Best Fender Sound? 65 or 68 Princeton Reverb (Both New)?

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
I may be able to buy a nice amp.

I have been so impressed by the Fender Reverb sound coming out of my Fender Mustang Micro, I want a Fender tube amp.

Is there much difference other than the price between the 65 & 68 Princeton Reverb amps?

I could splurge and buy a Twin Reverb but that is way too much for my needs.

Thank you.

PS. I know. This is another "tone" thread. I apologize.

64 Tele

Strat-O-Master
Feb 6, 2013
NW Arkansas
I'd previously had a vintage (1964) Princeton Reverb before selling it back in 2001.
I looked at the 65 RI and also the 68 Custom and went to a store that had both in stock and A/B'd them before buying.
I thought I'd go home with the 65 RI as I'd previously had the 1964. The 68 Custom was a warmer sounding amp and broke up a
little sooner than the 65 RI, and I ended up taking the 68 Custom home that day.
After a few months, I swapped out the stock speaker for a Celestion Greenback which was a big improvement.
The 68's weak spot is the stock speaker, so be aware of that going in.
I pair the 68 Custom with a Fender Blues Jr NOS (tweed) via either an A/B/Y pedal or the stereo out from pedal board. This combination (68 Custom and Blues Jr) sounds huge.

Deathray

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 20, 2018
Down on the upside
I have a ‘65 Princeton Reverb Reissue. I prefer the pristine cleans of that to the ‘68 I tried. My theory is- you can always dirty up a clean amp, but an amp that has less headroom can’t be reversed. Both amps sound great, though.
I did swap out the Jensen speaker, for a 10” Celestion Gold. It really helps the amp handle more bass, without sacrificing much chime.

But definitely get a Princeton!
My .02 have been added;)

DEXTER74

Strat-O-Master
Feb 27, 2012
Calif.
I can only go by online demos for the '68, but to me it didn't seem to hold up sound wise at slightly higher volumes with pedals, sounds a bit congested. The '65 does that better, so that is why I got one. I did change out the speaker to a 10" Celestion Greenback and that really helped in my book. The stock Jensen didn't do it for me. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
Thanks for the fine input.

My best bet is to go local and just try them out with my Strat and see which one works out the best.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
At low volume they're incredibly similar.

But at volume they're both splatty and fizzy.

Deluxe Reverb. That'll do the trick.

Remember we put a Rajun Cajun in my 68 and she sings the blues really well :thumb: But as a living room wanker I never get to full volume, 7-ish is my listening pleasure limit.

Deluxe Reverb….my #1 regular guy Fender amp.

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
Remember we put a Rajun Cajun in my 68 and she sings the blues really well :thumb: But as a living room wanker I never get to full volume, 7-ish is my listening pleasure limit.

Deluxe Reverb….my #1 regular guy Fender amp.

I guarantee the fizz will still be there. It's a product of the phase inverter. The super efficient RC just handles it better.

drunkgarbagecan

New Member!
Aug 3, 2009
ChiTown
Bordeaux Red 65 PRRI with 12" Green Jensen or get an older XD or I still dig my older Roland Blues Cube BC 60

The 68 was way to bassy for me

I had both 65 Bordeaux and 68. Kept the 65, sold the 68 and later sold the 65 to buy an Allen Amp. Used, the price was not that much difference, but the Allen had more controls