Join Strat-Talk Today

Best guitar under $350

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by UnknownPleasures, Aug 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Letting Agent Strat-Talk Supporter

Most prices here are quoted in US dollars, wherever the member lives. I don't know why, perhaps because it's an American forum? Availablity and prices are quite different over here though. You'd have to ask the OP for his reason, not me, I'm only here for the beer.

mcmacguy and Nadnitram like this.
  2. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I strongly suspect US-made guitars will get a little more expensive soon in the UK, due to the very strong USD and the slightly weaker GBP. In fact, at this rate, the whole argument will become irrelevant because the exchange rate looks like it could be heading towards 1=1. Right now 1 GDP = 1.2715 USD, which is going to up the cost of family trips to Disney World – or whatever – from over here.

All that aside, a pre-owned PRS SE Custom 22 would be within budget, as would many other used SE models, as was pointed out earlier in the thread. Another good choice, I'd say.

alainvey and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  3. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

It already is. Except for the PRS bit :)

simoncroft and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

At $350, you are most of the way to a used Baja Tele. Just keep saving.

alainvey and Tim S like this.
  5. mcmacguy

mcmacguy Senior Stratmaster

Says the dude using a chinese cell phone.....and a chinese computer......and a chinese everything pretty much...

Sadly, we have little choice anymore. I'd buy more USA products if I could, and do when I can.

I've played the Classic Vibe - and I still maintain IMHO that in the OP's price range an MIJ Strat is the best bet.

6. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

I got my 2010 MIM Strat used for $325 from Guitar Center.. it came with upgraded Rio Grande pickups. "Stelly" on the bridge... I wouldn't trade the guitar for anything.. but I did put a Seymour Duncan Lil 59'er bridge pickup instead of the Stelly

Seymour Duncan likes this.
  7. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

But you were....thats a fact your the one who brought it up, buying American over Chinese goods and how no ones cares about it anymore.......who the hell are you kidding old man....

I dont care if you said you werent, you were and well that makes you a liar now dont it.....

Just because you say you werent doesnt mean you werent. in the REAL WORLD, your the one who started talking about politics. You cant construct it some other way just because it makes you look bad....

Facts dont work like that.

8. The-Kid

Again you talking about politics.....So dont say you werent or arent the one who introduced the subject and blaming it on me like some coward. your the one who started talking about it, dont backtrack now.....

So unless you want to be kept on being called a liar own up to it and well just stop talking about it and defending whatever it is your defending because your wrong on so many levels and its about time you realize this.

9. Wayne

Wayne Strat-Talker

I can't get over the finishes on the classic vibes. Thick and plasticky. I'm not opposed to polyurethane, but the Classic vibes feel like a roller skating rink.

For your budget I'd wait for a new MIM Fender to go on sale.

10. Antman

Antman Strat-Talker

For that budget you could consider a Vintage modified Squier (i have the black one with maple neck)...or a classic vibe. I have a modern player Fender strat (white one) but not sure if they still sell these?..it cost around the same.

duzie likes this.
  11. carver

carver Gone strangling Strat-Talk Supporter

come on lads

you are both better than this.

Rastus likes this.
  12. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I’m not a huge fan of GC but their inventory and pricing for used is unmatched. Look right now and you will find many MIM’s well under $350. Many with upgrades like tuners and pickups. Some are ash body’s and most come with cases. Also, you have 30 days to return if you don’t like it

13. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Strat-Talker

Pickups are so subjective its not where they are made or even their price .Its what sound do you want ,where do you play and what volume ,what do play them through.I have found Tonerider(same as in Classic Vibes) to be a very good match for many US pickups including Fender Gibson and Keytstones and this is from owning them all..This may not be the case at above rehearsal studio levels for some .The only live I have played for decades is in bars and is mainly jazz so when they are at a higher volume who knows .What amp will make a difference .Both my local stores kindly let me plug their stock into into a Princeton reverb recording amp which at about 1000 UKP makes every guitar I ever try out sound great .Odd that .soe of the best Strat pickups I ever had were a set of SX SST Alnicos ,sweet ,bright but warm .Of course I sold to upgrade ...doh.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Zaxxon and The-Kid like this.
  14. Slawts

Slawts Strat-Talker

You could get a MIJ, Korean or MIM strat for that. I would add a Tokai to that list. There are a fair few about and the quality and playability is excellent, not to mention cult factor. If you don't know what you want go and play lots of guitars in lots of shops so you establish what floats your boat,

What sort of stuff do you like to play?

15. Xcore

Xcore New Member!

Bought a MIM Strat for £300 pounds STERLING today off eBay, mij stuff seems to be around the 450-500 mark. The newer prs se Range with the slight arch top are around the same but look much nicer then the older range imo.

Tim S likes this.
  16. Wayne

Wayne Strat-Talker

Sweet! You are going to be very happy.

17. The-Kid

If we are talking US 350$ which is what OP posted there are good option but namely the Pacifica By Yamaha as said before....

But for 300$ even you can get a Vintage Modified Squier....

I really feel these go under the rador to me they are Fenders made in China....with lower end electronics and pickups.

For 300$ it offers alot of value. So much guitar for so little case. And they play and for the most part sound amazing for the money. Just trade out the pups and some hardware 200$ after market and have a guitar that cost less than an MIM and sound just as good or better than even a Classic Series or MIA if you set it up right and use some nice pups.

Most youd spend is 200$ afterket for pups and possible labor.

These Vintage Modified strats are awesome and as much as I am a snoby guy I have no qualm recomending these to anyone looking for a great guitar period. Forget the great value. Its just an awesome guitar they make

duzie likes this.
  18. Slawts

Slawts Strat-Talker

Hope you enjoy it. I played a new MIM Standard when I was trying out amps a few months ago and was really impressed with the quality, sound and playability. Good choice.

19. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I just had an Idea that may or may not have been mentioned,.
    Purchasing used. A LOT of guitars in the used $200 range are really good when you put another $100 into them which is usually some neck
    work you can do yourself, a good setup, and intonation. then pickups for about $50 after you have had the frets redone which is usually around $50.
    Later you can spring for some better tuners. Even my American standard benifited a lot from locking tuners. I wont say the tone just went to AMAZING, it really did nothing for it,
    but the tuning stability, and the reduction in stringing were worth it alone. I had a broken wrist and could not play for months. when I picked her back up again a few weeks ago, she was literally only 1 cent off on the G. and half a cent off on the low e.

20. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Since the 20 year old OP hasn't posted since page one I'm guessing he got scared off by the "adults" on the forum. Awesome.

johnnymg and Rastus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.