker so not really LOL) taking up most of the floor and If they were experiencing issues. I said nope because they’re using Avid with Avid Unity.

With all it’s quirks there’s a reason it’s still the industry standard.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    circles likes this.
  17. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

For things that are computationally-intensive, I think having more CPU cores/threads will be beneficial. There are a couple of good CPUs on the market for that, the AMD Ryzen 3 3900x (12 cores, 24 threads) and the Intel i9-9900K (8 cores, 16 threads). The AMD Ryzen 3 3900X would probably be the better value for the money. If you can get a PC built around that, that might work well.

I'm not sure how much the GPU would be involved with video editing. If the software you want to use can make use of a GPU for processing, then a good high-end Nvidia (2070 or 2080) would probably work well. I'm not as familiar with AMD's GPU offerings.

18. CalicoSkies

I'm not sure if a Mac is significantly better for video editing than other platforms, but I've heard of a lot of people doing video editing on a Mac and their results seem fairly good. I typically don't associate Macs with bang for buck though, as Macs tend to be a bit more expensive than the average PC, as they tend to be a more premium computer.

simoncroft, thomquietwolf and circles like this.
  19. CalicoSkies

Most Linux distributions are still free.. The only reason you'd pay for Linux is for tech support (mainly commercial support), as with RedHat and such. Otherwise, you can freely download most Linux distributions and install and use them freely. Ubuntu is one of the popular ones. Personally I like Linux Mint (with its Cinnamon interface). As someone else mentioned, there's also Fedora, which is a good one. All free.

simoncroft likes this.
  20. circles

Very nice stuff!

The first actual 3D software I used was AutoCADD. Very primitive at the time. I was an artist at a firm that did interior design and space planning. Eventually I got my hands on TDI Explore, then Softimage, Maya, and others.

I got into 3D animation. We used SGI stations to make the South Park film (using Alias PowerAnimator). A couple of my shots below. (My boss is the character with the facial hair. The character's one line is complaining about the movie as he exits the cinema. Well, what do you expect, they're Canadians. ha ha)

It's funny the most high profile project I worked on has the 'worst' animation. Excellent. I was given the award of 'bloodiest shot in the film' (one of the battle trench scenes.) I both miss and don't miss being in animation production. I'm totally focusing on 360 video right now.

index.jpg index1.jpg

simoncroft and T Bone Slort like this.