Join Strat-Talk Today

Best overdrive pedal for a Strat?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by secreature, Apr 27, 2014.

1. secreature

secreature Strat-Talk Member

I use an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer. I am interested in the Zendrive that Robben Ford uses. It sounds killer. What kind of overdrive pedals are you guys using out there? Just curious.

circles and Lazar like this.
  2. frpax

frpax Strat-Talker

I mainly use the Fulltone OCD. I have a Boss Blues Driver that I use as a volume bump with less overdrive than the OCD.

circles likes this.
  3. premgem

premgem Senior Stratmaster

Barber Gain Changer all the way!
    Great for low and medium OD.
    Wampler ecstasy/euphoria is great for higher gsin

4. DrZ_man

DrZ_man Senior Stratmaster

King of Tone for low to medium OD.
    Zvex Super Duper 2 in 1 for more OD.
    Arc Effects Klone V2

stringerman and Lazar like this.
  5. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

I think the amp has as much to do with it as the guitar. My Strat prefers tubescreamers and the Fulldrive 2 into my Deluxe Reverb and Timmys and King of Tones into my Mesa.

It LOVES Klon clones into either one. That's the OD that seems to work with whatever I'm using.

6. Dunzie

Dunzie Strat-O-Master

I've owned a ton. The OCD, Tubescreamers, Blues Driver, Jeckyll and Hyde, tons of vintage Boss drives, Rats and more.

Today the ones I keep around:

- TC Spark Booster
    - Wampler Ace Thirty
    - Wampler Paisley Drive
    - Visual Sound VS-XO
    - Wampler Euphoria
    - Hermida Zendrive
    - Wampler Pinnacle

... And I also have a Wampler Velvet Fuzz which doesn't get played much but is cool enough that I don't want to part with it. I still have a Zvex Box of Rock and a Catalinbread Formula 5 but they're up for sale. I recently also parted with a Bogner Ecstacy Blue and Red which are great pedals but just redundant with the rest of my board.

If i had to pick favorites it would be the Zendrive for darker mid gain stuff, then Euphoria for more trebly mid, and the VS-XO for lighter gain. For high gain, the Pinnacle rocks.

7. Stevo

Stevo Strat-Talker

Older FD2. Great all around TS type overdrive. I use this one the most.
    Ibanez STL Super Tube (owned this one since the mid 80's)
    Maxon VOP9 Vintage Overdrive Pro. To my ears the best sounding TS I've used. I only record with it.

8. koensieben622

koensieben622 New Member!

Dr. No Powerdriver. Very warm smooth overdrive, and with a ton of gain if you need it. I only use 25% of it, and it gives rich overtones.

9. konceppt

konceppt Strat-Talker

I am poor.I just have a ts5 soundtank :(

leonard d rock likes this.
  10. Kiwiclapton

Kiwiclapton Strat-Talk Member

Hotcake, sweet thru my ac15 and blues junior, I think it's technically a distortion not OD,

11. QReuCk

QReuCk Strat-Talker

I happen to really like the natural drive of my Tech 21 trademark on each chanel, so I'm not using any overdrive pedal per se. Depending on my level of lazyness I sometimes use a Boss GE7 as a clean booster (almost flat settings, but a +4/+5db level boost). I can live with just using the volume knob of my strat with this amp though if I set the drive knob of each chanel to allow for that.
    With my Peavey Envoy 110, I always use the GE7, but with some EQ tricks in there in addition to a level boost. This allows me to overdrive slightly the clean chanel - which can be a cool sound if you know what you're doing with the slidders and the amp's TMB - and to add some character to the drive chanel (plus that amp benefits greatly from having a buffer in line). Probably not that much different than what a gain-on-zero-level-pretty-high TS would do, except I have 7 slidders to shape the signal instead of just tone knob.

This way I have 4 tones out of the Peavey:
    1° Buffered clean which works pretty well as a clean rythm tone. I might need to go higher on the guitar volume knob to compensate for the drop in loudness.
    2° Mid boosted clean chanel. This is my almost clean with tons of sustain and presence in the mix tone. My goto tone with this amp really, unless I need cleaner settings.
    3° Buffered Drive chanel set up for slightly overdriven tone. Not my favorite, but works well for slightly dirty rythms when I need to let bandmates do the frontman job.
    4° Mid boosted drive chanel. This is my lead tone with this amp, or my heavy riffs tone.

This isn't probably the type of answers you were after, but if you kinda like what you already have with just your amp, an EQ can often provide you with tons of options with a little homework (yes you need to do the homework of fiddling with sliders before you even start to realize what can be done with these things). Just understand that when they are inserted before the amp, they help SHAPE THE DRIVE of the amp rather than the EQ of what is sent to the HP.

12. oakhills

oakhills Strat Cat Strat-Talk Supporter

I mostly use the Lovepedal Amp Eleven

13. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a TS9 modded to original 808 specs, an OCD v.4, which are both sitting on a shelf since I got an EWS Brute Drive Eric Gales signature Ltd Ed model.

It goes from light to heavy and has a boost switch. I took the other two pedals off the board as soon as I was done playing the Brute the first time through my amp.

Now, I start over when the new build gets here. I'll run all the pedals through it and see what I like best.

14. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Boss Blues Driver and Boss Super Overdrive

Woodystrat and bluegtr like this.
  15. jmiller475

jmiller475 Strat-O-Master

I used to have a TS5 and those were pretty decent.

16. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Blues and Country pick'n

I have no argument against anyone's comments above, but I will say, I have an old style tube screamer and a Voodoo Labs "Giggity" ... I find that I use the Giggity a lot more than the screamer. It has a fat, juicy punch that I have not ever gotten out of any other distortion, fuzz or overdrive pedal. Hard to explain what it does ... Youtube it and see what you think. It is my #1 most used pedal when playing live.

17. agiehler

agiehler Strat-Talker

Does anyone use a PlexiTone?

18. TorzJohnson

TorzJohnson Strat-O-Master

On the low end of the price scale, I use a Boss OD-3. On the high end I use a Zvex Box of Rock. Both are good. My advice: save a ton of money and the Boss OD-3, it's really that good.

GaryCorby likes this.
  19. carver

carver Gone strangling Strat-Talk Supporter

the ocd sounds great with its low range when paired with a bright bridge p up, also if you place your ts9 infront of it, it will clean up the lows a lot and give it more of a voice. have fun!

20. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Strat-Talker

I am currently using a Way Huge Green Rhino - best OD pedal I've ever had. It loves my EJ Strat.

Mrtwotoneburst likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.